Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 13-02-2020, 17:46   #16
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Question So Cat 5 is okay then I wonder what the cable I used was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret View Post
Main thing with cat 6 is it has a sheild round the cables and a tighter twist to the pairs. I used it, as it gives the cable a bit more protection and strength when pulling it down long conduits.

Mine ran between sockets, so I earthed the screen to the house mains earth, like coax would be to help reduce noise, since it was sharing the conduit with an armoured mains cable as well.

I am pretty sure that cat5 can go up to about 100 meters without any issues with speed/loss so you should be fine with either. I got mine from Screwfix.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never thought of screwfix tbh ! Other thing I have noticed is that some is listed on flea-bay as having copper strands - not really any dearer either - is it worth using instead ?
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 18:46   #17
Lazy-Ferret
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
Never thought of screwfix tbh ! Other thing I have noticed is that some is listed on flea-bay as having copper strands - not really any dearer either - is it worth using instead ?
Not sure. I think generally, you have solid copper or aluminium. Aluminium is the best conductor, but you can only terminate it in IDC, rather than being able to solder it, but since most CAT 5/6 stuff is IDC anyway that would not be a problem. The only really reason to use strands is cable flexibility, but I would worry about the outer strands cutting when forced into the "V" of the IDC connector, and the inner ones just not making a good contact

I have never used stranded, but I think I would stay away from stranded as I can foresee more hassle than advantages.

I know that the stranded telecom cable only worked when soldered, or was put under a screw connector, it was very unreliable if you tried to use any of the newer IDC terminations on it.

I am a bit disillusioned with Ebay at the moment, after using it for years, and only having had a couple of issues that were easily resolved, I have had so many disputes this Christmas/New Year. People selling substandard things pretending it is much better than it is, now seems to be the normal. At least with Screwfix, you can read their reviews, and they publish both good and bad allowing you to make up your mind.
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote