Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 28-12-2019, 22:23   #1
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Unhappy Anyone Here Interested in buying my old Aquarium.

I am going to be parting with my Aquarium in the New Year after about 40 years of ownership - I am wondering if there are any enthusiasts here who might be interested in such a well made classic from the 1979/80 era rather than flog it to anyone on Flea Bay..

It is a Juwel Gold Anodized Aluminium Bevel edged full framed tank - The Rolls Royce of the era before they went partially framed (top & bottom) & then frameless:

It's 48" Long x 15" wide x 18 inches deep the top has a built in rebate for a split cover glass. The Hood is a rare matching Juwel Gold Coloured Anodised Aluminium hood with built in light tubes. It was I believe built in the original Juwel Factory in Bradford before they moved, sold out & then were made overseas I think as they sold the Brand Name.

The condition of the Tank & Hood is very good for its age but obviously has some cosmetic ageing. About 5 years ago I had the base drilled to accept a sump filtration system by Wharf Aquatics of Pinxton who also re-silicone sealed the whole tank as a precaution against leaking. Those familiar with such filtration systems will know there is a small weir in the rear right corner for the outlet.

The sump is all glass and is about 24"x15"x15" with cover glass's, built in glass partitions for the filter medium and 3 Speed Sump Pump.

The whole tank is presently supported by a robust but not overly attractive wooden frame based on 2"x"2 wood with steel angle joints with two sliding front doors to make it look better.

It will come complete with the two heaters & Thermocouple controlled temperature system that sits in the sump with an external control unit for temperature control via the thermocouple.
It also has a uV inline filter Unit connected to the pumped filtered water return pipework. It even has a basic fan cooling system in the sump to avoid high temperatures in the summer - controlled if needed by the external electronic controller system.

The sump filter is fully insulated for economy - to give you an idea of cost back in 1979/80 the Juwel Hood at £150 was almost double the cost of the bare Juwel tank! I guess the original cost of the basic equipment was over £300 excluding the cost of later sump filter upgrade.

I am a realist I know used Aquariums sell for a fraction of what they cost so am more interested in it going to a good home than for a high monetary return.

I will get some pictures taken & post them up if anyone is interested - it will be buyer collect only with assistance to dismantle plus verbal advice for any follow up issues. PS not suitable for Marine use as the frame would corrode over time

Last edited by macabethiel; 28-12-2019 at 22:25. Reason: info
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote