Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 19-01-2020, 22:30   #16
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Question What is the solvent base ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitfit View Post
Best thing once you've done with the polishing bit is a clear lacqauer.
Saves doing it again 6 months.
I've done a few now and easy with autosolve and a cordless drill and buffer. Takes several minutes max ��
I'm definitelyy going for a finish coat - can you remember what lacquer you used ?
I have a new can of clear lacquer the solvent looks to be Butyl Acetate based though this might be the propelant - not sure if it will damage polycarbonate.

The Turtle Wax Cleaner /Sealant arrived yesterday it's a sort of cream based treatment that you use like wax polish on a car!

I am minded to use the Turtle Wax as a uV screen afterwards. What I dont want to do is do a good job as I have done so far then find the there is a chemical reaction between the two. That would mean me effectively having to start all over.

Many years ago I tried to clean some old paint off a rear lamp on a Mini and the White Spirit melted the surface leaving my fingerprints behind !

Online research reveals Acrylic based paints are good.

Last edited by macabethiel; 19-01-2020 at 22:34. Reason: extra info
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 14:35   #17
kitchenman

Vehicle: maverick 1994 2.7 TD
Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenman View Post
There is a kit on the market, got some in the workshop, I will check it out later and post details, neighbour has Nissan sports car, worked well on his so
I got a kit to use on my Honda scooter screen
The kit
https://www.autoglym.com/headlight-restoration-kit
everything you need except a power drill 1200-1600 RPM
kitchenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 11:43   #18
macabethiel

Angry Work has come to a standstill for a couple of weeks.

Due to a recent Heart procedure I can't use either arm at the moment to finish the headlamp job, can't even drive again until next week.

When my two radial arteries have healed I will then go to the next stage, I have established that Acrylic Lacquer is the right product to use - it keys to Polycarbonate. A can of spray is well under a tenner so that will be my next phase. Will post pics when I have done the left hand unit.

So far have spent £5.99 on Turtle Wax product - Wet & Dry was from stock.
Old 30-01-2020, 17:28   #19
macabethiel

Default One restored headlamp finished.

I decided not to finish with a Lacquer coat at present as the finish is good enough without.

I have some decent uV blocker to use instead as a maintenance routine. If they do not stay clear for at least 12 months then I will consider an Acrylic Clear Lacquer at that point.

I did about 15 minutes of T Cut hand polishing then finished off with the Turtle Wax Headlamp restorer.

The final touch was using some Hard Carnauba Wax as a finish. The pale blue circle to the right is the image on the glass from the reflector where it has an oxidised stain from a previous bad bulb. The white bar low down is a reflection of my garage lights!

It's a bit of a gamble but I have found some LED headlamp bulbs on flea bay - if they are not too bright I will use them as the dip beam. If the scatter is bad then I will use them as main beam only. They should arrive tomorrow.

suitably polished by Teddy Bagshaw, on Flickr
Old 30-01-2020, 18:45   #20
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

They look great.. You should find you like the LED's as long as you have bought reasonable quality.

I have bought a few cheap ones over the years, and they put me off them, as they fail or start flashing, but spend a bit more, and the difference is a hundred fold.

I have the HID headlamps, but for some reason Jeep put standard tungsten bulbs in the DRL, parking, and fog lights. The HID's make them look really yellow, so I have been changing them out for quality LED's. I haven't done the fogs yet, as they use a really weird bulb, and I hardly ever use them any way, but the parking lights, and DRL's look great, nice and bright, but no glare.

I also changed the reversing light bulbs for some high intensity LED's which were far superior to the standard tungsten, but I still ended up fitting a pair of auxiliary white light into the rear bumper.
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 21:01   #21
macabethiel

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret View Post
They look great.. You should find you like the LED's as long as you have bought reasonable quality.

I have bought a few cheap ones over the years, and they put me off them, as they fail or start flashing, but spend a bit more, and the difference is a hundred fold.

I have the HID headlamps, but for some reason Jeep put standard tungsten bulbs in the DRL, parking, and fog lights. The HID's make them look really yellow, so I have been changing them out for quality LED's. I haven't done the fogs yet, as they use a really weird bulb, and I hardly ever use them any way, but the parking lights, and DRL's look great, nice and bright, but no glare.

I also changed the reversing light bulbs for some high intensity LED's which were far superior to the standard tungsten, but I still ended up fitting a pair of auxiliary white light into the rear bumper.
I have LED front side lamps & reversing lights. The LED headlamp bulbs have a 5 year warranty (probably worthless) the blurb says they have a built in cooling fan to assist the heat sink. As I don't need Canbus compliant they were pretty cheap at £13.90 a pair. All the mainstream adverts do not quote my fitting that is HB3. Worth a punt I thought - the standard Quartz bulbs are around the £6.00 mark a pair.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-4-Side...53.m2749.l2649
Old 01-02-2020, 00:57   #22
macabethiel

Thumbs up Nearside Headlamp with LED main beam bulb fitted

Difficult to photograph for full effect but this is the front with LED bulb fitted to main beam, the light is so bright blue it's amazing! As its the main beam I am unlikely to dazzle oncoming traffic as tbh main beam is mainly the preserve of a headlamp flash in an urban area.

