Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 16-10-2007, 11:53   #1
tony2002

Default newbie here just saying HI

Hi everyone,
I'm the proud owner of a 2001 Terrano II 2.4L sport, SWB in blue.
Its in good condition but does need the bonnet respraying as the laquer has come off (I will get round to it someday)
Not yet done any serious off road in it as I'm unsure of its capabilities and it has not got off road tryes fitted. I want to keep it and make it a real off road machine but am finding it ridiculously hard to find any accessories esp at reasonable prices ie a bars, sump guards, side steps, winch bumper etc etc.
I compete in a Land Rover Defender Rally and would like to give my terrano the same kind abuse as a defender takes. So if anyone can help by giving me some stories, info or prices and places then that would be awesome.
Many thank, Tony
Old 16-10-2007, 12:10   #2
Terranosaurus
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 2001 2.7 TDi T2 SWB

Hi Tony welcome on board.

The Terranos/Mavs come with a factory fitted bash guard at the front, its not really v=necessary to guard the rest of the truck as everythings well tucked up out of the way.

For A bars, side steps etc try e-bay there seems to be a steady flow of them going through there.

Winch bumpers are available but it would be a matter of getting them imported, those that have looked into it have found them horrendously expensive, I'm going to try and get one made.

For suspension try Explorer pro comp, we get a really good deal as members look in the downloads section on the hoe page. Also you'll probably find the front suspension has sagged over time, they all do, this can be adjusted up on the torsion bars quite easily. The sills should be roughly level if its right.

Mines got a 60mm body lift which was pretty easy to do considering, again theres a download but its translated from russian or polish or something so is a bit difficult to follow.

Accepted wisdom is 31/9.5/15s re about as big as you can get away with tyres wise on a standard truck.

TBH theres not a lot available to mod them but they are very capable in stadard form.
Terranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 12:14   #3
tony2002

Thanks will have a look at the suspension you mentioned, is there anything you can do with the aweful grinding noise you get at full lock??
Old 16-10-2007, 12:37   #4
Boggert

Yep, remove all the loose plastic trim from inside the wheel arch, mine was doing the same thing and I found the Plastic/Rubber skirts were falling apart so I took the damaged sections out.

If it still doing it after that could be you need to take to the car vet and have the its bits and bobs looked at.

Ye thats as about a technical I get! LOL :
Boggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 12:44   #5
tony2002

Mine is def a metal on metal grinding noise, had a look under the dark side and seen a large metal stop which prevents over steering, looks like I'm stuck with it
Old 16-10-2007, 12:50   #6
Terranosaurus

Vehicle: 2001 2.7 TDi T2 SWB

That will be the lock stops, its not doing any harm, they either need replacing or greasing. TBH I don't worry about mine I just try not to hold it hard against the stops on full lock. Its not good for the power steering to do that anyway. I think theres a workshop download on replacing them but not sure.
Terranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 12:51   #7
mav

Hello Tony2002 and welcome to the club, Take a look at the link below as i think this is what you may mean.

http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.co.uk/workshop/wk1.pdf
mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 12:52   #8
tony2002

yeah gonna gunk em with gease, think thats the best plan. Just don't like people looking at the car funny when turning full circle
Old 16-10-2007, 12:54   #9
tony2002

yup looked at the link and thats the beauties, will get on it. Ta
Old 16-10-2007, 12:58   #10
Deleted Member S

Hi Tony & wellcome to the club :smile: As for the grinding i'm 99.9% sure it'll be your lock stops covers have worn out :roll: Theres 2 each side (1 front, 1back)they cost £2.50-3 each Easy to do, just keep them greased up once you've fitted new ones :smile:
Deleted Member S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 13:13   #11

Welcome to the club. Unfortunatley there are not a lot of off the shelf bits for Nissan 4x4s.

Whinch bumpers snorkels and parts are out there, its a case of searching, you can get some bits from www.4x4at.com with a little club discount.

You may find that most parts available are from Australia, nearer to Japan and are designed to fit the Mistral (Auto version and Jap import over here)

I have done quite a bit of laning in Norfolk and there are some good lanes there. I'm running trips in Derbyshire at mo if your interested, defender or TII.
Old 16-10-2007, 13:25   #12
rag1873

Any idea where i can purchase new lock stops from? Had a look on the net but was coming up with all sorts of things apart from the parts i wanted!!!

-offtopic-
rag1873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 13:26   #13
theduck

Hi tony, welcome to the best by far 4x4 club, well my friend it's your lucky day (or it could be), you say you are looking for some side steps :?: well my old T2 is sitting on the drive with a pair just looking for a new home, I haven't got arounnd to putting them on ebay yet but I am going to. They are on a LWB T2 at the moment but I am sure you would be able to cut them to the required size if you want them and just to make them that bit special I installed white LEDs on the front and red on the rear of the end caps of the steps ( the LEDs are like the ones you see at night on the Lorry trailers at the top marker lights ) they look real cool at night. Send me you e-mail address and I will send you some pics if your'e interested :smile: .

Dave the Duck

Quack Quack

ps I also have a wheel cover that can be painted to match the colour of your car, also wheel centre cars from a SE Touring 1998
theduck is offline   Reply With Quote