Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 07-04-2018, 18:50   #16
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Default PoE ??

Is PoE the same as Ethernet over Mains Protocol ?

I used to use this before I had a wireless printer.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 19:15   #17
jims-terrano

POE is Power Over Ethernet which basically means that power is passed through the CAT5 cables to power devices.

Different to those Power Line network adapters that you plug into mains sockets to transmit your network around the house and if you’re not careful around the close neighbourhood too.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 21:21   #18
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

WOT E SES!!

Your talking about the opposite, "Ethernet over power"

PoE uses a spare pair of wires in the Ethernet cable to send about 48v to devices that request it. It's an intelligent system, and prioritises ports so it does not get over loaded, but you do need a hub that supports it... the NVR for the cameras will support it from it's own Ethernet outputs. Failing that, the cameras have an extra socket to plug a 12v power adaptor into if necessary.
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:04   #19
macabethiel

Default PoE v EoM explained !

Thanks Guys it was Powerline adaptors that I have though I do not use them now.

I found that the Powerline adaptors would work around the house but would not pair up in my Garage probably due to the Garage having an additional consumer unit of its own and just too much loss in the system.

I just hard wired my Internet into my Garage having purchased a tool to connect to the female wall socket in my Garage/Office extension. I ran the cable through an old trunking that has my phone line extension cable in it that runs along the bottom of a boundary hedge.

I am minded to get the Lorex 4k system when it's time to buy. I can install the system in my Garage Office or Garage Loft provided the PoE will run between the house and the Garage without any problems. My Garage is probably more secure than our house.

My house has a split load Consumer Unit the none-RCB side supplies the underground cable to my Garage where I have a standard RCB only Consumer Unit.

At worst I might need to move the Garage connection to the RCB side of the Consumer Unit in the house to remove any losses.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:30   #20
macabethiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post

He advised me not to locate the DVR (main control box and recorder) in a different room to the tv or basically hidden from burglars. He did recommend a monitor screen in the room you spend most of your time, personally I don’t like that idea but as most systems have a web interface..
That does seem strange about not locating the DVR elsewhere so it's hidden from intruders.
Old 08-04-2018, 13:03   #21
jims-terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
That does seem strange about not locating the DVR elsewhere so it's hidden from intruders.
OK it was incorrect typing but I’m sure you got the idea of keeping the DVR hidden from intruders. No body is perfect.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 14:26   #22
Lazy-Ferret

Hiding it is good, but do be careful how well you hide it...

It needs to be near to a reasonable TV/monitor, especially if you go for the 4K one, as you may want to be able to look closely at the images. Obviously the bigger and better the TV/monitor, the more cameras you can clearly monitor at once as well. With our 50" TV, you can clearly watch all 8 at the same time, but when I was setting it up on the little 19", you could only really watch one at a time, as the image got too small on the others. On Playback, you can select up to 4 cameras at a time to watch, which can be handy when trying to find the actual time an event occurred.

You will need to spend some time sitting in front of it when you set it up, learn how to use it, and again when actually looking for something, so a comfy seated position is best.

It wants to be somewhere where the Temperature does not get too extreme. Lofts can get very hot in the summer, and that will kill the Hard Disk Drive.

When I used to install voice recording systems, one of the biggest issues was because they are a passive device, you tend to only go to use them when you actually need to find a recording, which in the ideal world is hardly ever. This means that if something has gone wrong with the equipment, you won't notice until it is too late. A lot of systems send Emails when things are not right, but of course, if the whole system dies, it can't send an email, which by default means every thing is OK. It needs to be somewhere where you will look at it every so often, ideally daily, to make sure the lights are on, and there are no beeps etc.

Spiders are obsessed with the cameras, and again, a quick glance soon tells you is one has decided to live on the lens... Login in remotely is good, but it's not as easy as just switching the TV to one of the HDMI inputs for a quick look. My Neighbour actually uses theirs to decide if they will answer the door or not.

I know a lot of these things can be done remotely, but it is much slower, it takes time to log in, then any recordings you want to view will need to be downloaded over the Net, which does take time, especially if you are viewing more than one camera's recordings, so I find that for ease, I go back to the NVR when I am really searching for something.

Just my 2cents worth...
Old 08-04-2018, 16:50   #23
macabethiel

Default Sorry did not realise it was a typo.lol

Quote:
OK it was incorrect typing but I’m sure you got the idea of keeping the DVR hidden from intruders. No body is perfect.
Okay you are forgiven but at least you know I read what you actually post!
Old 08-04-2018, 17:00   #24
macabethiel

Thumbs up Spiders used to set of our alarm system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret View Post
Hiding it is good, but do be careful how well you hide it...