I intend to contact the supplier on flea-bay to see if they do a dip beam version, existing dip beam is a 80W upgrade from the standard 55 W but it's pretty dull. You can't fit a main beam bulb in the dip beam side as the diameter of the boss is smaller so it will not locate in the lamp that has a three lug type fitting that rotates to lock in place. The generic term is a HB 3 fitting.

I have removed the offside headlamp (one bolt holds it in place) to start the polishing / restoration process over the next few days.

One lamp done LED bulb nearside by Teddy Bagshaw, on Flickr

Last edited by macabethiel; 01-02-2020 at 00:58. Reason: spalling
Old 01-02-2020, 11:53   #23
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

That's a big difference
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 23:46   #24
macabethiel

Cool Headlamps both done - waiting for LED Dip Beam Bubs to arrive!

Finished the offside headlamp on Saturday, slight change of method - used worn 240 grit to cut through the heavy yellowing / crazed polycarbonate then used 1000, 1500,2000 grit by hand finished with 2500 grit took about an hour and a half in total with intervals for a rest/coffee break.

For fine shine/finish I used T-Cut with a small drill mop head for 10 minutes followed by Brasso. Then used the Turtle Wax Headlamp restorer followed by hard carnauba wax finish.

I have manged to source some dip beam LED's from the same supplier, the Jeep headlamps actually have the bulb fitting type embossed on the lower edge of the lens & on the rear of the actual reflector housing.

I am well pleased with the outcome - hard work but way cheaper than replacements.

both headlamps defuzzed by Teddy Bagshaw, on Flickr

Dip Beam QI only by Teddy Bagshaw, on Flickr

Quartz Dip & LED mains by Teddy Bagshaw, on Flickr
Old 02-02-2020, 23:51   #25
terranosaurusdoug

That's better
Old 03-02-2020, 00:05   #26
macabethiel

Thumbs up Just need a road test at night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranosaurusdoug View Post
That's better
Can't wait to try driving in the dark especially the main beam!

The cooling fans on the back are virtually silent so I am optimistic they will last a couple of years at least. In the previous 5 years I have had two dip beam failures and replaced both main beam bulbs due to heavy blackening/oxidation. These are the LED bulbs I am using. Lots of options in the menu for other fitment types.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-4-Side...53.m2749.l2649

They do a lot of options if you have Canbus - more expensive though, the bulbs come with a small wiring harness attached that fits the Jeep, the connector is marked positive & negative so it was easy to connect them the right way first time.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-BAU15S...53.m2749.l2649

I use these for the indicators - the coating does not come off like the amber painted bulbs.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:57   #27
terranosaurusdoug

It will be interesting to hear what you think about them, I though about them a few years ago but decided to give them a miss because most people were having trouble with really light pattern. I could definitely use a brighter full beam, lots of dark country roads.
Do your lights have a waterproof cap on the back?

I wonder if hazed lights cause premature bulb failure, maybe reflects back too much heat?

I've put the indicator bulbs on the list ready for the next spending session
Old 03-02-2020, 18:50   #28
macabethiel

Thumbs up I thnnk the quality of LED replacement is improving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranosaurusdoug View Post
It will be interesting to hear what you think about them, I though about them a few years ago but decided to give them a miss because most people were having trouble with really light pattern. I could definitely use a brighter full beam, lots of dark country roads.
Do your lights have a waterproof cap on the back?

I wonder if hazed lights cause premature bulb failure, maybe reflects back too much heat?

I've put the indicator bulbs on the list ready for the next spending session
The rear is a semi waterproof fitting not a proper sealed backing cover but there is also a drain hole & pipe !

If the LED dip beam pattern is too scattered I will revert back to Quartz as I don't want everyone flashing me.

The front sidelights are 5w LED capless SMD been in since July 2015 - no flashing issues with them. They cost about £4.00 the pair.

It is possible that the bulb fails are due to overheating from the hazed headlamp lens as you suggest. I'm more inclined to think poor bulb quality or less than perfect connections. The wiring is 15 year old!
Old 03-02-2020, 23:59   #29
macabethiel

Cool Darkness Test done - well pleased!

Just drove round the block as its dark to see what the new bulbs are like, the Quartz Dip beam is much better but very yellow compared to the LED main beam.

The main beam is brilliant compared to what it was - not too much scatter just nice and bright!

I await the delivery of the LED Dip Bulbs with eager anticipation, I hope the dip cut off is okay - I guess I could use some maskers on the lenz if needed to keep them from dazzling folk !
Old 04-02-2020, 21:25   #30
terranosaurusdoug

If they ok I might try some, mine are one bulb for dip and main so I can't just have the main led'd