Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Report Website Problems Here Only!

Report Website Problems Here Only! Please report here any problems you find with the new format site. Please feel free to post any comments you feel may improve the the site.

Old 29-04-2009, 13:07   #1
lacroupade
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Default MoD Powers MkII

Duh! MY fault, was originally trying to do a poll and wanted to post a test thread so ticked the box marked "lock immediately after posting"...its not a conspiracy, honest!

HERE WE GO.....

Just a thought for consideration.

With Bat seriously pre-occupied at the moment, its difficult timing, but perhaps the members should give the Mods an idea of what they believe is reasonable intervention, preferably BEFORE another thread gets out of hand. They don't have an easy role (I wouldn't do it) but I have to agree with a couple of posters that there has been little or no moderation in evidence lately.

Thats NOT to criticise the mods in any way whatsoever, let me make that clear - Bat's philosophy has been minimal intervention to date, but its clear that occasionally things are being said that cause offence in some quarters and could even have more serious consequences for the site or individuals if somebody decided to take things further.

This is a car club when all's said and done, as well as a largely friendly community where its always good to hear peoples views on run-of-the-mill things that are not car-related. Personally I don't care how wide that makes the horizon; its all part of the fun of the site.

But I think there are a couple of things we could do:

1. If its not something you'd say out loud in the middle of a busy street in a large city without expecting to have someone poke you in the eye or worse, then its probably not a good idea to say it on here. Thats just plain common sense. THINK BEFORE YOU POST.

2. I would suggest that if a Mod receives two or more complaints about the content of a post or thread, they should seriously consider locking the thread and/or removing any relevant individual posts. Being a pay site they are perfectly at liberty to do so.

I want to make it clear these are simply my suggestions - nobody has to take a blind bit of notice. But if they are considered sensible, someone needs to take the initiative in Bat's absence and make a policy statement before his (our!) site gets screwed. It doesn't take an idiot to work out what his view will be.

Other than what I've covered, I don't personally have any issues with anything else. Sick jokes, the odd rude word (already automatically censored by the site where necessary) are what you'd expect in places like the Pub Thread (the name is a clue!), but as I said earlier, there are plenty of things you'd only say in a pub if you wanted a fight or to get ejected, so don't be surprised if you get 'flamed' for doing so in the absence of any regulation!

And lets all just chill out and be nice to one another and our fellow man, whoever that might be.

Comments anyone?
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 14:38   #2
extreme-4x4

ok
well as i said my comment was as you know

but it was not meant any different than

not bloody likely
not bloody cricket
not bloody doing it

i still dont see the bit that someone dont understand but hey i give up trying
infact i had tried to not upset members and try to curb the language used...
not looked at the tread since , not going to either. have no interest in it....
next time someone else can sort it out,
he knows ive sorted problems out for him in the past so i was on his side.
as you know only too well paul.

fact is you cant please all the people all the time
extreme-4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 14:44   #3
Liam

Talking

Have to agree, anyone who wishes to continue with silly talk can always PM other people with similar views and rant at their leisure without upsetting anyone. Or they could just accept that a lot of people on here don't want to read this rubbish all the time.
Think we will have to change your name from Lacroupade to Captain Sensible,Paul.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 14:51   #4
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

we seam to go through this kind of then evert few months..

paying my £10 i feel our " guests " sould be able to read some of the site. but not post untill they have payed ther £10. they then cant ask questions.

I know ive helped some red people with there troubles. in the hope theyll join up. no sure if they do. but why pay if you get the help any way.

but then i cant say PAY UP and ill tel you. got told off for doing that kind of thing..
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 14:56   #5
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajo View Post
Have to agree, anyone who wishes to continue with silly talk can always PM other people with similar views and rant at their leisure without upsetting anyone. Or they could just accept that a lot of people on here don't want to read this rubbish all the time.
Think we will have to change your name from Lacroupade to Captain Sensible,Paul.
Captain Sensible in concert. Enuff said!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capt sensible.jpg (85.7 KB, 77 views)
Old 29-04-2009, 14:59   #6
Liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroupade View Post
Captain Sensible in concert. Enuff said!
He could be your twin,for God's sake!!!! Extremely close resemblance,especially on a Saturday night. No doubt Dadba and Lynda will agree.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 15:22   #7
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy656 View Post
we seam to go through this kind of then evert few months..

paying my £10 i feel our " guests " sould be able to read some of the site. but not post untill they have payed ther £10. they then cant ask questions.

