Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 18-04-2018, 19:59   #16
Jay666d
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Patrol GU3 (Y61) 3.0 SVE

I love to see the support given on this site... Makes me feel all warm inside! (& I've been accused more than once for not having any feeling; 'Emotionally Void' was the exact wording!)

It takes a huge amount of bravery to tell others about it, so I commend you (and others on this thread!) for that!

It's hard to find the words to say, because being of a 'Sunny Disposition' I could come across as being a bit too light hearted about the matter!

I had no dealing with depression/mental health, until my last girlfriend. Up to that point, I'm ashamed to say that I could of fell into the category of those who would flippantly say 'Just think positive...' and other such cliche nonsense!

She really did open my eyes to the whole thing... And I honestly wish you all the best! Look out for those signs of dips, know your triggers... It's already been said, but I don't know too much more than that.

I was like a spotter for my now ex girlfriend, I knew the signs and her triggers, but all to often would still fall short!

Anyway, I could waffle... You know that as a big family, we're always here to lend an ear. (Or an eye if we're reading!)
Jay666d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 20:26   #17
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

It's crippling lately, that with a heavy dose of anxiety I'm struggling to work.
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 20:34   #18
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Sorry to hear about this and even more sorry that you have no family to call on for support, but you do have this family and in some ways can be more beneficial than the natural one, I have not experienced depression myself, but I can see that I could if I worried about workload or the mounting things that need doing at home, but one of the things that helps me is the fact I have an abismal short term memory, I suffer from tinnitus and can understand how it can drive people mad, but I have the ability to turn off from it, occupational therapy is to my mind the best "medicine" for both tinnitus and depression, you have made the first steps and are now discussing it, well done but I also think that work mates are not the ones to be confiding in, best regards Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 23:00   #19
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranosaurusdoug View Post
It's crippling lately, that with a heavy dose of anxiety I'm struggling to work.
Talk about it, mate, you're amongst friends here. I've pm'ed you and you gave me the strength to start this thread.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 00:55   #20
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Default The Black Dog as Spike Milligan called it.

My late Mum was what they used to call a Manic Depressive now called Bipolar Disorder, she refused medical treatment so had a pretty miserable life a lot of the time - that impacted on all of us when we lived at home.

I had one quite serious bout of Depression in 1985/6 that was job triggered it lasted about 8 months in total before a combination of medication & therapy sorted me.

My therapy consisted of Diary keeping where I would write a daily log of my fears when I got up and how the day worked out before I went to bed. Over time I could see my own improvements as I overcame my negative thoughts. Thankfully that has been the only time I needed medical intervention. As you know Depression is not just being a bit low in yourself it is a downward spiral with seemingly no end in sight often with no attributable cause.

My Brother has been on medication for mood swings for about 20 years.
He still takes Seratoin Uptake Inhibitors to manage his brain chemistry as we call it. The medication helps but his big break through came with Cognative Behavioural Therapy (CBT) though it took years for him to find a practitioner in the private sector that was any good.

CBT is quite a complex concept, it is not a one size fits all solution needing a skilled Psychiatrist to identify the causes of depression and come up with a treatment plan that works. I bought a book on the subject a few years ago in the hope of understanding more about it but it was very heavy reading and despite at least half a dozen reads I still find CBT very difficult to comprehend. I cant even begin to describe how it works but it does for many people.

You will find your GP can get you the help you need as well as finding the right medication to sort out the problem with your brain chemistry.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 16:21   #21
jims-terrano

Ironically this morning an email came through at work informing us that in May there is Mental Health week. My work place are having events to mark this, a very clued up place and supportive employer too and much as politically correctness would say it is wrong the place is a male dominated environment. Anyway here are a couple of links the email had.

Living with the Black Dog Of depression https://youtu.be/XiCrniLQGYc

http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 16:34   #22
don simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
Ironically this morning an email came through at work informing us that in May there is Mental Health week. My work place are having events to mark this, a very clued up place and supportive employer too and much as politically correctness would say it is wrong the place is a male dominated environment. Anyway here are a couple of links the email had.

Living with the Black Dog Of depression https://youtu.be/XiCrniLQGYc

http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/
Old 17-05-2018, 20:32   #23
jims-terrano

Well guys it’s Mental Health Awareness week and as promised my employer has been running events to mark this. Today I went to the Mental Health Awareness Session over lunchtime. There was a guest speaker Jon Moss premiership referee, what a great bloke he is and has his fair share of stress on the pitch and off including his daytime job. There was a lot of info about health and fitness along with try out sessions for different ways of exercise. There was also a free lunch
One thing that struck me is that a good diet can help tremendously with mood and outlook, apparently Omega3 is key which is not just oily fish but also walnuts are a large source of it.

Just thought it was a good subject to bump due the nature of this week.

Hope you’re feeling ok at the moment mate.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 08:28   #24
zephyr

Vehicle: 2001 TerranoII SE+ 2.7Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by don simon View Post
I think it's time to start dealing with this, and fitst thing is to get it out there and say that I have been diagnosed with depression.
...Recently I'm steps behind from other members, but just read this post. Sorry to hear about this but I praise your courage and I appreciate you what you shared how you are. Hope you are doing good.

