Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:54   #31
Jay666d
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Patrol GU3 (Y61) 3.0 SVE

Also, be careful when making a decision where to mount... To much white UPVC surrounding the camera will reflect the IR at night and the Camera will blind itself!
Jay666d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:15   #32
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
The Lorex 4 k system I looked at on e-bay is a 4 mp camera against the Hickvision being 6 mp camera. The mounting on the Lorex is more suited to where I would mount the external cameras. The Dome mounting is great for some but would not be suitable as our Eaves are too low making it easy to cover the cameras.
I think you might be confusing the stupid names they seem to use. A 4k camera should be 8 mega pixle in resolution.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 15:35   #33
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Default Hickvision v Lorex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret View Post
I think you might be confusing the stupid names they seem to use. A 4k camera should be 8 mega pixle in resolution.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lorex-4K-...53.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hikvision...53.m1438.l2649

That is interesting as the Lorex 4k systems seem to be referring to the picture signal for your Monitor as being 4k but the cameras that come with it are 4 mp. The Hickvision camera is 5 mp with a 4k output for the monitor ? . All quite confusing. If the camera is better for increasing mp specification that makes the Hickvision a good buy as it is cheaper as well. Advantage for the Lorex is that it uses PoE technology that sounds good.

As I am looking to buy when we move back home the game may have moved on to 6 mp or more.

Not sure how many mp my eyeballs are though, i can't see any difference between our new 4k TV and our old TV that was HD ready .lol
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 15:39   #34
macabethiel

Thumbs up Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay666d View Post
Also, be careful when making a decision where to mount... To much white UPVC surrounding the camera will reflect the IR at night and the Camera will blind itself!
Good point luckily I went for Black Plastic Fascia etc with Rosewood look Window frames. Only inside the house is white uPVC.
Old 09-04-2018, 19:58   #35
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

I'm after a 4 Channel with Bullet Cameras in the Hikvision brand after all the research I've been doing. I'm a bit knarcked off that the bullet ones don't come in a higher quality than 2.4MP

I hate the look of domes but really want the best quality.

So far though it looks like I might just bite the bullet and order this set

Grey in 4Ch with 1TB HDD £332 all in seems good to me

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hikvision...19zvWEriUwAYxQ

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 20:30   #36
Jay666d

HikVision do Bullet cameras that are above 2.4MP...

There was a good site I was on a little while back where you could mix and match products, I will see if I can find it!
Old 09-04-2018, 21:53   #37
Lazy-Ferret

Quote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lorex-4K-...53.m1438.l2649

That is interesting as the Lorex 4k systems seem to be referring to the picture signal for your Monitor as being 4k but the cameras that come with it are 4 mp. The Hickvision camera is 5 mp with a 4k output for the monitor ? . All quite confusing. If the camera is better for increasing mp specification that makes the Hickvision a good buy as it is cheaper as well. Advantage for the Lorex is that it uses PoE technology that sounds good.

As I am looking to buy when we move back home the game may have moved on to 6 mp or more.

Not sure how many mp my eyeballs are though, i can't see any difference between our new 4k TV and our old TV that was HD ready .lol
Not sure which cameras you are looking at, but our Lorex cameras are these...
LNB8005, which are 8MP/4K (3840x2160) @ 15fps.

While you can't necessarily see the benefits of the resolution when you look at it, it's the ability to zoom in, where the resolution comes into it's own.
Old 09-04-2018, 22:04   #38
Jay666d

It also looks like a lot of these are counting on the HikVision name by using one of their DVR/NVR's & using much cheaper cameras!

8MP HikVision camera's (Dome or Bullet) should be somewhere around £80 - £100 each.
Old 09-04-2018, 23:06   #39
Lazy-Ferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
I'm after a 4 Channel with Bullet Cameras in the Hikvision brand after all the research I've been doing. I'm a bit knarcked off that the bullet ones don't come in a higher quality than 2.4MP

I hate the look of domes but really want the best quality.

So far though it looks like I might just bite the bullet and order this set

Grey in 4Ch with 1TB HDD £332 all in seems good to me

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hikvision...19zvWEriUwAYxQ
Not sure I would go for that, BNC is a royal pain to work with, CAT5 or 6 is much easier. Not to mention, those cameras are only 2.4MP.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:40   #40
macabethiel

Quote:
Not sure which cameras you are looking at, but our Lorex cameras are these...
LNB8005, which are 8MP/4K (3840x2160) @ 15fps.

While you can't necessarily see the benefits of the resolution when you look at it, it's the ability to zoom in, where the resolution comes into it's own.
The Cameras in the e-bay link seem similar except angle is 101 deg as opposed to 88 deg rest of specification seems the same.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:44   #41
macabethiel

Default The link says 5 mp ?

Quote:
Not sure I would go for that, BNC is a royal pain to work with, CAT5 or 6 is much easier. Not to mention, those cameras are only 2.4MP.

I am leaning towards the Lorex system.
Old 10-04-2018, 14:17   #42
Lazy-Ferret

Quote:

I am leaning towards the Lorex system.
You are doing the same as us, we kept looking at all the options, but then finding something that put a spanner in the works for each system, in the end, we said sod it, and decided to pay a little more and get the one that ticked all the boxes.

You need to make a list of features you need, want, would like, and definitely don't want, as you look at each system, and don't forget a lot of the ones on Ebay tell fibs about how good they are!! Then compare each system to it, before deciding on what features you can bend to suit your specific application.

Like I have already said, for me, BNC coax systems are a royal pain in the butt. It's lossy, easy to damage, and hard to work with. You can take a system out with just a pin through the coax, which is easy to do, but hard to find...

Viewing angle is important, we wanted ours basically in each corner, so around 90degrees was about right, the wider the angle, the less usable distance, and the more chance of getting glare back from nearby objects.

With Cat5, you can spend a little more, and do like I did with a separate PoE hub, which means you can actually run fewer cables back to the NVR, making it easier to hide.
Old 10-04-2018, 19:32   #43
macabethiel

Default Nicely Summed up.

Quote:
You are doing the same as us, we kept looking at all the options, but then finding something that put a spanner in the works for each system, in the end, we said sod it, and decided to pay a little more and get the one that ticked all the boxes.

You need to make a list of features you need, want, would like, and definitely don't want, as you look at each system, and don't forget a lot of the ones on Ebay tell fibs about how good they are!! Then compare each system to it, before deciding on what features you can bend to suit your specific application.

Like I have already said, for me, BNC coax systems are a royal pain in the butt. It's lossy, easy to damage, and hard to work with. You can take a system out with just a pin through the coax, which is easy to do, but hard to find...

Viewing angle is important, we wanted ours basically in each corner, so around 90degrees was about right, the wider the angle, the less usable distance, and the more chance of getting glare back from nearby objects.

With Cat5, you can spend a little more, and do like I did with a separate PoE hub, which means you can actually run fewer cables back to the NVR, making it easier to hide.
What you are saying mirrors my present thinking. I plan to pop into CostCo when the wife is a little better.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:47   #44
perelaar

Vehicle: Terrano II 2.7TDi SWB '97

Whichever system you decide to use, if it is accessible over internet, make sure to change all passwords/login codes etc from their default settings.
Otherwise your house/life/family etc might show up on one of the websites giving a live feed of various security cameras
perelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 17:58   #45
macabethiel

Thumbs up Password Generation Tip !

Quote:
Originally Posted by perelaar View Post
Whichever system you decide to use, if it is accessible over internet, make sure to change all passwords/login codes etc from their default settings.
Otherwise your house/life/family etc might show up on one of the websites giving a live feed of various security cameras
Yes of course that is good advice I do not even use the default settings on my router username & I have a complex none word based (in any language) pass code for everything involving money or home internet access. I have no intention of connecting the system to the internet or using remote viewing by phone at present.

I learnt a simple trick for password generation using numbers from my first employers clock number as a basis for digits. I use an array of letters from a random book by reading vertically down the margin (left or right)for the letters. I had a lot of grief when the wife "lost" moved/put away the book/ I used!

If I suspect my system might be compromised I just use a different book or page. It is surprising how after a few months one can remember such a randomised pass code.

My encrypted password document safe just contains the page numbers for various log in sites I remember the book title quite easily.

My home CCTV is for two purposes:-

1) To provide live viewing when we are at home.

2) To provide after the event evidence if we have another burglary.