Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 18-05-2018, 23:20   #31
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by don simon View Post

I'm trying to deal with things on my own, there is no family support because those barstewards are one of the contributory factors. I found a packet of Cilatropram last week and was tempted to open it, but I see that as a failure, I didn't need tablets to help me get depressed, I shouldn't need them to get me out of here.

I'm not sure if any of that makes sense, but it's kind of good to get it out there.

Thanks for the positive replies and feedback.
Good weather always helps with mild depression (e.g. SAD) and of course exercise releases endorphins that affect mood in a positive way as does having sex. The brain is a complex organ that is really not well understood, it is sensitive to chemical changes that affect the circuitry & thus how you feel.

You should not see taking medication if it is prescribed by your GP as a failure, quite the reverse it takes courage to visit your GP and get help .

Just like you might have a vitamin injection for certain conditions as your body is lacking in certain nutrients (hence need for a balanced diet) so the brain sometimes causes physical manifestations like depression due to chemicals like serotonin being either too high or too low. Drugs such as S.U.I.'s can fix the brain function over time, some drugs work better with some and not others it is a bit trial and error. That said nothing ventured nothing gained.

You might be able to tough it out with self help and recover much like a bad sore throat often gets better without antibiotics. But the question I ask myself is can I avoid another sore throat by addressing the cause and treat the cause rather than the symptom.
This why CBT can help.

Not trying to preach or be smart just giving an opinion based on my personal journey through the last 70 years as a flawed human being
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 09:14   #32
perelaar
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano II 2.7TDi SWB '97

Don Simon, glad to hear things are going a bit better for you. Can't offer any meaningful advice as I have no experience with depression, but if you want to leave things behind for a few days and visit the land of Kafka, chocolate and beer I'm very willing to share some proper beers with you here in Belgium!
perelaar is offline   Reply With Quote