Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 02-03-2009, 00:45   #1
12inchmick

Default MPG?

Hi all, anyone know what fuel return I should be gettig from my 2000 Terrano 11 2.7 turbo D?
Old 02-03-2009, 00:46   #2
lacroupade
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

al depends how fast you drive and on what roads. Some claim as high as 30mpg but if you get 25-28 you're doing OK...
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 00:52   #3
12inchmick

Default Re MPG,

Thanks Paully, my first attempt at working it out from a full tank, driving 200 miles and re-filling returned 20 mpg. driving in town and a little urban at speed limits. must admit I was a little disappointed.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:56   #4
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

just stick to working it out the same way all teh time.

i get 25 to 28 90% of teh time, have manages 30 but that was long trip, took it very very easy too, left my big boots at home that day
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 22:13   #5
lacroupade

Mick thats defo on the low side.....when I say I get 25-ish, thats driving like a looney. I've just got back from Wales and been doing 70+ or so on the A-roads and 80-90 on the motorway (indicated of course)...and that will see me getting 25 mpg as I do the journey every week and measure regularly.

Its worth measuring it over a few tankfuls for several reasons; weather can make a bit of a difference, petrol station pumps don't always give exactly the same amount of fuel and even fuel varies from one place to another, plus pump cutoff varies a bit as well - it all adds up.

If you find you are still getting 20 in mixed driving I'd start looking at the simple stuff first; air filter choked up and in need of change etc.. - and I would throughly recommend a free-flow air filter like the K&N (either a straight replacement for your existing filter at about £30, but never needs replacing - you just wash it in petrol and re-oil it with the special oil they supply, and even that is every 30-50k miles or something...the filter is good for more miles than your truck will ever do. Or £50-odd will buy you the induction kit - basically a conical filter stuck in the breeze with an adaptor pipe to replace your existing airbox (which sucks air in from the inner wing).

On both my trucks thats been good for at least +2mpg and a little bit more oomph.

Ignore anyone who tells you you'll drown the engine if you go in deep water - if you don't do that stuff it doesn't matter, and unless you had a snorkel, your electrics would drown before the filter started sucking water in.

But if the filter is clean and free-flowing you might have to get a bit more diagnostic - thats when I take the bloody thing to the garage cos I can't be bothered these days but theres lots of v.clever folks on here with good technical skills to offer you a few more pointers.

But 25mpg minimum definitely your target, and more if you drive sensibly....

Last edited by lacroupade; 02-03-2009 at 22:14. Reason: ummmm
Old 02-03-2009, 22:22   #6
Deleted Member S

Could also be a dieing MAF unit & a partly blocked mini filter if your has one fitted but seems that only a few of the later T2's had them mine was one
Deleted Member S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 22:26   #7
lacroupade

good point, forgot Mr MAF...Mick does your truck pull OK? Any smoke or unusual signs?
Old 02-03-2009, 22:33   #8
lacroupade

Sweety would the EGR valve cause poor mpg if blocked (assuming he's got one?).
Old 02-03-2009, 23:08   #9
Deleted Member S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroupade View Post
Sweety would the EGR valve cause poor mpg if blocked (assuming he's got one?).
TBH not 100% sure but I think it could as the one on my old mondeo was stuck open & it drank petrol like mad. I don't have one but if my next motor does it'll be getting blocked off anyway as they can cause alsorts of probs
Deleted Member S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 23:09   #10
lacroupade

Better get under that bonnet with your EGR detector then Mr Foot!