Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Testimonials

Testimonials Here you can read what members have to say about the full membership.

Old 23-12-2020, 22:21   #1
Terrano Steve
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano
Default That time of year

Merry Christmas everyone. I replaced the Terrano with a Isuzu Dmax mainly for towing a digger & was wondering how many members on here are running newish Navara's.
Terrano Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 09:51   #2
Flying Torquewrench

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol Y61 2.8TD

Merry Christmas Steve!

Unfortunately I can’t help you with your Navara question. However I would be interested to hear about your Dmax. How do you find it to tow with and what sort of mpg do you get?

I tow my digger with my Patrol and I am considering replacing it with either a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Isuzu Dmax. From some online research it seems that the Jeep is better on fuel consumption but of course with a Dmax it is easier to take any tools along that don’t fit on the trailer.
Flying Torquewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 12:53   #3
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Default Real World Jeep MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Torquewrench View Post
Merry Christmas Steve!

Unfortunately I can’t help you with your Navara question. However I would be interested to hear about your Dmax. How do you find it to tow with and what sort of mpg do you get?

I tow my digger with my Patrol and I am considering replacing it with either a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Isuzu Dmax. From some online research it seems that the Jeep is better on fuel consumption but of course with a Dmax it is easier to take any tools along that don’t fit on the trailer.
Not sure what sort of MPG your online research for Jeeps has thrown up as there are many untruths out there. I do not tow.

As you know we run two Jeep JC's.
The WJ 2.7CRD average is as follows.
2016 over 9.8k miles 25.13 mpg
2017 over 14k miles 24.64 mpg
2018 over 14k miles 24.32 mpg
2019 over 6k miles 23.64 mpg

As you can see our mileage has dropped in 2019 with just local driving.

The WK 3.0 CRD average so far is as follows
2019 over 3.5k local miles 21.89 mpg - it's all very local journey work and I use the performance as it's so fast!
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 14:58   #4
Flying Torquewrench

Thanks Macabethiel. The figures online (2012 3.0 CRD) are slightly different! I get urban at 27+mpg and extra urban around 39mpg. Which according to the internet is similar to the Dmax. As the Dmax is classed as a commercial vehicle the insurance is higher (around £500 more) than the Jeep but the road tax on the Dmax is lower.

I have been thinking about replacing the patrol for a few years, especially when it is MOT time as it is always a bit of a gamble. Hence why the occasional topic pops up on here with me asking for opinions.

As Terrano Steve also tows a digger it would be very useful to hear his actual fuel figures for the Dmax.
Old 24-12-2020, 19:22   #5
Terrano Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Torquewrench View Post
Thanks Macabethiel. The figures online (2012 3.0 CRD) are slightly different! I get urban at 27+mpg and extra urban around 39mpg. Which according to the internet is similar to the Dmax. As the Dmax is classed as a commercial vehicle the insurance is higher (around £500 more) than the Jeep but the road tax on the Dmax is lower.

I have been thinking about replacing the patrol for a few years, especially when it is MOT time as it is always a bit of a gamble. Hence why the occasional topic pops up on here with me asking for opinions.

As Terrano Steve also tows a digger it would be very useful to hear his actual fuel figures for the Dmax.
Ok so 2.7 Terrano commercial was returning around 27 mpg & handled the trailer really well. This was replaced with a 2.5 Isuzu D Max, fuel consumption dropped slightly to around 25mpg fitted with standard size bfg tyres. The gearing on the 2.5 Dmax is a little high for towing & hard on the clutch, I have replaced the 2.5 with a new 1.9, Isuzu have addressed the gearing issues, fuel consumption seems ok but bit early to give you actual figures.
Old 24-12-2020, 20:16   #6
Terrano Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
Not sure what sort of MPG your online research for Jeeps has thrown up as there are many untruths out there. I do not tow.

As you know we run two Jeep JC's.
The WJ 2.7CRD average is as follows.
2016 over 9.8k miles 25.13 mpg
2017 over 14k miles 24.64 mpg
2018 over 14k miles 24.32 mpg
2019 over 6k miles 23.64 mpg

As you can see our mileage has dropped in 2019 with just local driving.

The WK 3.0 CRD average so far is as follows
2019 over 3.5k local miles 21.89 mpg - it's all very local journey work and I use the performance as it's so fast!
I remember that you & Clive were both running Jeeps & were both pleased with them, I have never dismissed the idea of a Jeep but don't really think it is suitable for my type of work.
Old 24-12-2020, 21:13   #7
Flying Torquewrench

Thank you Terrano Steve!

Just to confirm, the 25mpg on the 2.5 Dmax was whilst towing? As that is not a bad fuel economie at all with a trailer.

I did read that the manual gearing on the Dmax wasn’t ideal but that the automatic didn’t suffer from it.

Merry Christmas.
Old 24-12-2020, 22:44   #8
Terrano Steve

25mpg mainly towing but not always up to 3.5 tonne. Friend of mine has the auto & has nothing but praise for it. What machine are you towing? surprising how weight of attachments all add up.