Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 14-05-2018, 15:20   #1
zephyr
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 2001 TerranoII SE+ 2.7Tdi
Default Early MOT...

Hey all, I have just realised that MOT will change and be more harsh to the diesels. As I was reading the page at .gov for the details, it says;

Quote:
4. Diesel vehicle emissions
There will be stricter limits for emissions from diesel cars with a diesel particulate filter (DPF).

You’ll test vehicles to the manufacturer’s plate value (when present), or a new lower default limit for newer vehicles.

You’ll also give a major fault if you:
- can see smoke of any colour coming from the exhaust
- find evidence that the DPF has been tampered with
...."can see smoke of any colour coming from the exhaust" - Does this mean any smoke when you start the engine or when it's idling after the engine starts? My T2 blew a bit of white/slight blue-ish smoke at times and I was wondering if this would become a "major fault"?
zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 15:45   #2
RJL Services

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano 2.7 2003

i always take mine to mot's with veg oil they can't get it to read on machine tester says he cant fail it because of a no reading only if it exceeds limits
RJL Services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 16:14   #3
jims-terrano

We also don’t have DPFs, think most of that is aimed at newer vehicles than ours.
Keep it serviced correctly, put a reasonable amount of new veg oil and take it for a good long run to burn crap out of the engine. Should sail through emissions testing then.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 17:44   #4
Barrbeast

Vehicle: 1990 4.2 SWB Safari

Guys it's right at the start of that paragraph "stricter limits for emissions from diesel cars with a diesel particulate filter (DPF)" - our trucks don't have DPFs so the new regs won't apply.
Barrbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 17:52   #5
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Angry New visible smoke test rules ?

I understand that the Diesel Smoke test is still done when the engine is at normal running temperature on a ramp so no fears with cold engine smoke or on the over-run at speed.

On older vehicles like my Jeep there is no DPF, my understanding is that if at constant revs there is visible smoke it is a fail.

I have yet to see any Diesel car that does not show some visible smoke for a short period during acceleration!

Lastly just about every City Bus & HGV in Derby is going to fail if the test is going to be as severe as it sounds.

I just hope there is some common sense come testing time our is not due until next February so that gives the tester time to get over the learning dip / curve!

Do we have an MoT tester amongst our Mebers that has had the new training course to give us some wise words?
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 12:57   #6
zephyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrbeast View Post
Guys it's right at the start of that paragraph "stricter limits for emissions from diesel cars with a diesel particulate filter (DPF)" - our trucks don't have DPFs so the new regs won't apply.
Oh I see, if this is the case then I didn't have to rush MOT now (original schedule was in Dec) - though it is not ideal to do anything during winter time so might not be a bad move....

macabethiel, yes, that would be good to hear any comments from the tester.
Old 15-05-2018, 13:02   #7
zephyr

Forgot to tell you for those who are in London.

I was using Universal Tyres Greenwich branch who were very reasonable and there were bunch of friendly people. Sadly for some reason they decided to close this branch. So now I'm bringing my T2 to their Plaistow branch. I would've recommended this garage to anyone in London, however I will need to see if their Plaistow branch is also good as reviews at Google have fairly lower scores comparing to Greenwich branch.

If you are in London and know any good garage who knows about Terrano, please let me know.
Old 15-05-2018, 20:33   #8
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
Forgot to tell you for those who are in London.

I was using Universal Tyres Greenwich branch who were very reasonable and there were bunch of friendly people. Sadly for some reason they decided to close this branch. So now I'm bringing my T2 to their Plaistow branch. I would've recommended this garage to anyone in London, however I will need to see if their Plaistow branch is also good as reviews at Google have fairly lower scores comparing to Greenwich branch.

If you are in London and know any good garage who knows about Terrano, please let me know.

Hi mate, for any engine problems it might be worth finding a taxi cab garage!! The black cabs used the same 2.7 engine (basically) and there must still be loads about, there must be loads of garages round london that know the engine inside out
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 08:06   #9
zephyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranosaurusdoug View Post
Hi mate, for any engine problems it might be worth finding a taxi cab garage!! The black cabs used the same 2.7 engine (basically) and there must still be loads about, there must be loads of garages round london that know the engine inside out
Thank you, yes, that is true. I actually didn't have a thought like this.

Universal Tyres Plaistow was ok, it just wasn't too friendly comparing to their closed Greenwich branch. I asked them to get MOT, full service done at this time as I thought it might be a good timing to change oils/filters.

Full service came out there wasn't any issue which there is not much way for me to make sure all of check points were done, at least the engine air filter was replaced with brand new one as far as I saw. However MOT came out with warnings;

(76K miles but the meter was replaced at 29K miles, so now roughly 105k miles)

A strange thing is that they said there's ENGINE MIL LIGHT ON - but I have never seen this light on before and after MOT there wasn't any light on. Thought about ABS light if it was on, but wouldn't MOT fail if you have ABS light on? So I wasn't quite sure what this warning light was. I should've asked but was a bit rushing at the time and couldn't ask.

So My T2 passed MOT anyway changing the yearly timing from December to May. Corrosion was what they said that I'd need welding in a couple of years time which I'm not sure if I will be able to keep for long as my partner start asking she'd be interested more in Mercedes, BMW.... I would easily go ahead with, for example, Elgrand or Alphard as I like a bit bigger car with good space
Old 18-05-2018, 10:49   #10
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

You got a pass, so that is good, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 23:22   #11
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

If you look underneath and find the rust you can clean it up with a wire brush and paint it with anti rust treatment, it doesn't sound like it is too late! If you catch it in time it will prolong the life of the vehicle and make it worth more when you sell it
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 06:48   #12
jims-terrano

Looks like a good pass as far as passes go but any pass is good news.

Advisories don’t seem to bad and as said get under there and clean, treat and protect.

A great bonus moving date of MOT which will make future tests easier to handle.

As for a change of vehicle, unfortunately that’s entirely up to you and your other half to sort out. Is it possible to get a low cost limited mileage insurance policy to allow you to keep your truck. If it can be stored off road keep the vehicle SORN for a while and use this option to buy a month or so tax at a time.

Best of luck whatever you do but sounds like you have a Terrano in good condition which these days is getting to be a rare thing.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 08:24   #13
zephyr

Thanks, Rick!

Doug, you're right. I did only clean up where I can reach without lifting it up in the last year. It is becoming hard to do this when I'm living in a flat (in the parking area where there isn't much space). So currently I'm thinking maybe I'd get the garage/someone to get it done.

Jim, yes, we are juggling the idea as to buy a car can be hassle as well as selling. I'm not talking about selling my T2, but I have Grand Scenic sitting in the parking bay, not really much being driven for the past year or so. I will get MOT done for this car and will sell. Then would think about next car, but it is not urgent as T2 is working without problem. Though I do wonder I should get T2 SVE when I see this kind of ad