Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 24-01-2017, 22:19   #46
Bigbunny2007
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: T2 swb 2.7 tdi - Disco 3

Grrrr! Cancer is such a stubborn bitch!! I hope the chemo kicks its arse!!
Keep up your fighting spirit you will beat it, as said by the others its good to hear from you and we all love reading any of your posts
I'd like to see a few pictures of your Mav when you bought it and a now picture if you get chance or if you choose
Bigbunny2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 22:41   #47
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

Thanks for the support guys, yes, if you looked at the mav pics 21 1/2 years ago, and now... it still looks the same lol.
Unfortunately I don't lol...

I will post some again ... in a few days.

Uncle Rustic
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 23:10   #48
Blocky10

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 3.0 SVE Auto

Yes, all the best for the best results possible Uncle Rustic
Blocky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 21:32   #49
rustic

Today after speaking to my oncology nurse this morning, I have changed the frequency of the pain killers, I am expected to maintain a constant pain killer regime to ensure the pain doesn't break through.

I have never been a tablet popping person, and only take pills for chronic pain as one quick dose, then wonder why it has done nothing.

So today I am taking regular pain killers, and it is really helping.
I managed to get to the boat, walked slowly to the boat, hopped on board and checked her out, my wife and grandson came too, fan heater on, stayed maybe an hour, our grandson played with some transformer trucks that we bought for him to play on the boat.
Fantastic, one of my better days, this best this year. It's what I woke up for today lol

Tonight I managed the stairs better too, but this is how it can be, I have gone weeks without painkillers, then suddenly wham... flat on my back, so I will continue with the pain killers, 2 weeks to go to Chemo... 9th Feb.

Uncle Rustic
Old 26-01-2017, 21:48   #50
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

Quote:
Fantastic, one of my better days, this best this year. It's what I woke up for today lol
Good.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 23:43   #51
johnb5177

Vehicle: 02Terrano II 3.0 SVE Auto

Good stuff
johnb5177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 23:53   #52
Thomas61

Vehicle: Terrano but now Honda CRV

Good stuff, pleased to hear.
Thomas61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 19:47   #53
rustic

Yesterday I had a CT scan, this will form a reference to see how effective the chemo is, as I start the 30 week treatment.
Chemo on Thursday, so today my wife and I went out for the most enormous mixed grill.

After the Chemo there are too many things that carry a high risk of infection, under cooked meats, runny eggs, shell fish of any type, mayonnaise, unless fresh... Salad that is not well washed, some soft cheeses, no takeaways like chinese, as these are often preprepared and microwaved, plus lots of others.
If I get an infection with my low white blood cell count, following chemo, then it could be game over unless I can get to hospital quickly. I have to monitor my temperature regularly, if 1degree up... straight to hospital. So my hospital bag is packed, meds, pyjamas, external catheters and leg bags, iPad charger lol...etc ...
With a low red cell count, I may loose the ability for my blood to clot, so any bleeding gums or any other bleeding could be an issue, with a quick blood transfusion.

I have a mobility scooter, lent to me by a neighbour, it needs new batteries, so I will test that when I can.
I now have a blue badge, I applied last Sunday and I had it by the following Saturday. Bliss... I can now walk around the shop a bit now, rather than walking to the shop and giving up.

I will keep in touch as things progress.

Uncle Rustic
Old 07-02-2017, 20:30   #54
johnb5177

Vehicle: 02Terrano II 3.0 SVE Auto

Be strong Uncle........respect...
johnb5177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 20:37   #55
Blocky10

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 3.0 SVE Auto

Seems you have everything under control uncle rustic.
Blocky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 21:18   #56
jims-terrano

We are always here for you Rustic
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 21:39   #57
rustic

In the treatment centre they have internet, and ipads to lend, so if on Thursday afternoon you see my helping out, you'll know where I'll be lol.
Old 07-02-2017, 22:14   #58
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Default Chemotherapy is getting easier to bear honestly !

As some here know I had Stage 2 Hodgkin's Disease (HD) back in 1987, I had the initial 6 months of Chemotherapy - a mix of drugs including one named Vincristin.

TBH the treatment did make me very sick for quite prolonged periods. After the end of the course I elected for a new Trial. This Trial was basically a further 6 month course of the Same Chemotherapy drugs but at half dose. The idea was that as regression is quite common with HD they thought an extended half dose course would help stop any relapses.

I was clear by April 1988 and for the next year was on 3 monthly, increasing to 4 monthly check ups. By August 1989 I was on 6 month check ups and my life had returned to normal.
I went for my second 6 month check up in February 1990 only to be told the HD had returned found by a routine X-ray and CT Scan follow up. As you can imagine my wife and I were devastated. I underwent another 6 month course of Chemotherapy followed by a month of Radiation treatment to my Chest area.

The treatment I had in 1990 had little resemblance to the terrible side effects I suffered with Vincristin that I will not go into here. I was admitted as a day patient at 9.00 am onto a ward and given an anti-convulsion injection just prior to my discharge usually at around 9.00 pm. I then had the District Nurse visit me at home around midnight for another jab with the offer if needed of one the following morning.

The improvement in treatment between 1987 and 1990 was astounding. I know they now use even better drugs, most Hospitals now have a dedicated suite for Chemotherapy.
I dropped onto 3 monthly check ups for a year then 4 monthly, then 6 monthly until it reached 12 monthly check ups only. In 2009 they discharged me completely.

Whist all Chemotherapy Drugs have side effects the reduction in nausea in particular has been a huge leap forward. I mention all this as many people have seen the old 1983 film "Champion" with John Hurt playing Bob Champion a film that depicted Chemotherapy as it was then not as it is now.
I was fortunate that the only real side effect I now remember of the later treatment was feeling incredibly tired due to low blood count and sleeping a lot.
I am not saying it's an easy journey but as my Oncologist told me back in 1987 the Cure is wonderful but the treatment less so.

I owe my life to the NHS, Dr Golding (Consultant Oncologist) and Dr Guthrie (Consultant Radiologist) of the old DRI in Derby both of whom have now retired.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 22:33   #59
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

I am so very glad that I have not had any bad issues with my health, both of you are fighters with strength, not sure I could put up with what you both have, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 22:39   #60
rustic

You know Ted, your posts and PM's have been the most inspiring, and thanks to all the other members for your support too, you have all given me hope. The encologist expects there will be an improvement.
The problem I have is the cancer has spread to a lot of places around my body, it's the pressure of the cancer at various sites on my spine that seems to be taking my mobility away. He thinks that the treatment will kill a lot of the cancer cells, with there being so many areas, it is the best option.

With cancer, the longer you live, the greater chance of an alternative treatment.
I know my oncologist will be zapping (radiology) a few more sites on my spine, but wants to see what the chemo does first.

I've not wanted to drive our every day motor (yeti) for over a month now, and my Maverick hasn't been driven for over 4 months, heavier steering than the yeti, it pulls on my chest too much.

I am confident that the treatment on Thursday onwards will be successful.
I am concerned about the additional fatigue, as I might have to get a stair lift if it gets any worse.

Do Nissan to a 4x4 mobility scooter?
Uncle Rustic