Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 13-01-2010, 09:46   #1
JoM
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano II 2.7TDISport LE
Question Hi - New to Site - After some advice please!

Hi All

Please forgive my 'newness' when it comes to 4x4 - I am a novice - putting it politely.

I have a 2.7 Diesel TerranoII SWB 2001 - I use it to pull my horse trailer - and in the 2 years i have had it - have never yet had to use the dreaded 4x4 stick!

The recent weather has now opened my eyes to how appauling it is to drive in rear wheel drive only in the snow, and after a quick read of the sunvisor for some tips i plucked up the courage and put it in 4H.

I have now got braver, as the weather has been decidedly more aggressive and used the scary stick a few more times - but i have questions - and the manual doesnt put it in an easy to absorb female language - so i thought maybe you guys could!

So (and i know you will all be rolling your eyes and laughing at me when i have finished - but i can take it LOL)

* is there a top speed i can go in 4h - is it just normal driving speed - so 60mph is acceptable in 4h?

* To disengage the 4 and put back to 2 wheel, i usually stop, move the stick and then have to reverse to make the light go out on the dash - the manual says you can move from 4h to 2h whilst moving - how is this so when i have to reverse to drop it back to 2h? And if i dont reverse, it sometimes refuses to go forwards. If i can move it when driving - which is fab if i can, and much more convenient - what speed do i need to be doing before i change back, and how do i do it?

* I was reversing this morning to park in 4h (had driven to work in 4h due to the weather, so not just engaged it) and the car decided that it was not going to move backwards - it felt as if i had the handbrake on - what have i broke!!!!???? I had to move it into 2h, move it forwards and then try to reverse again to make it move.

* If i am driving over slippy patches, and then non slippy patches, can i leave it in 4x4 mode? Will it damage anything if i leave it in 4x4 mode if it isnt required - I have heard the term windup? What is this?

So - as you can see - i am a complete novice - i am also slightly worried i have broken something when it refused to reverse!

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Many thanks

Jo
JoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 10:38   #2
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

Hi Jo, welcome to the site, I have been driving my Maverick (Terrano II in disguise) for 14 years, so I understand your concern. There are lots of threads on this subject, but to put it in a nutshell, Earlier terranos have automatic free wheel hubs, that when you engage 4x4 on the small lever the front propshaft rotates and thus locks the front hubs. If you do this on dry tarmac, and the tread wear on the front and the back is different you will get "Transmission wind-up" ie 1 rev of the rear wheel does not cover the same distance as the front wheels, so they have a braking effect, as tyres tries to slip. This is worse if you are turning.

You can first select 4x4 while moving at up to 25 mph and continue to normal road speeds as conditions will allow.

However if driving on slippery road with 4x4 H engaged, when you come to tarmac, push the 4x4 lever forward ( no need for use of clutch) to disengage drive to the front axle.

At this stage the front hubs are still engaged, and front prop shaft rotating via front wheels. So you can now slip the lever back into 4x4 at speeds greater than 25 mph however if you have reversed without 4x4 engaged the front hubs should dis-engage, so selecting 4x4 now will mean that you must do less than 25 mph to be able to re-engage them again.

This last week I select 4x4 and then drive and move the 4x4 lever back and forth to select best traction. ie 4x4 on slippery junctions to help stop and pull away.

If you notice a braking effect while driving then take it out of 4x4.
Check compatibility of the tyres all round different tyres with different tread depth will make " wind up" worse on any thing but slippery surfaces.

Your Terrano also has a 4x4 Low selection. To engage this you have to STOP then PUSH the 4x4 lever down then back, this has the effect of halving all the gear ratios. Max road speed 30 mph... But this is another story.
This is useful for descending slippery hills, when in 4x4 Low, 1st gear with no throttle the Terrano will go at a snails pace with Maximum Torque.

I hope this helps. best regards Richard (Rustic)
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 11:13   #3
jims-terrano

Hiya and don't worry everyone has to learn about these trucks. There's loads of threads at this time of year on similar subjects. The main problem is 4wd doesn't get used and then all of a sudden people want 4wd and it don't work. If you have horses you'll have access to a field or rough track, best every month or so to slip it in to 4wd and drive forwards and backwards a short distance to keep it all loose and running free.

Your Sunvisor or manual will give you max speeds and when you can and can not engage 4wd so with a bit of help from here those should be easier to understand.

First of all if you stop and engage 4wd set off slowly to reduce stress on the all important front hubs, it's the innards of the hubs that tend to cause problems.

Only use 4wd on slippery surfaces, if you then drive onto a hard surface don't panic just move the little lever forward firmly and you'll be back in 2wd. you only need to stop if the green light doesn't go out, sometimes foot off the pedal will let the green light go out once back in 2wd.

