Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 14-11-2007, 12:21   #1
pond

Default Light travels at 186,000 miles per second, you know

Or is that miles per hour? Oh well...... :?

Hello,

I thought I'd type something random on the header instead of 'hello newbie here' etc, etc.........

Just paid me £10 so it's payback time! ops:

How many people here have Pathfinders, or D40 Navaras? I am looking to buy a Pathfinder and want to 'spam' it up a bit with a performance chip, wheels, etc.

This isn't because I'm a chav, but it will be used (as well as for work) as an advertising tool for my business, smart but subtle, hopefully!

Thanks for now,

Pond
Old 14-11-2007, 12:45   #2
Boggert
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Hello Pond..

In metric units, the speed of light is exactly 299,792,458 metres per second (1,079,252,848.8 km/h).[2] The fundamental SI unit of length, the metre, has been defined since October 21, 1983, as the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second; any increase in the precision of the measurement of the speed of light would refine the definition of the metre, but not alter the numerical value of c. The approximate value of 3×108 m/s is commonly used in rough estimates. In imperial units, the speed of light is about 670,616,629.2 miles per hour or 983,571,056 feet per second, which is about 186,282.397 miles per second, or roughly one foot per nanosecond.

The speed of light when it passes through a transparent or translucent material medium, like glass or air, is slower than its speed in a vacuum. The ratio of c to the observed phase velocity is called the refractive index of the medium. General relativity explains how a gravitational potential can affect the apparent speed of distant light in a vacuum, but locally light in a vacuum always passes an observer at a rate of c.

Crikey... I'm such a geek!

Welcome to the club... Nissan and ford Maverick club that is not a geek club!
Boggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 12:58   #3
Deleted Member S

Hi Pond & wellcome to the club :smile: There are a few members with D22/40 Navara's & pathfinders on here & it's increasing :smile:
What look are you thinking of going for street or off road :?:

Boggert you've just popped the last 2 brain cell I had left with that lot -rotfl- -rotfl- -rotfl-
Deleted Member S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 13:21   #4
BongoBerry

Vehicle: Patrol 4.8l & Terrano 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggert
Hello Pond..

In metric units, the speed of light is exactly 299,792,458 metres per second (1,079,252,848.8 km/h).[2] The fundamental SI unit of length, the metre, has been defined since October 21, 1983, as the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second; any increase in the precision of the measurement of the speed of light would refine the definition of the metre, but not alter the numerical value of c. The approximate value of 3×108 m/s is commonly used in rough estimates. In imperial units, the speed of light is about 670,616,629.2 miles per hour or 983,571,056 feet per second, which is about 186,282.397 miles per second, or roughly one foot per nanosecond.

The speed of light when it passes through a transparent or translucent material medium, like glass or air, is slower than its speed in a vacuum. The ratio of c to the observed phase velocity is called the refractive index of the medium. General relativity explains how a gravitational potential can affect the apparent speed of distant light in a vacuum, but locally light in a vacuum always passes an observer at a rate of c.

At least quote Wikipedia for such a cut and paste

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light
BongoBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 13:25   #5
mav

Nice one Boggert,

Where do you think Wikipedia got it from in the first place?.

May be wikipedia have to thank Boggert for there cut and paste!

Mav.

Welcome Pond.
mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 13:33   #6
CHASTER

Vehicle: Terrano2 2.7 TDi LWB 2002

Hello pond.
Reminds me of why the RAF never bought Concords---they went faster than the speed of a bullet leaving a gun---if the pilot pressed the trigger he'd have shot himself down ops: 8O
Hope you get your ideal waggon :smile:
CHASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 13:44   #7
robobone

Vehicle: 1997 maverick gls

Quote:
Hello Pond..

clever clogs :

hi pond

welcome to the mad house looks as if you will fit in just right
robobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 14:08   #8
jace

if your gonna use it or buisness d40 navara will be commercial for tax and vat purposes so seems best choice as for performance you can fit 22" low profile tyres and go no where nr so much as pothole and for engine both same engine so loadsa performance chips out there
Old 14-11-2007, 17:03   #9
(RIP) PLANK

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

I think we are just a bit geeky :

but friendly with it most of the time!

All the best!
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 19:31   #10
theduck

Hi pond welcome to the club.

SMARTIE Pants boggert :smile:
theduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 19:52   #11
wolf

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano II '98

hi pond, welcome to the club i use my T2 for advertising my business also!

Mods: Front Spots on Bull Bar, Sat Nav, All Purpose scanner with low profile aieral.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 20:24   #12
jagdpanther

Hello Pond , no, we are not all geeks, just the odd one or two home for a week. :P
Old 14-11-2007, 22:52   #13
pond

Thanks for replies!

Boggert, I knew all that. just rounded it down for the 'man in the street'! :smile:

I was always confused how light could move faster in a domestic appliance (vacuum) than out in the open! oh well, spose some things are best left to others to ponder......................

Navara is out for me, too many expensive and large tools (ooh eer!) to go in a pick up! Plus, I need the length!

Pathfinder t-spec or aventura for me, cos I want cruise and sat/nav and all the creature comforts. Road only, no mud-plugging for pondy! ops:

Andy (Pond)
Old 14-11-2007, 23:39   #14
Boggert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug32
Quote:
Hello Pond..

At least quote Wikipedia for such a cut and paste

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light
You have to admit that Wikipedia ia a cracking site and you quiet right thats where I got it...
what about this...

UFO Basic Propulsion system

The propulsion system, a reactor fuelled by a stale, unearthly element. The propulsion systems use gravity waves and the energy needed is supplied by an irradiating Element 115.

The propulsion system is an antimatter reactor. The reactor is a sphere, about the size of a medicine ball. The top half of it was visible in the middle of the floor. Fuel for the reactor is element 115, ununpentium. On a periodic table, ununpentium would be listed as UUP. It has 156 neutrons, and it is a super heavy metal. When it is bombarded with protons, it becomes element 116, an element that has very unusual properties. That is, when it comes into contact with any element, there is almost a 100% conversion of matter into energy. A kilo of the element releases the same amount of energy as 47 10-megaton bombs. As a result, each craft only needed 223 grams. The reactor generates "Gravity A" waves that distort the space/time continuum allowing the craft to travel vast distances in a relatively short time, as the fuel transmutes and decays, anti-matter is released resulting in near 100% conversion of energy.

The gravity amplifiers themselves are three hollow tubes about two feet in diameter and four feet long. They are arranged in a triangular configuration at the bottom of the disc. The reactor itself is centred between the three amplifiers because the wave is also present at the bottom. The reactor acts as a transmitter, similar to a Tesla Coil, in that each amplifier is independently turned to function as an amplifying receiver. Gravity waves have amplitude, wavelength and frequency, just like any other wave. As the amplitude is increased, gravitational waves bend space around the disc.

This mode of travel is one of the two methods of propulsion used by the disc. In this mode, the disc's gravity amplifiers are in the "delta configuration" and are pulsed sequentially in a rotational pattern. This amplified Gravity A wave is so powerful that the only natural occurring source of gravity that could cause space/time to distort this much would be a black hole!

The other mode of travel is the "omicron configuration" and is used for short range travel near a source of gravity such as a planet or star. When a disc travels near another source of gravity, like Earth, the Gravity A wave, which propagates outward from the disc, is phase shifted into the Gravity B wave, which propagates outward from the Earth, and this creates lift. The gravity amplifiers of the disc can be focused independently and they are pulsed and do not stay on continuously.

We know that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, so in our universe we've always assumed that the fastest way from Point A to Point B was to travel in a straight line between the two points at the speed of light. Well, the fact is that when you are dealing with space/time and you enjoy the capability of generating an intense gravitational field, the fastest way from Point A to Point B is to distort, or warp, or bend the space/time between Points A and B, bringing Points A and B closer together. The more intense the gravitational field, the greater the distortion of space/time and the shorter the distance between Points A and B.

Most of us think of space/time as the void or as nothing and remember, it wasn't that long ago that man considered the air in our atmosphere to be nothing. Yet with time, we've become aware of the components and properties of the air in our atmosphere. Well, indeed, space/time is an entity and one of it's properties is that it can be distorted or bent by a gravitational field. We know that gravity bends or distorts space/time and light by virtue of the fact that we're able to see stars which we know should be blocked from our view by the sun. We've used radio and optical telescopes to map stars and other celestial bodies during the course of our yearly orbit around the sun, so we know where these celestial bodies should be. When the sun is between us and a star, many times we can still see the star as though it were in a different position.

We know that gravity distorts time by virtue of the fact that if we take two devices which measure minute variations in time, and we keep one at sea level and take the other to a high altitude, when we recompare them, they reflect different times. The difference in this passage of time is caused by the fact that a gravitational field weakens the further you get from the source, and of course in this instance, the source of the gravitational field is the earth. So the one device which was taken to the high altitude was exposed to a less powerful gravitational field than the device which we kept at sea level. One device used to make measurements like this is an atomic clock and the most recent atomic clock is supposed not to vary more than 1 second in every 1 million years, that's how precise it is. So the effect of a gravitational field on space/time is something that we've been able to observe but not experiment with. This is due to our inability to generate a gravitational field.

And, up until this point in time, great mass such as a star, planet, or moon was the only source of a discernable gravitational field that we were aware of. So, just as the gravitational field around great mass, such as a planet, distorts space and time, any gravitational field, whether naturally occurring or generated, distorts space and time in a similar manner. This is accomplished by generating an intense gravitational field and using that field to distort space/time, bringing the destination to the source, and allowing you to cross many light years of space in little time and without travelling in a linear mode near the speed of light. Now the great benefit of generating an intense gravitational field is not only can you turn it on, but you can turn it off. We can distort the space/time and in turn the distance between the point where we are and the point where we want to be. We can then position ourselves at the point where we want to be, and then stop generating the gravitational field ... allowing space/time to return to it's natural form. In this manner, we can travel great distances with little linear movement and this is how space/time distortion translates into reduced distance.

