Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 28-12-2017, 21:18   #1
gwebstech
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Pathfinder
Default Hi! Looking to buy a pathfinder

Im considering buying my first Nissan and before i do iwant to see if i can avoid the crap i got with my vauxhall diesel engine.

I had an Astra diesel and as i usually only do town driving the EGR was a constant PITA and it clogged up no end! So if im about to buy a pathfinder diesel im wondering if the EGR are such a hassle on these too as theyre Japanese i hear that the EGR placement is different to the european placement like my astra and cause less issues.

Does anyone know if this is true?

And also does anyone know why some pathfinders tax is £500 and some £300 for the same size engine??

thanks
gwebstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 21:35   #2
jims-terrano

Tax brackets changed around March 2006 I think it was which is why same vehicle with same engine can have a higher tax bracket. Lots of vehicles have this little gremlin.

Think you need to look closely at the chassis around rear spring hangers as they tend to crack just like the Navaras of that sort of age.

That’s about as much as I know about Pathfinders
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 08:09   #3
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Default Pathfinders

I don't know a lot but early ones around 2005 had overheating issues.http://www.nissanproblems.com/vehicles/pathfinder/

Last edited by macabethiel; 29-12-2017 at 09:38. Reason: link
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 18:42   #4
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

I got told to check front of chassis too as the wheel or steering mech can rub and cause a rot spot. Don't worry about egr valves, blank the egr and have the programming for it deleted from the ecu, very standard stuff mate:thumb
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:06   #5
Thomas-the-Terrano2

Vehicle: Terrano2 R20 lwb 2.7TDi

always liked them, had a test drive in a demo unit about 12 years ago and certainly different to terrano.

we liked the third row feature that has a useable, well bigger than the t2 boot plus seats fold into floor zafira style.

whilst looks longer think is only same foot print, as body is taken over t2's spare and of course spare is underneath.

for lower tax, dont go younger than a 55 plate, technically the odd 06 registered straight away could beat the 6/3/06 cut off, though suppose these early ones are getting long in tooth too now....

I was under impression pathy is integrated chassis/body unlike navara but couple of reviews read last night suggest own chassis too?

The transfer box is more sophisticated, like a shogun has 2wd rear, 4wd road, 4wd off road all high ratio, and 4wd off road low ratio. less attractive to me is its dial select rather than a proper lever, to me electronics to fail.....

Saying this as saw what I presume is an 05 for sale last night near me and toying with upgrading our 53 plate terrano, unless keep it.....

the 2.5 td in the the nav before this one had issues but dont think in this nav and path are too bad. I do recall thinking 6 speed manual was an aquired taste compared to terrano, maybe would look for an auto. but then have to check for any towing weight reductions.

Would say that for being in production all this time dont see that many, mind plenty of Navs about so maybe general down turn in suv market. dont know may terrano owners that went to pathys, though several went to terracans and sorentos. I do like the yank styling but for what was supposed to be Nissans world suv never seen much in way of aftermarket kit for them.

for me still going to 50/50 between a pathy or same age patrol. Or look outside the marque, suppose as a cousin these days a shogun with cracking 3.2did, disco 3 ( shock horror ) or wild card jeep commander ( merc 3L v6 )

'60' 2010 Ford C Max Zetec 1.6i, black

'56' 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0TD, silver

2021 Bailey Pegasus Grade SE Turin caravan

Smile, its more likely to confuse.

One Life, Don't Just Live It, Drive a Nissan, or ...... a Jeep.

Owner of Nissan 4x4s 2005 to 2019, and maybe in the future too!
Thomas-the-Terrano2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:20   #6
jims-terrano

If you do a YouTube search for West Yorkshire Engine Services. The bloke on there seems to talk about Navaras and Pathfinders having similar engine and chassis issues.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 13:32   #7
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas-the-Terrano2 View Post
always liked them, had a test drive in a demo unit about 12 years ago and certainly different to terrano.

we liked the third row feature that has a useable, well bigger than the t2 boot plus seats fold into floor zafira style.

whilst looks longer think is only same foot print, as body is taken over t2's spare and of course spare is underneath.

for lower tax, dont go younger than a 55 plate, technically the odd 06 registered straight away could beat the 6/3/06 cut off, though suppose these early ones are getting long in tooth too now....

I was under impression pathy is integrated chassis/body unlike navara but couple of reviews read last night suggest own chassis too?

The transfer box is more sophisticated, like a shogun has 2wd rear, 4wd road, 4wd off road all high ratio, and 4wd off road low ratio. less attractive to me is its dial select rather than a proper lever, to me electronics to fail.....

Saying this as saw what I presume is an 05 for sale last night near me and toying with upgrading our 53 plate terrano, unless keep it.....

the 2.5 td in the the nav before this one had issues but dont think in this nav and path are too bad. I do recall thinking 6 speed manual was an aquired taste compared to terrano, maybe would look for an auto. but then have to check for any towing weight reductions.

Would say that for being in production all this time dont see that many, mind plenty of Navs about so maybe general down turn in suv market. dont know may terrano owners that went to pathys, though several went to terracans and sorentos. I do like the yank styling but for what was supposed to be Nissans world suv never seen much in way of aftermarket kit for them.

for me still going to 50/50 between a pathy or same age patrol. Or look outside the marque, suppose as a cousin these days a shogun with cracking 3.2did, disco 3 ( shock horror ) or wild card jeep commander ( merc 3L v6 )
That's a nice little write up there mate 2

My brother was toying with the idea of one, I think he'd still consider one if it came up at the right money

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 13:52   #8
Thomas-the-Terrano2

Vehicle: Terrano2 R20 lwb 2.7TDi

err not so sure now, always understood pathfinder R51 was no on separate chassis, as D40 Navara has. but Wiki says they share the F Alpha platform...

Believe on Navs the rot is rainwater between the cab and bed, so the SUV should fair better
but need checking. The snapped chassis navara group has thousands of members be they
affected or concerned.

Some info here, though refers to checking PFs, unclear if any caught the disease.

http://www.europe4x4mag.com/2017/02/...nissan-navara/

'60' 2010 Ford C Max Zetec 1.6i, black

'56' 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0TD, silver

2021 Bailey Pegasus Grade SE Turin caravan

Smile, its more likely to confuse.

One Life, Don't Just Live It, Drive a Nissan, or ...... a Jeep.

Owner of Nissan 4x4s 2005 to 2019, and maybe in the future too!
Thomas-the-Terrano2 is offline   Reply With Quote