It needs to be near to a reasonable TV/monitor, especially if you go for the 4K one, as you may want to be able to look closely at the images. Obviously the bigger and better the TV/monitor, the more cameras you can clearly monitor at once as well. With our 50" TV, you can clearly watch all 8 at the same time, but when I was setting it up on the little 19", you could only really watch one at a time, as the image got too small on the others. On Playback, you can select up to 4 cameras at a time to watch, which can be handy when trying to find the actual time an event occurred.

You will need to spend some time sitting in front of it when you set it up, learn how to use it, and again when actually looking for something, so a comfy seated position is best.

It wants to be somewhere where the Temperature does not get too extreme. Lofts can get very hot in the summer, and that will kill the Hard Disk Drive.

When I used to install voice recording systems, one of the biggest issues was because they are a passive device, you tend to only go to use them when you actually need to find a recording, which in the ideal world is hardly ever. This means that if something has gone wrong with the equipment, you won't notice until it is too late. A lot of systems send Emails when things are not right, but of course, if the whole system dies, it can't send an email, which by default means every thing is OK. It needs to be somewhere where you will look at it every so often, ideally daily, to make sure the lights are on, and there are no beeps etc.

Spiders are obsessed with the cameras, and again, a quick glance soon tells you is one has decided to live on the lens... Login in remotely is good, but it's not as easy as just switching the TV to one of the HDMI inputs for a quick look. My Neighbour actually uses theirs to decide if they will answer the door or not.

I know a lot of these things can be done remotely, but it is much slower, it takes time to log in, then any recordings you want to view will need to be downloaded over the Net, which does take time, especially if you are viewing more than one camera's recordings, so I find that for ease, I go back to the NVR when I am really searching for something.

Just my 2cents worth...
Thanks for the detail in your post. As we will have a large screen 4k TV in our bedroom I intend to put the DVR box in the eaves storage in the same room. The eaves are well insulated now and will be free from rapid changes in temperature & humidity. On the plus side that side of the house roof is North facing so gets no direct sunlight.

Before the fire it used to be a fairly constant 63 F as being the Sado I am I used to monitor my loft, bedroom, & eaves temperature with an aquarium digital thermometer. I used silicone sealer to stop spiders nesting in our motion sensors in our downstairs rooms.
Old 08-04-2018, 17:17   #25
Lazy-Ferret

Quote:
I used silicone sealer to stop spiders nesting in our motion sensors in our downstairs rooms.
OK, you can't make a statement like that with out more information!!! Is it the smell? How long does it last?
Old 08-04-2018, 17:32   #26
macabethiel

Talking

Quote:
OK, you can't make a statement like that with out more information!!! Is it the smell? How long does it last?
I asked for that I guess it's the PIR thingy.
Old 08-04-2018, 17:35   #27
macabethiel

Default Hickvision V Lorex

Quote:
Right after getting my head into gear. A friend of mine fits CCTV and he highly recommends Hikvision equipment with 5mp cameras. As said run cat5 which in case anyone isn’t sure it’s network cabling what is used for computers. He also sent me links for various adapters and a power supply.
He advised me not to locate the DVR (main control box and recorder) in a different room to the tv or basically hidden from burglars. He did recommend a monitor screen in the room you spend most of your time, personally I don’t like that idea but as most systems have a web interface I feel any device such as a tablet or laptop will be able to view the live feeds at any point or even connected to main tv setup. He also said if you think you’ll use 4 cameras get an 8 channel dvr basically so you can expand.
Ask away about cat5 cabling as I’ve got the tools to do it and maybe now is the time whilst building work is being carried out to run your cables even before you get a system.
Just been comparing the Hikvision with the Lorex and they seem similar in many ways probably a tad cheaper at first surf.
Old 08-04-2018, 17:55   #28
Lazy-Ferret

Quote:
Just been comparing the Hikvision with the Lorex and they seem similar in many ways probably a tad cheaper at first surf.
From reading between the lines when we were doing our research, it looks like Lorex seem to do a lot of badge engineering, and are basically a systems seller, making them up from other peoples components. Flir, Hikvision, and Dahua seem to be the main people they assemble from.
Old 09-04-2018, 00:24   #29
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Lets start pinging some links up boys and scrutinizing the best setups for the money, I too am in the market for an 8 Channel system for my new house

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:28   #30
macabethiel

Thumbs up

Quote:
From reading between the lines when we were doing our research, it looks like Lorex seem to do a lot of badge engineering, and are basically a systems seller, making them up from other peoples components. Flir, Hikvision, and Dahua seem to be the main people they assemble from.
The Lorex 4 k system I looked at on e-bay is a 4 mp camera against the Hickvision being 6 mp camera. The mounting on the Lorex is more suited to where I would mount the external cameras. The Dome mounting is great for some but would not be suitable as our Eaves are too low making it easy to cover the cameras.