Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 08-02-2019, 14:23   #1
jonny
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano
Default I had a break

Hi chaps,

Not been on here for a while, mainly due to health reasons. I have mental health problems which I deal with sometimes by going off line and focusing on myself until I'm firing on at least 2 of my cylinders again. I think I'm up to 3 now

I decided to sell rusty trusty. I needed time to myself and I wasn't in the right space with my health to sort it. Also the rust was getting worse each time I removed another bit of the interior. It had gone into the rear body mounts, so all that plus other mechanical and electrical issues I took the easy way out and sold him.

Have spent a bit of time wondering what to get to replace him. First thought was a Discovery. I have had quite a few, some good, some beyond bad. As a 4x4 they are great but I decided don't need the hassle of one. Thats L/R out..

Shogun/Pajero. Again had quite a few of these. Good comfy vehicles with a great 4x4 system. I prefer the shogun, they don't have all the bling chrome crap on them. The downside is they are quite thirsty, especially compared to the Terrano.

Trooper. Never had one but always liked the look. Turns out they are thirsty and having looked at a couple they did nothing for me 'in the flesh' so to speak.

So, I guess that as I have renewed my membership here my minds made up on another Terrano. My last one was the best of the 4x4's I have had on fuel. I love the engine and there being no timing belt/chain to mess about with. Loads of space to get the kids back and to to uni. Great towing..the list goes on but you all know that

Patrol I would love, but my pocket cant stretch to it. Same with the Pathfinder, which I think would make a great overland type vehicle.

It's going to be a couple of months until I can afford to get another, hope I'm still welcome while I am terrano-less
jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 15:08   #2
jims-terrano

Good to hear you are feeling better and sometimes you have to do what works for you.
As for membership here, plenty people don’t have a Terrano anymore but stay here for the friendship and banter.

Good luck with your search for a new truck.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 15:56   #3
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny View Post
Hi chaps,

Not been on here for a while, mainly due to health reasons. I have mental health problems which I deal with sometimes by going off line and focusing on myself until I'm firing on at least 2 of my cylinders again. I think I'm up to 3 now

I decided to sell rusty trusty. I needed time to myself and I wasn't in the right space with my health to sort it. Also the rust was getting worse each time I removed another bit of the interior. It had gone into the rear body mounts, so all that plus other mechanical and electrical issues I took the easy way out and sold him.

Have spent a bit of time wondering what to get to replace him. First thought was a Discovery. I have had quite a few, some good, some beyond bad. As a 4x4 they are great but I decided don't need the hassle of one. Thats L/R out..

Shogun/Pajero. Again had quite a few of these. Good comfy vehicles with a great 4x4 system. I prefer the shogun, they don't have all the bling chrome crap on them. The downside is they are quite thirsty, especially compared to the Terrano.

Trooper. Never had one but always liked the look. Turns out they are thirsty and having looked at a couple they did nothing for me 'in the flesh' so to speak.

So, I guess that as I have renewed my membership here my minds made up on another Terrano. My last one was the best of the 4x4's I have had on fuel. I love the engine and there being no timing belt/chain to mess about with. Loads of space to get the kids back and to to uni. Great towing..the list goes on but you all know that

Patrol I would love, but my pocket cant stretch to it. Same with the Pathfinder, which I think would make a great overland type vehicle.

It's going to be a couple of months until I can afford to get another, hope I'm still welcome while I am terrano-less
Been there mate, but I'm steady now PM me if you ever need an ear.

Glad you're getting a Terrano again mate, my brothers will be for sale soon if you fancy a 3.0 SWB

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:45   #4
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs up Welcome back to our Forum mate.

Quote:
Hi chaps,

Good to hear you are on the mend MH issues are often difficult to face up to and the right help/care can be quite difficult to obtain. My Brother is on Serotonin Uptake Inhibitors - has been for over 10 years his final piece of the MH Jigsaw was when he had some CBT - he has been stable & sorted for over 8 years now.

On the 4x4 front just because you are without a 4x4 at present means if you go for another you can make a more informed choice. Buying a used vehicle is always risky but we are here to help.

I too would love a Patrol but within my personal red lines (age/mileage/economy) & budget just not gong to happen - hence our journey into Grand Cherokee ownership.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:15   #5
jonny

Thanks for the nice replies chaps. My health is something I have lived with for a very long time. The mix of drugs I take these days generally keep me ok but there are times when they aren't enough and it's time then to take myself out of things for a while and just go with it. Never fun but it is what it is (I hate that saying but cant think of another right now )

My health's a mix of bi-polar 2 disorder (yep, there is more than 1 type, 3 in total) along with chronic recurrent depression and some chronic pain thrown in for a laugh which is linked to my mood, becoming worse if i am in a more 'down' phase. Not asking or expecting any sympathy, I just listed my problems in case anyone who suffers or has questions or knows somebody that might need help can feel free to talk to me. I have a lot of experience with it and with most of the different drugs and also the health service, what it has to offer and the minefield of government help available.

It's not something I shy away from or keep to myself, there is no shame in it but like the mens cancer thread it seems blokes try to not think about it or admit to it. Hopefully the stigma surrounding it is starting to lift a bit but there are still those who cant understand it or even accept it as a real debilitating health issue.

Anyhow, enough of my rambling on and again, thanks for the kind words
Old 09-02-2019, 14:31   #6
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

Welcome back... err... when you say you are running on 2 cylinders... are you a straight 4, a V8 or maybe even a ****el?
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 19:41   #7
jonny

I'm going for a V4 just be awkward
Old 10-02-2019, 00:20   #8
macabethiel

Thumbs up How about 3 cylinder 6 piston two stoke diesel !

Quote:
I'm going for a V4 just be awkward
Nah a Comma TS3 would be awkward - they were such an awesome design from the great years of British Engineering. Just listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrAoj5Cuu68

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commer_TS3
Old 10-02-2019, 01:10   #9
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
Nah a Comma TS3 would be awkward - they were such an awesome design from the great years of British Engineering. Just listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrAoj5Cuu68

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commer_TS3
Whoops the Ts3 was stolen from the Germans after WW2 and emerged as the Comma TS3, yes a truly awesome engine, I worked on several of them, powerful but noisy they had 3 great big boxes but you could still hear them half a mile away at full power, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 18:05   #10
macabethiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
Whoops the Ts3 was stolen from the Germans after WW2 and emerged as the Comma TS3, yes a truly awesome engine, I worked on several of them, powerful but noisy they had 3 great big boxes but you could still hear them half a mile away at full power, Rick
You have worked on a TS3 - respect Rick!
Old 10-02-2019, 21:53   #11
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

I did a complete overhaul on one and repaired several others, some with the early in line pumps and a couple with rotary, I still have and use punches and cold chisels made from broken super charger drive shafts, they were a regular failure, went the length of the engine with a support bearing near the middle but although made from excellent steel the length defeated them, I always remember the shiny polished crank rocker shafts, the likes that you would expect to see in a racing engine, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote