Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 12-11-2007, 14:24   #1
joemcflyukperu

Default Hello and help help help please

Hello everyone, just joined the club. My name is Joe McGinniss. Presently working in Peru with my new Peruvian wife. We are involved in running a soup kitchen for poorer children in the high Andes in Peru ( Huaraz altitude 3000metres ). To assist us in reaching the areas in the high mountains we bought a second hand Terrano R3m-V 1999 model. When we purchased in the coastal area of Peru ( Trujillo ), the machine seemed fine. But now we are at high altitude the motor does not have any power, very slow and laborious, with very hot engine ( coolant boils occasionaly when climbing in low gear). The mechanics here tell us that the motor has a fault but do not know what. The car is an import from Japan. For the last 2 weeks I have not been using the car and now the battery is flat and requires recharge. Help, help, help please.
Old 12-11-2007, 14:42   #2
jace

check out your water pump make sure that firstly the drive/fan belt is turning it if it os turning it may be u/s still not moving enough water next smaller thing would be thermostat maybe its stuck closed trapping water causing it to boil,the radiator is holding water not leaking and in servicable condition? r3ms very nice looking trucks and very good at job engine a 2.7td? it shouldnt be problem getting spares as that engine was put in loads different models!
Old 12-11-2007, 15:48   #3

Altitude affects vehicles same as people. advice will be along shortly from one of the more technically minded lads I'm sure.
Old 12-11-2007, 15:57   #4
jace

thinner air but id have said bein 19999 itd have electronics to compensate/detect conditions or dont they have any of our models fancy engine electronics? whats the time difference to peru?
Old 12-11-2007, 17:14   #5
robobone
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 1997 maverick gls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jace
thinner air but id have said bein 19999 itd have electronics to compensate/detect conditions or dont they have any of our models fancy engine electronics? whats the time difference to peru?
5 hours behind us but i dont see what that has to do with engine trouble :
robobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 18:21   #6
jace

was thinkin wether poor fella be trying to get bitve kip whilst were all wofflin,miss out on action but 5hrs behind aint so bad iwas imaging it to be something daft like 3am
Old 12-11-2007, 18:56   #7
Deleted Member S

I know the higher you get the lower the oxegen levels are :roll: So may be fitting a more free flow air filter like a K&N or Uni filter may help to bring the power back up if this is part of the problem :roll:
Deleted Member S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 19:01   #8
t-jay

Vehicle: ford maverick

hi joemcflyukperu, just done a bit of surfing on tinternet and found some info that might be of use to you

http://www.oramagazine.com/pastIssue...rticle=finesse

hope this helps :smile:
t-jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 19:41   #9
Terranosaurus

Vehicle: 2001 2.7 TDi T2 SWB

The rad boiling may well be down to the altitude, as the thinner air will be less efficient at cooling your rad. Upping the percentage of coolant to water in the rad should help. High up and especially if you're rad cap is getting old you'll find that you're rad will boil at a lower temperature, would be worth fitting a new cap. Also of course have a good look at the rad, mine copes well most of the time but is a bit marginal due to corrosion on climbs - I've a replacement in the garage ready to fit.

Diesel engines run lean almost all the time so you don't have to worry about mixture, though you may be over fueling at full throttle so experiment with using a little less and see if that helps. TBH the electronics should sort that out.

If your engine one of the TD or TDi units? If TD try the mini filter (see downloads) as fuel can be a bit patchy in some of these far flung places, if TDi try cleaning the MAF, these are the most common problems on these engines. If the MAF is dirty it won't run right anywhere.
Terranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 20:15   #10
joemcflyukperu

Default Thanks guys

Thanks guys Joe here again. I am going to try running the car with the maff disconnected. Will let you know how it operates. Many thanks for your replies, I think I am going to need a LOT of help from you guys.
Old 13-11-2007, 00:31   #11
joemcflyukperu

Default maff

Thanks again guys for your help. I ran the car with the maff disconnecte after having checked the voltage values as in the download instructions. The car did not lose any power, if anything it ran smoother and with a little more power. I have removed the maff and it does not seem to have a makers mark. It is all black plastic and looks to be quite dirty with lots of black dust. Will attempt to clean with contact cleaner. What do you think guys?
Old 13-11-2007, 00:36   #12
jace

think the next newest we have on here is a 96 model maybe his has part numbers on ? if its a tdi!