Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 12-06-2018, 21:33   #1
jims-terrano
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Default DRL’s

Has anyone got any clear idea of the regulations if there are any for DRL’s. It appears now people don’t see you coming, doesn’t matter what car I drive. Was talking to a neighbour who’s an ex policeman, his opinion is that people are that used to seeing DRL’s that they simply don’t see cars without them. It set me off thinking about them. On eBay you can find dirt cheap kits and kits for about £70 from known brands. I’m very tempted but I’m sure there are some daft regulations covering these things.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 21:49   #2
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

My thoughts on this are negative, if all vehicles had DRL then we will be dazzled big time by the people who seem to need extra powerful lights, I am not in favour, more importantly to my mind is a cap on the ridiculous indicators that many manufacturers are now using, they are nothing like as easy to see as a straight forward on/off flash, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 22:03   #3
jims-terrano

I totally agree about the more and more powerful headlamps, the worst are the after market conversion kits for headlamps.
This said I don’t think DRL’s are in the same league other than the manufacturers that create fancy effects. I think good DRL’s are not much worse than the likes of Volvo and Saab from years gone by. I know that vehicles registered after 2015 have stringent regulations for DRL’s in the new mot regulations but not too sure what.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 22:12   #4
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

The brake/indicator combo lights on some are horrendous, can't see the indicators when the brake light is illuminated!!!
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 22:39   #5
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

Having had several Volvo's I must admit I fell in love with DRLs a long time ago, and have fitted something like it on every car I have ever had. Actually, I love lights... as far as I am concerned, you can't have enough... If I could afford it, I would turn my T2 into one of those Japanese Dekotora trucks.

The laws on DRLs are fairly simple...

On with the Ignition/engine running...

Off, or dimmed once side lights are turned on.

Personally, mine come on only when the engine is running, and dim when I go onto low beam... The reason for me, is when acting as a rear end protector, doing road searches with KSAR, headlights can hinder the eyesight of the searchers, so we run on sidelights, but the DLR's just help give me a bit more light in front of the car, and makes me more visible to the idiots who don't slow down despite all the flashing lights, and people in florescent clothing, but does not dazzle the searchers.

It has been through 2 MOT's like that, and they have never picked up on it.

You do get what you pay for, the cheap ones rarely last the year. The more expensive ones should have a Metal back, with fins to dissipate the heat from the LED's, if it does not, then the LEDs are either not high enough power, or will cook themselves very quickly.

The ones I got are simple, on with ignition, and off with side lights, so I bought an extra box from Hong Kong/China to convert them to dimming.

If you buy the right ones, and have the facelift later T2's, they fit perfectly in the indent in the front bumper, or on the earlier ones, with the round headlights, they recess nicely under the fog light...

Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 23:36   #6
makeitfit

Vehicle: Maverick TDi BLACK mmm

I've fitted DRLs to many of our cars. Always used the bargain bin fleabay options. Not kept any car long enough to know if they're any good
You can also get a nice little gizmo from fleabay that lets them come on with the ignition then go off once you have headlights on. Further more they have a timer on them so when you lock the car up you get a nice light to walk off with
makeitfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 00:01   #7
luke1987

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano 2.7 SE LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranosaurusdoug View Post
The brake/indicator combo lights on some are horrendous, can't see the indicators when the brake light is illuminated!!!
New Audi's are like this the indicator doesn't flash but chases along the top of the rear light, Its horrendous when they brake you can't see it.
luke1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 09:17   #8
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs up DTRL's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
Has anyone got any clear idea of the regulations if there are any for DRL’s. It appears now people don’t see you coming, doesn’t matter what car I drive. Was talking to a neighbour who’s an ex policeman, his opinion is that people are that used to seeing DRL’s that they simply don’t see cars without them. It set me off thinking about them. On eBay you can find dirt cheap kits and kits for about £70 from known brands. I’m very tempted but I’m sure there are some daft regulations covering these things.
There are regulations that cover basics such as they have to either go out when you switch on the main headlights or be capable of dimming when the lights come on. Also regs covering the fitting distances etc. It took me several e-bay purchases to find good quality DTLR lamp units that did not flicker or fail after a few months.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...running-lights

The relay I purchased contained advice about mounting distances etc
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 09:53   #9
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke1987 View Post
New Audi's are like this the indicator doesn't flash but chases along the top of the rear light, Its horrendous when they brake you can't see it.
I quite like those but yeh they are nearly useless, wonder who they bribe to get them legalised
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 19:57   #10
Thomas-the-Terrano2

Vehicle: Terrano2 R20 lwb 2.7TDi

The number of folks who drive at dusk and later on dlr with no tail light. Might be as like our cmax the dash lights up all time so it not being lit isn't the same tell tale a as it used to be.

Prefer to run on dipped heads as at least aren't as blinding as most dlr and back end protected. Many buses run dipped heads long before dlr came out in modern era.

'60' 2010 Ford C Max Zetec 1.6i, black

'56' 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0TD, silver

2021 Bailey Pegasus Grade SE Turin caravan

Smile, its more likely to confuse.

One Life, Don't Just Live It, Drive a Nissan, or ...... a Jeep.

Owner of Nissan 4x4s 2005 to 2019, and maybe in the future too!
Thomas-the-Terrano2 is offline   Reply With Quote