Up until this point in time, I've used the term "generate" to describe the capability of producing a gravitational field, but since I'm not aware of any way of creating a gravitational field from nothing, a more accurate term might be to "access and amplify" a gravitational field. And this is what I mean when I use the term "generate". To understand how gravity is generated or "accessed and amplified", you must first know what gravity is.

There are currently two main theories about gravity. The "wave" theory which states that gravity is a wave and the other is a theory which includes "gravitons", which are alleged sub-atomic particles which perform as gravity, which by the way, is total nonsense. The fact that gravity is a wave has caused mainstream scientists to surmise numerous sub-atomic particles which don't actually exist and this has caused great complexity and confusion in the study of particle physics. Anyway, gravity is a wave and there are two different types of gravity. Gravity A and gravity B. Gravity A works on a small or "micro" scale and gravity B works on a larger or "macro" scale. We're familiar with gravity B, it is the big gravity wave that holds the earth, as well as the rest of the planets in orbit around the sun and holds the moon, as well as man-made satellites, in orbit around the earth. We're not familiar with gravity A. It is the small gravity wave which is the major contributory force that holds together the "mass" that makes up all protons and neutrons.

You must have at least an atom of substance for it to be considered "matter". At least a proton and an electron and in most cases a neutron. Anything short of an atom such as upquarks and downquarks which make up protons and neutrons; or protons, neutrons, or electrons, individually are considered to be mass and do not constitue "matter" until they form an atom. So that's why I said that gravity A holds together the "mass" or the "stuff" that makes up protons and neutrons. Once an atom is formed, the electromagnetic force is also a substantial factor.

Gravity A is what is currently being labelled as the "strong nuclear force" in mainstream physics and gravity A is the wave that you need to "access and amplify" to enable you to cause the space/time distortion required for "practical" interstellar travel. To keep them straight ... just remember that gravity A works on the "A"tomic or actually sub-"A"tomic scale and gravity B is the "B"ig gravity wave that works on a stellar or planetary level. However, don't mistake the size of these waves for their strengths, because gravity A is a much stronger force than gravity B. You can momentarily break the gravity B field of the earth by simply jumping in the air. So this is not an intense gravitational field.

Locating gravity A is no problem because it is found in the nucleus of every atom of all matter here on earth and all matter anywhere else in our universe. However, accessing gravity A with the naturally occurring elements found on earth is a big problem. And, in fact, I'm not aware of any way of accessing the gravity A wave using any earth elements, whether naturally occurring or synthesized and here's why ... We've already learned that gravity A is the major force that holds together the mass that makes up protons and neutrons and other sub-atomic particles. This means that gravity A that we are trying to access is virtually inaccessible because it is located within matter, or at least within the matter we have here on earth.

However, the earth is not representative of all matter within our universe. The residual matter which remains after the creation of a solar system is totally dependant on the contributing factors which were present during the creation of the solar system. This is true whether you believe that the origin of the universe was an evolutionary event or that a supreme being caused this event to happen. The two main factors which determine what residual matter remains after the creation of a solar system are the amount of electromagnetic energy and the amount of mass present during the solar system's creation. Our solar system has one star, which is our Sun. But the majority of solar systems in our Milky Way galaxy are binary and multiple star systems which have more than one sun.

In fact, many single star solar systems have stars that are so large that our Sun would appear to be a dwarf by comparison. Keeping all this is mind, it should be obvious that a large, single star system, binary star system, or multiple star system would have had more of the prerequisite mass and electromagnetic energy present during their creations. Scientists have long theorized that there are potential combinations of protons and neutrons which should provide stable elements with atomic numbers being higher than any which appear on our periodic chart, though none of these heavy elements occur naturally on earth. Some elements heavier than uranium do occur on earth in trace amounts, but for the most part, we synthesize these heavier elements in laboratories. Generally speaking, the stability of these synthesized, heavy elements decreases as their atomic number increases. However, experiments at the lab for heavy ion research in Germany have shown that this may only be true up to a certain point as the half life for element 109 is longer than that of element 108. This indicates that they may be at the advent of an island of stability on the periodic chart. The point is that our observations and theories are accurate and the fact is that heavier, stable elements with higher atomic numbers which have more protons, neutrons and electrons than any earth elements do exist.

The most important attribute of these heavier, stable elements is that the gravity A wave is so abundant that it actually extends past the perimeter of the atom. These heavier, stable elements literally have their own gravity A field around them, in addition to the gravity B field that is native to all matter. No naturally occurring atoms on earth have enough protons and neutrons for the cumulative gravity A wave to extend past the perimeter of the atom so you can access it. Now even though the distance that the gravity A wave extends past the perimeter of the atom is infinitesimal, it is accessible and it has amplitude, wave length and frequency, just like any other wave in the electromagnetic spectrum. Once you can access the gravity A wave, you can amplify it just like we amplify other electromagnetic waves.

Now thats a geek... LOL :
Boggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 23:48   #15
jace

did someone called muzz put it on there lol that kindve stuff was his forte!