As my partner used to have depression, I understand how hard things can be. Although it really depends on how it comes out, how heavy it is, how your circumstances are, in my very humble opinion most of people who have/had depression that I have met, are someone who usually makes their best effort, trying things to be perfect, have a higher expectation on things that she/he is dealing with, very thoughtful on people/things. So all who are hard workers

My partner's case was she had so many things to deal with, making her best efforts with all things she had ended up physical impacts on her body like pain/burning sensation with her shoulder, neck, back, then it came down to her arms, legs. She had to be off work for three months+. At that time I had a bit of problem to face the situation to support her. (I thought I'm like J-Tac, me too, I'm sometimes too light hearted. Looks like I have a laugh tolerance at quite low so it is easy to make me laugh) But in the end I have learnt but not 100%, to support her. When she's in a depression mode, she could get easily cry, shout or with pains over her body. But as she started to take medication; citalopram, she started changing her mood gradually for over long period of time to get back to how she was before depression happened.

Now she's fine (but easily can get pains all over her neck, shoulder, back so we are very careful about it), though sometimes she can get very stressed and unhappy when things didn't go well. Still I'm not doing 100% good to deal with her mood, sometimes something I do/I say would make things worse, but I think we are doing ok.

Thanks, Jim for reminding Mental Health Awareness week.
zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 14:39   #25
don simon

I guess it's time for an update and give thanks for the words of support, the light at the end of the tunnel isn't always an oncoming train...
It's good that you can be open about it at work Jim, I think that working in sales is a bit different and that there is so little understanding that depression would be seen as a weakness. I tend to look at as being challenging and character building, that when days go well that I look to see how the days went well and try and replicate this.
That might actually be normal for most.
This last week has been brilliant, and the weather has played a major part. I have done more cycling this last week than in the rest of the year. Exercise is important, and as Jim knows, diet is important. I think we know that I already take my food seriously and try not to eat rubbish, even when out and about camping.
So part of the self improvement is putting a greater priority on cycling, it has taken a bit of a backseat due to weather and work, I'm developing a strategy for when the weather is rubbish and when I'm working away from home.

One of the things I missed when I was in Spain was music. There's a huge amount of rubbish Spanish music out there, but thanks to 6 Music, I'm getting back into it.

As I said, this week has been good and one of the reasons has been that I've been busy, so guess what my objective is now.
Again that's probably normal for most, but a little insight into the thought process is connected into the point of doing things and it becomes a downward spiral. What's the point of ironing a shirt? It'll only get dirty and creased.
What's the point in doing the washing up? Plates will only get dirty again, just clean the ones that you need.
What's the point in hoovering? Etc, etc.
It's a negative thought process that makes inactivity a very easy option.
Training myself to think differently is a challenge, but so far, so good.

I'm trying to deal with things on my own, there is no family support because those barstewards are one of the contributory factors. I found a packet of Cilatropram last week and was tempted to open it, but I see that as a failure, I didn't need tablets to help me get depressed, I shouldn't need them to get me out of here.

I'm not sure if any of that makes sense, but it's kind of good to get it out there.

Thanks for the positive replies and feedback.
Old 18-05-2018, 15:44   #26
RJL Services

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano 2.7 2003

i suffer with severe depression for the last 5 years and tablets is all the doctor offers i did take them for the first year and found myself not being able to do anything that i used to do or make any type of descision i ditch them one day and suffered a severe withdraw from them the shakes was the worst but now i do feel better without them but still suffer from the depression and due to other health issues meant i had to retire but having time on your hands is the worst bit i find but try and stay positive and focused does help and even if it just setting little goals to get done does help to but the wait for any kind of therapy around me is a long one i have been waiting a year now for cbt with no help insight yet but do find my monthly talk with my therapist lady really helps me to gives me drive so the next time i see her i have acheived what she had set out for me
RJL Services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 19:18   #27
Blocky10

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 3.0 SVE Auto

Well those 2 posts are full of positivity
Glad you're feeling better about yourselves.
Just reading this thread is helpful
Blocky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 21:22   #28
johnb5177

Vehicle: 02Terrano II 3.0 SVE Auto

It is sometimes so very difficult to be or gain positives.....but they are there, we somehow cannot see through the fog...good friends help, as does exercise and good diet, as stated in previous posts.
I have been able to organise myself again, and returned to twice weekly sessions in a gym and pool....feeling the difference already.
My son in law is going through another bout of depression, and trying to help him......nearly the blind leading the blind....except in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king......
This site is so good, so much support from an extended family....
johnb5177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 21:50   #29
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

Your not the only one.

There are more of us than your ever think.

Subjects like this on a 4x4 site? Just shows how much we think of everyone here. Its not easy to stand up and some things. To family or friends.

I'm glad to say I know what causes mine, even better to know what helps me. Not all the family that's for sure! But friends, some I've not even met yet, friends here I feel help a lot more than they will ever know.
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 22:07   #30
johnb5177

Vehicle: 02Terrano II 3.0 SVE Auto

johnb5177 is offline   Reply With Quote