Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 02-12-2007, 22:21   #1
MistralMac

Default Hello from London

Hello All,

I've just bought a 12 year old Nissan Mistral - hoping that it will do me and the family OK for a few years. I have 2 youngish ones (kids) and another on the way.

So far so good - the drive feels really good. Diesel automatic - which has reportedly done 80,000 miles and only 2 previous owners - I saw the HPI check.

The interior is in fantastic shape and feels barely used. Everything is working OK although the electric windows were a bit slow so I have greased the window runners with 3 in 1 oil as suggested by somebody on this forum. This has improved things although I think I'll buy some silicone based spray as most people seem to recommend that.

I've noticed a couple of glitches with the car. First one being a slightly temperamental drivers electric window switch. Down always works but up only about 50% (I'm not mechanicaly minded but I am going to book myself on a beginners course and try and get my hands dirty with this car.) Any suggestions on how to approach this problem gratefully received

I'll keep the other problem for another time as it hasn't popped its head up for a few days - perhaps it has resolved itself? I can live in hope.

Anyway - nice to meet you all as it were and look forward to conversing with you in the future.

Best Regards,
MistralMac. London NW10
Old 02-12-2007, 22:38   #2
Deleted Member S
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Hi MistralMac & wellcome to the club :smile: Your Mistral will make a good bus to carry the kids about & anything else for that matter :smile:
Deleted Member S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 22:42   #3
mav

Hello and welcome.

I dont think you will have much problem with the Mistral.

Fantastic motors along with its sisters the Terrano and the Maverick.

Most parts the same and built like tanks.

Im sure you will have fun.

Regards,

Mav.
mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 23:09   #4
iandouglas

Vehicle: LANDROVER Disco 300TDI

hi MistralMac.
welcome to the club.
window not going up/down I have same problem but wont go down .
have striped door panel off and found the following .There is a change over switch on end of motor this sticks I found if i hold switch up/down and at same time give the door a bang just below window its enough to jolt switch and then it works ok.
YOU MUST HOLD SWITCH AT THE SAME TIME .
rgds.iandouglas
iandouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 00:27   #5
(RIP) PLANK

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

Hello!
the 3in1 oil tip is probably me, i have tried everything including silicon spray and use 3 in one on all vehicles now as nothing sems any better.

However, iandouglas is right there is something more than simply oiling the runners, funny but the manual windows have the same issue somtimes!

anyway, before i start to sound like a complete anorak welcome to the club!

and yes your right my spelling is terrible! :wink: :
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:24   #6
MistralMac

Default Thanks

Thanks for all your welcome replies ... special thanks to Mav for helping me 'offline' too.

I was driving the car last night and gave a sharp tap on the perspex on the dash and my clock light works now!

Another top tip from the Owners Club... Thanks all.

Oh and thanks PLANK and iandouglas for your tips above. Ian - I'll definetely try your window tip.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:38   #7
MistralMac

Default Window Switch

Ian - Your window switch suggestion works wonders.
Window works every time now with a well directed tap with the switch depressed.

Thanks for that. At least now I don't have to drive along while freezing my knacks off.

Cheers, MM
Old 04-12-2007, 21:15   #8
iandouglas

Default window switch

i M,M.
GLAD IT WORKS ,when you get realy good you can hold switch down and give door trim a crack with your knee. :P
rgds.iandouglas
Old 04-12-2007, 23:25   #9
Toolbox

Vehicle: Oh yes

Hello MistralMac

Welcome to the club, I had the same problem on the 1993 Terrano I had, ended up holding the switch down and having to slam the door, after a few months of will it or wont it work I took the motor to bits and gave it a good clean, after which it was ok for about 6 months.
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 00:12   #10
wildbri

Vehicle: terrano 1997 tdi

wellcome mistralmac, glad to see you have an auto, my son lives in NW6 and my manual terrano dosent like all that slow traffic, it much prefers the hills! or is it me?. regards bri..... :
wildbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 15:47   #11
MistralMac

Hello again,

Cheers iandouglas, I'll see if I can do that - although I've managed to perfect the art of just tapping the door with my elbow. its surprising how little prompting it needs to get the window to wind up...!

I would have struggled with this problem for ages or paid to have it looked at by the garage so I am eternally grateful to you. I hope I can return the favour someday.

Thanks for the welcome Toolbox - what happened after the 6 months? Did you give up on it?

Hi Wildbri - I know us townies come in for a bit of criticism for driving 4x4's but considering the family requirements - I just couldn't resist - and so far (touch wood) I think I've picked myself up a fantastic car - I just can't get enough of it - the drive position is awesome - great for looking over other traffic (happens quite often in London). I don't drive to work so the car is purely for leisure for me - The wife works down the road and drives in (she’s giving birth next month). I'm very pleasantly surprised by the economy. I cannot see any extra expense so far compared to my 2litre diesel Xantia I owned previously. I have shoved the Mistral into economy drive as like somebody else was saying - I like the leisurely drive and for the engine only to shift down when absolutely necessary.

The salesman (could have been sales flannel - I don't know) was saying that the emissions from a 4x4 aren’t necessarily worse than other powerful non 4x4 cars.

Anyway - better go and do some work I suppose.
Old 05-12-2007, 18:45   #12
iandouglas

hi MistralMac.
thats the thing with this club,
learn something about your truck PASS IT ON.
BET YOU GLAD YOU JOINED NOW. :wink:
ALL FOR £10 . :P
rgds,iandouglas
Old 06-12-2007, 13:37   #13
MistralMac

Yes I am... And of course I will adhere to the club philosophy and
pass on any useful information should I come across it.

I will add a testimonial soon...

Excellent value for £10, theres no doubt about it.

Regs,
MM