Manoevering in 4wd, yes it'll feel different because the front wheels want to go straight. Mines feels horrible whilst backing into my drive but as long as there's something slippy under the tyres it shouldn't cause damage.

4L - You can only engage this whilst not moving, I use handbrake and put main gear stick into neutral and then pull the little lever all the way back and push down to move into 4L. Same only other way round to get out of 4L. 4L in 1st gear will crawl, ideal to manouver your horse box perhaps? but again on slipper or loose surface. Yes you can use other gears besides 1st.

Yes when finished with 4wd drive in the opposite direction for a few feet to disengage the hubs but this has to be done in 2wd. Doesn't have to be done straight away but as soon as it's safe to do so. Remember the car behind wont expect you to reverse up a few feet!!

Next thing, pay the membership and get loads more info and banter

Jim T

PS your right to be cautious
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 12:32   #4
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoM View Post
Hi All

Please forgive my 'newness' when it comes to 4x4 - I am a novice - putting it politely.

I have a 2.7 Diesel TerranoII SWB 2001 - I use it to pull my horse trailer - and in the 2 years i have had it - have never yet had to use the dreaded 4x4 stick!

The recent weather has now opened my eyes to how appauling it is to drive in rear wheel drive only in the snow, and after a quick read of the sunvisor for some tips i plucked up the courage and put it in 4H.

I have now got braver, as the weather has been decidedly more aggressive and used the scary stick a few more times - but i have questions - and the manual doesnt put it in an easy to absorb female language - so i thought maybe you guys could!

So (and i know you will all be rolling your eyes and laughing at me when i have finished - but i can take it LOL)

* is there a top speed i can go in 4h - is it just normal driving speed - so 60mph is acceptable in 4h?

* To disengage the 4 and put back to 2 wheel, i usually stop, move the stick and then have to reverse to make the light go out on the dash - the manual says you can move from 4h to 2h whilst moving - how is this so when i have to reverse to drop it back to 2h? And if i dont reverse, it sometimes refuses to go forwards. If i can move it when driving - which is fab if i can, and much more convenient - what speed do i need to be doing before i change back, and how do i do it?

* I was reversing this morning to park in 4h (had driven to work in 4h due to the weather, so not just engaged it) and the car decided that it was not going to move backwards - it felt as if i had the handbrake on - what have i broke!!!!???? I had to move it into 2h, move it forwards and then try to reverse again to make it move.

* If i am driving over slippy patches, and then non slippy patches, can i leave it in 4x4 mode? Will it damage anything if i leave it in 4x4 mode if it isnt required - I have heard the term windup? What is this?

So - as you can see - i am a complete novice - i am also slightly worried i have broken something when it refused to reverse!

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Many thanks

Jo
JoM - the correct answer to your question depends a lot on what model truck you have got. So tell me, what does your front bumper look like - does it have two 'teardrop' cutouts at either side, and are the black plastics in the grille a bit like a spiders web pattern? If so then you have a MkIII which probably has auto hubs, so the advice you've been given so far is fine. Your manual and sun visor should also tell you not to engage 4wd (high) at no more than about 20mph.

Windup occurs when you try and execute tight turns on relatively dry surfaces with 4WD engaged - you will definitely feel it happening and its as if the transmission and steering is tightening up and the vehicle trying to skip - thats the tyres trying to absorb the transmission stresses. If it happens just select 2WD because as has been said, although it leaves the gubbins at the front wheels rotating (CV joint and driveshaft), they are then free of the differential and therefore have no drive to them. But you should still do the reversing bit at some stage as that then stops everything from rotating, saving a bit of fuel and wear.

Driving straight on mixed surfaces should be OK....its the tight turns that cause the problem, but ideally you ought to be on 4wd only when its very wet or slippery - or for short periods in the dry when trying to negotiate, say, a difficult slope.

But if your bumper/instructions are different, let us know as the procedure is different (and easier).
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 13:27   #5
JoM

Hi

Thank you all so much for you quick and generous advise (and no ridicule LOL)!!

Miraculously, it doesnt sound like I am going anything too wrong!!!!

I think my reversing issue was down to the fact that i was in 4h and our carpark is not overgenerous on manouveing room, so i was in full lock - so probably wind up caused it to throw the anchor out as it wasnt over slippery in the carpark?! LOL

I think i had a bit of wind up this morning as it did a skip thing when i did a hard right at the traffic lights - however, now i can use that stick back to 2h without stopping, that should be a problem now in the past! Will I have damaged anything this morning or will it be ok? It seemed happy enough once it was back in 2H.