I know ive helped some red people with there troubles. in the hope theyll join up. no sure if they do. but why pay if you get the help any way.

but then i cant say PAY UP and ill tel you. got told off for doing that kind of thing..
At the end of the day Zip its not our call really. Bat owns the site and we are only members who can't control what areas non-members can access, so I guess its up to individuals whether they want to help those people too much before they pay up like the rest of us. Clearly we could always say "we know the answer to this specific question is answered on the site so why not join".....
Old 29-04-2009, 15:26   #8
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme-4x4 View Post
fact is you cant please all the people all the time
The joys of being a moderator! And since you're a decent bloke with no 'side' to you Colin, thats why Bat picked you I suspect....what you haven't been given is clear guidance on what is and isn't acceptable, thats all. Plus you only mod us TW eejyits!
Old 29-04-2009, 15:47   #9
Tubbs

Vehicle: patrol 3.0

there are only two mods that can lock any thing in the pub area while bats away
Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 15:51   #10
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbs View Post
there are only two mods that can lock any thing in the pub area while bats away
Thanks Tubbs......any idea who they are as I'm just intrigued as to why they wouldn't lock an obviously inflammatory thread (or several as it happens), unless its forbidden to them to do so? Thats not to apportion any blame by the way, just to try and understand the policy of the site we are subscribing to and paying for.

Cheers, Paul
Old 29-04-2009, 18:45   #11
Tubbs

Vehicle: patrol 3.0

if you go on forum home page it tells you who mods which area on the right hand side in green
we can only mod certain areas what we have been appointed
Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 19:07   #12
lacroupade

Aha - got it. Tks Tubbs.
Old 29-04-2009, 19:19   #13
extreme-4x4

from what i understand of bats rule. nothing deleted and no intervention unless someone is being picked on or bullies. or a personal attack (typed obviously). no one here has been bullied or attacked personally

ok i cant edit what you write in other areas, but i can still try to advise.
its up to the poster what they write. they are responsible for what they write too. we all watch all posts. very very occasionally someone picks something up. and a note is passed on to the relevant mod

dont think the mod's want to edit anyway. most wont even get involved. i realise now why.
see... the rule is let arguments or disputes sort themselves out.
extreme-4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 19:57   #14
lacroupade

Yes but Ex this isn't about internal disputes, the odd fall-out is neither here nor there. The complaints have been about people making remarks or writing stuff that is at the very least inflammatory or offensive to lots of people, and at worst illegal as it could even be seen as incitement to racial hatred.

You might think I'm overstating things but there are better qualified folks on here than me who will tell you, privately or otherwise, that that is the case.

And that puts Bat firmly in the firing line as he owns the site and is responsible for its content, as well as the individual posters. If a formal complaint were made by someone then Bat would be obliged to provide personal details of anyone deemed to have offended.

If that doesn't make it sensible to lock or delete offensive posts then I don't know what does. Not to mention giving us all a rest from it.....

So if Bat doesn't put some guidelines in place when he's back and well enough, I'll eat my hat.

and probably stop using the site TBH. but I promise not to flounce.
Old 29-04-2009, 20:41   #15
(RIP) PLANK

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

lacroupade, I agree with your idea.

I think it would be nice to have a simple agreement about what is an is not acceptable that people agree to before joining, or posting and these guidlines being the basis for efective moderating.

it is also the case here that, despite peoples good intentions the things that were said in the 'im' not racist thread' just went from bad to worse, in a thread that had allready oversteped the bounds of both the race relations act and the race relations ammendment act (the second one being far easier to breech)

I have no 'side' other than to challenge prejudice racial and otherwise wherever it occurs, and not let things go unchallenged and get worse, this has happend in threads I have not contributed to at all!

an interesting thought:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
Edmund Burke

would it be better if we said nothing and let this run until some one made a serious complaint? that ended in legal ation?

There is allways talk of greater and greater control of internet forums and monitoring emails, due to terroism, child buse, etc, etc. and a lot of people object (including me) as i believe we have a right to privacy and simply put i dont want to be spied on!

This underlying trend towards racist coments at the slightes provocation is the sort of thig that will bring about offical monitoring of sites!

Also, people seem to 'beleive' each person is responsible for his own posts, i question that, as the site operator, of a paid for service, is responsible for its content, and it is they who will be prosecuted when things go wrong! and that is despite any dislcaimer you might include on the site.

I am a social scientist, and the theme of equality and diversity is part of my profesional capacity, I am not making this up! It is somehting that both should be and needs to be adressed!

When Mav instigated this in the sites last 'incarnation' he earned my admiration for doing so, OK it wasn' perfect, but it was a very good start, and an example of the good practice a proffesional organisation should be striving for, in many cases statments of equality and divesity are now required by law!

so Im for a simple set of rules, backed up by informed moderating, not even locking or deleting if that not what people want but simpy pointing out the inappropriatness of stuff and asking people to stop!

I do at times over react but, to be fair i am sick of this creeping rascism aimed at 'soft targets' if you ived wit it you would be to, so excuse me for being a little defensive and even aggresive in prevous posts, i dont beleive anyone here has set out to deliberatley offend wit their comments, and we should all move on now and accept mistakes have been made
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote