Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Show us yours

Show us yours Share you favourite photos with us

Old 26-07-2018, 18:46   #31
jonny
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano

It matches the one on the inner wing under the washer bottle..

I really do have quite a bit to do to this car.
jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 18:52   #32
jonny

The seat belt mounts are all ok thank goodness. Like you say, just takes time to sort properly, small holes turn into big holes by the time all the rot is cut out. I shall get all the old underseal off in the near future to check the chassis out underneath before I start in the boot. Now thats a horrible job. I have had Discovery's that have been worse so shouldn't be a problem. Do you think it would be worth removing the trim from around the wheel arches and check it is all ok behind there ? It looks fine from what I can see but would hate something to spread that I have missed. I think I will take the front bumper off and check all is good with the cross member behind that. I like the car so it's worth sorting out.
Old 26-07-2018, 18:55   #33
jims-terrano

It beggars belief how crap Nissans rust protection coating were towards the end of production. Still if they lasted forever they wouldn’t sell new motors would they. Good luck with the repairs but they are all repairable just take your time and cut out all the rot back to clean metal. It’ll look a lot worse before it gets better.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 21:23   #34
jonny

I had a bit more of a poke about today looking for rust. I shouldn't have..

This is the inner wing under the washer bottle

more on the boot floor

this is the passenger side boot

It's like owning a Land Rover...
Old 28-07-2018, 21:31   #35
Blocky10

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 3.0 SVE Auto

Could never be that bad

Blocky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 21:44   #36
jonny

I have had worse .

They would still get good money for it like that.
Old 28-07-2018, 21:46   #37
jims-terrano

They say everything is fixable and to be honest yours probably aren’t terminal. Problem you’ll find is cost if you can’t weld yourself. My son and me have fixed up two Terranos with boot floor issues and inner wing holes.

Good luck, there’s support here for you from the club.

Incidentally Elty fabricated a complete new boot floor.
Old 28-07-2018, 22:03   #38
jonny

Weldings not a problem, I have restored quite a few cars so it's not really a big deal, just a bit of a pain in the bum. I would imagine if you had to pay to have it done it wouldn't be worth it though. The main thing is the motor is nice and strong and the chassis is fine..!! Sills etc all good, front footwells all good so a bit of time spent on it and it will be fine. The thing thats mainly bugging me is the front drivers side tyre is wearing like mad on the inside, will have to take it in to be sorted. MOT is up in October so do I buy a cheap car with mot so I can take this off the road over winter/spring next year and go right through the car. I have a bit of an oil leak that needs sorting and some strange noises from I think, the clutch. So the motor and box would come out as well. It would cost a bit but when done would be good for many years to come. Some thinking to do..
Old 29-07-2018, 06:10   #39
jims-terrano

Yeah understand what you’re saying and yes it helps having Welding facilities doesn’t it. Sounds like once the jobs are done it’ll be a strong truck.

Good luck and I’m sure you’ll get it sorted.
Old 30-07-2018, 19:37   #40
jonny

Cheers Jim. Starting to price up parts. Found a nice 2 inch suspension kit on Jimmy bits. Pro comp shocks, (which I have used before and never had a problem with) and some longer and uprated springs. Its £334 total which I don't thinks too bad. I know I could do it cheaper with a bit of mix and match but like the matching kit, especially as it will be taking some weight when it is finished and kitted out.
Old 30-07-2018, 19:41   #41
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny View Post
Cheers Jim. Starting to price up parts. Found a nice 2 inch suspension kit on Jimmy bits. Pro comp shocks, (which I have used before and never had a problem with) and some longer and uprated springs. Its £334 total which I don't thinks too bad. I know I could do it cheaper with a bit of mix and match but like the matching kit, especially as it will be taking some weight when it is finished and kitted out.
Blimey! A real person who's had the Pro Comp es9000s. You rate them then? Many of the reviews say that they ride hard? Is this true and is this the only problem?
I'm so tempted to get a set for mine, for the lift and for making the truck a bit more stable with the RTT on it. Do you reckon they'd be up to the task?
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 20:02   #42
jonny

I've only had them on L/R before but they worked well. They did seem a bit stiffer than others I have used, Rough Country etc but for what I want them for I'm figuring they might be good. With the weight of a rrt and the kit inside maybe it would be better.? They aren't stiff as in a sports car type thing just a bit more than other aftermarket ones I have tried.

How do you find the car with a RRT..? Does it feel quite stable.? The Terrano looks quite narrow and tall. How have you mounted it on top.?
Old 30-07-2018, 20:14   #43
don simon

Quote:
I've only had them on L/R before but they worked well. They did seem a bit stiffer than others I have used, Rough Country etc but for what I want them for I'm figuring they might be good. With the weight of a rrt and the kit inside maybe it would be better.? They aren't stiff as in a sports car type thing just a bit more than other aftermarket ones I have tried.

How do you find the car with a RRT..? Does it feel quite stable.? The Terrano looks quite narrow and tall. How have you mounted it on top.?
The car's fine with the tent up top, I'm obviously aware that corners need to be taken with precaution and it'll topple over sooner than a naked Terrano on the rough stuff. It isn't designed for serious offroad stuff, just getting where others can't territory.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/960369...7648665980018/ flick right for more photos.
I've just noticed that I have misplaced the photos of the rack going on, I'm sure I had some.
Old 30-07-2018, 20:28   #44
jonny

That sounds good. I don't plan on any 'extreme' of road type use, just want to be able to get to the out of the way places to camp.

Having a good look through your photos, great set up. I may pick your brains at some point if ok . Love the Zombie lights

How far into North Wales are you.? I'm near Chester so not far over the border
Old 30-07-2018, 20:33   #45
don simon

Quote:
That sounds good. I don't plan on any 'extreme' of road type use, just want to be able to get to the out of the way places to camp.

Having a good look through your photos, great set up. I may pick your brains at some point if ok . Love the Zombie lights

How far into North Wales are you.? I'm near Chester so not far over the border
I'm in the centre of Chester so you're welcome to come across and have a closer look any time.