Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:08   #1
dan_the_drifter
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano 2 2.7td
Thumbs up Terrano 2 owner from down south got a couple questions

Hi,

To start sorry for late night post started to write this then got distracted and came back to it ha ha!

I've owned my 2003 2.7 terrano for about a year and a half now, use it as a general runaround but also to tow my drift car to events all over the country. Has been great and very reliable (the reason I bought it in the first place knowing it was gear driven etc) I just have a couple questions:

I am a mechanic by trade but mainly mess around with petrol tuning etc, have a good bit of experience with turbos, boost and afr's on petrols etc but my diesel knowledge is more limited my first question is have many people found any performance gain from fitting a 2.5" exhaust from say the elbow/downpipe back as I have my old s/s system off my 200sx that I upgraded earlier in the year so I could cut up and use that, i'm quite handy with the welder so not worried about fabricating bits. I was going to fit an egt sensor in the downpipe at the same time?

Also what are peoples experience with re-maps on the td27 intercooled engine? I find when towing it could do with just a bit more grunt and it can't quite pull 3rd gear up some of our steep/long motorway hills we have down here in Devon but 2nd is revving the engine flat out. I am pulling 2ton behind it though so not expecting to be racing anyone just curious if people noticed they could stay in a higher gear for a lot longer after a map?

Had a quick look through and you all seem like a friendly bunch. Any help much appreciated! Cheers
dan_the_drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:14   #2
jims-terrano

I never found my old 2.7 lacking when towing. Heaviest thing was a transporter with another Terrano for about 15 miles and seemed fine, caravan next heaviest which went all over until we sold it. Solarman might be able to give further advice as he tows an off roader on a trailer.

Welcome aboard by the way and yes this is a great place, found several groups and forums but nowhere seems to have the same atmosphere.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:31   #3
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

I think Makeitfit fitted a large bore exhaust, but in order to get the best results, he built a new less angled corner for the turbo so he got better through flow right from the start.. I think you will need to join up to see his post on that though...

I have not had a remap, but I do notice the difference when towing our Caravan, which is an Adria, so comes in at about 1.8tonne, if I have not turned on the MAF Amp.

I normally leave it on, but turned it off for the MOT, and forgot to turn it back on. On Reigate Hill on the M25, solo, I can leave the top of the hill at 70mph, if nothing slows me down on the way up, if I get slowed down, I can normally get back to about 65. With the caravan on the back, I will only be doing about 35 by the top with the MAF Amp off, and 45 with it on. Engine gets noticeably hotter with the MAF Amp on though.
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:32   #4
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Hi and welcome,yes I have a SWB T2 that I take to regular meets on a 4 wheel car trailer and have no power problems at all grossing at just over 4.5 tonnes, (with a Zexel pump) (the Bosch is much better) one of the best upgrades is a Maff amp booster but you will struggle to find one as the member on here is not making them anymore but it really did improve the low down torque, I had one on my dedicated off road motor but remove it and sold it on as I was always breaking front drive shafts, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:07   #5
panelbeater

Vehicle: nissan terrano 2 2.7 tdi

welcome,so you drifted to here,i am sure you will contribute to the site.
my 2.7 terry had no problems towing up hill,a standard one but run on old cooking oil,sadley sold both now and got a 3l one for health reasons again no problem towing.again welcome.
panelbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 23:10   #6
dan_the_drifter

Thanks to everyone for the nice introduction, best i've had and i've been on quite a few car forums

Ok I have not heard about the MAF amp booster, seen a lot of people use a resistor on the fuel temp,fuel rail pressure etc on common rail diesels but not for a pump like ours, was it just a simple resistor set up? Any DIY guides to this? Very interested if so.

Yes I was looking at the turbo elbow on mine and from previous experience with changing exhausts I thought it looked quite restrictive. As long as the flange off the turbo is easy to get hold of I can't see why i couldn't make a better/larger bore version.

Ye we have a large hill down here at the end of the m5 known as holden and if i hit the bottom around 65/70mph I will be down to 30ish by the top towing car/trailer behind and the terrano loaded with 10/12 wheels and tyres etc. If I can gain 10mph as mentioned with some kind of booster/re-map/exhaust improvement so i'm doing closer to 40mph I would probs be in 3rd and that would be great.

Keep the replies coming all experiences are great to hear
Old 03-01-2018, 23:22   #7
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Rayf #### is the guy who built the maf amp, if you send him a PM I am sure he will supply you with a circuit diagram, easy to build if you are electronics minded, but you will need to join to be able to PM him, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 23:55   #8
jims-terrano

I know this sounds a little basic but have you given it a dam good service, all 3 filters. The 2.7 seems to prefer mineral oil if you can get it rather than semi, made a big difference to mine when I tried using it.
Also theres a mini filter in the banjo bolt on the injector pump too, that gets clogged.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:55   #9
kitchenman

Vehicle: maverick 1994 2.7 TD

I agree on the mini filter, there is a workshop available, saved me a mint
kitchenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:57   #10
perelaar

Vehicle: Terrano II 2.7TDi SWB '97

You're just a bit late - sold my maf amp a while ago...
perelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:19   #11
stevew

Vehicle: maverick swb

diy guide here for a adjustable maf amp https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...ys8fgohhLB-BRx
not made one my self as my old girl has a full mechanical pump they havent got the top end of the newer ones but better low down and will let you over fuel when towing
drifting ive been toying with the idea of having a go as i just found out they drift at highedge racway which is only up the road form me.
just got to find a mot fail bmw and ill be away
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 21:56   #12
dan_the_drifter

Ye it didn't come with any history so i've serviced it twice in the last 18 months, both times it had oil,fuel and air filters. Had to do a bit of work to it when I first got it: Fitted a new water pump, the steering rod between both track rod ends and a pair of front arb links plus general wear and tear of tyres,bulbs etc.

I don't think mine is down on power as i've driven couple others that I have worked on and they felt fairly similar just keen to see if I can tweak anything to get the most out of it.

I haven't pulled out the mini filter in the pump I will definitely check mine at some point in the next couple months when I get a minute and let you guys know. Thanks for that tip

I will also have a look into that MAF amp, unfortunately my electronic knowledge is quite limited (which also holds me back at work sometimes but you can't be good at everything eh lol) I can understand the resistor and splicing into the wires etc but I will probably have to rope someone who is more skilled in that area to give me a hand.

Something i do know a lot about is drifting lol, if you want any tips about setting it up if you do get a drift car stevew send me a message. If anyone is interested here is a link to onboard my car just over a year ago, the car has changed a bit since but I quite like this video:

https://youtu.be/Y0bzYk8nSCQ

Old 05-01-2018, 19:49   #13
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

I have a MAF Amp sitting in the garage nice and shiny and new in the box, I'm not sure of another in existence of Ray's batch that isn't fitted to a truck now

Make me an offer, but I was going to fit it to mine in conjunction with my Powerchip, I'll post a picture of my PowerChip in here for you to see and wet your appetitte, but you really ought to join mate, it's the best forum I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of, such a top bunch of gents here from all walks of life, it's more a family.

This is the Chip itself, it adjusts from 1-9, before I did the 3 litre clutch mod on mine anything past 7 and the clutch would slip

This is the wiring, it connects to the Bosch Wiring Harness and a connection on the MAF too

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 22:55   #14
dan_the_drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
I have a MAF Amp sitting in the garage nice and shiny and new in the box, I'm not sure of another in existence of Ray's batch that isn't fitted to a truck now

Make me an offer, but I was going to fit it to mine in conjunction with my Powerchip, I'll post a picture of my PowerChip in here for you to see and wet your appetitte, but you really ought to join mate, it's the best forum I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of, such a top bunch of gents here from all walks of life, it's more a family.

This is the Chip itself, it adjusts from 1-9, before I did the 3 litre clutch mod on mine anything past 7 and the clutch would slip

This is the wiring, it connects to the Bosch Wiring Harness and a connection on the MAF too

Ye I am definitely interested, have no idea how much it's worth, can I pm you or do I need to be a member to do this? Is that photo of the red box the actual maf amp or the powerchip?

Either way how are you able to run both? Is the superchip not adjusting the maf values as well?

I have seen people splice into fuel temp wireing on VAG's etc as I mentioned before so might also see if this is do-able on our terrano's.

A few of my mates are trying to convince me that I should sell the terrano and go for something more powerful, I do have a soft spot for 80series land cruisers and the old gq patrol but not the finances unfortunately ha ha.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:20   #15
makeitfit

Vehicle: Maverick TDi BLACK mmm

Yerp I have 2.5" straight through side exit zorst .
Turbo flange avail on fleabay. Make that turbo elbow collector as big as poss to catch waste gate and go close to bulkhead for best flow.
I've modded my turbo with better comp wheel so I can get more air for more fuel delivered by TunitII power chip box. Then stuff LPG up the intake for some serious power gains. Watch for heat gains though . I have EGT to keep me posted less I cook the old girl ☺
makeitfit is offline   Reply With Quote