I havent used the 4x4 since i have had it, so was dubious it would even work after being dormant for 2 years! I will bounce it up the track once a month if it keeps it happy!

I think the advise so far is correct for my car - the bumper does have some cuttings out at the sides and the grill eats my sponge every time i wash it because of the spider web effect!

I am just nervous about moving the stick back to 2h whilst i am moving! I have a vision of grinding to a sudden halt!! I will have to build myself up to it i think! LOL

Jim T - Thanks for the 'setting off slow' advice once 4x4 is engaged - how did you know i set off like a bull in a china shop?!

I am going to print all this advise off and read it again - and again! In the hopes that it may sink in!

I am just scared to death of breaking the blasted thing!!!

Thanks for all your help - what a fab site!
Old 13-01-2010, 13:30   #6
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post

Next thing, pay the membership and get loads more info and banter

Jim T

PS your right to be cautious
Yep be very cautious, there are a few odd people here ( funny ), the banter and fun is well worth the £10 alone

Zippy
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 13:42   #7
lacroupade

I wouldn't worry too much, they are pretty robust trucks and you are unlikely to have done any damage. But as you say, lack of use is never good, so use it whenever its appropriate.

And Jims advice about rate of setoff is good - too many people think 4wd is a panacea when in fact the advice should be to select it, then drive in the conditions as if you only had 2wd....its an added safety margin if you like. Its still very easy, with all the torque the engine has, to slide the thing by giving it too much wellie when driving off - we know, thats what we do for larfs, but then we are just men aren't we!

When you have more confidence, you should try 4wd low as well - as has been said, it will drive you out of (or up!) pretty much anything and the lower revs its doing at the wheel (remember low drive halves the ratios so while the engine note still sounds the same, the wheels are rotating at half their normal speed) means less chance of wheelspin....
Old 13-01-2010, 13:45   #8
jims-terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy656 View Post
Yep be very cautious, there are a few odd people here ( funny ), the banter and fun is well worth the £10 alone

Zippy
No Zippy you misunderstood, I wasn't meaning anything about you

Just be cautious about 4wd untill you know what your doing

Jim T
Old 13-01-2010, 13:47   #9
danielj

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDI 03 LWB

[QUOTE=JoM;77817]Hi

I think the advise so far is correct for my car - the bumper does have some cuttings out at the sides and the grill eats my sponge every time i wash it because of the spider web effect!

Great, you also have the spiderman grill thingy. A Mark III model I believe if others on here are correct. Use mine now and then for towing or driving in fields and would usually knock it into 4wd if the ground is anyway soft. I don't know an awful lot about the mechanics of the 4wd either but every now and then I have a look at the instructions on the sun visor just to make sure I'm not going to grind anything to a pulp. Don't know if they are that easy to break though. They are fairly solid machines. They do have a good 4wd and you can really feel it pulling on the tarmac or solid ground and trying to skip if you are not going in a straight line --and hence you should know when to knock it back to 2wd. Its a pity to have the 4wd and not use it.
danielj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 13:47   #10
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
No Zippy you misunderstood, I wasn't meaning anything about you
but then again....
Old 13-01-2010, 13:48   #11
zippy656

i could get up set..

maybe not then... i know im odd...
Old 13-01-2010, 13:50   #12
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy656 View Post
i could get up set..

maybe not then... i know im odd...
Zipp don't worry - that thing with the goat happened a long long time ago....
Old 13-01-2010, 13:50   #13
zippy656

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroupade View Post
Zipp don't worry - that thing with the goat happened a long long time ago....

ah, your mixing me up with makeitfit i think
Old 13-01-2010, 14:05   #14
JoM

You are all as crazy as I am!!!

I will admit, that i did get stuck a few weeks ago on a hill of sheet ice - hadnt used the 4x4 stick before - it just started sliding backwards - even with the handbrake on! Scared myself to death - i am not a brave person, and dont 'do' out of control!! I would have jumped out i think if i thought i could stand up and out run it! I had to call a friend (male, funnily enough who quite enjoyed the horror of no control!) to come and glide it back to the bottom, engage the 4L and drive it out for me! He did try to explain some bits to me, but i had lost the plot by then!

Which was when i broke out the manual and tried to learn - and thought i had better try get it explained in a simpler format!!!!

I love it!!!
Old 13-01-2010, 14:19   #15
jims-terrano

Sliding on ICE is not nice at all and is very dangerous even with 4wd. The road where I live is terrible at the moment with black ice and there's been several bumps in the area. I live on a hill and woke this morning with the sound of spinning rubber. Got a text from my daughters school saying it was closed so used it as an excuse to book a days leave from work. Didn't fancy dring 26 miles to work and have to risk the car park which is also on a hill.

Jim T