Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Members free classifieds and wanted items. > E-Bay Items only

E-Bay Items only Please post E-bay items only in here.

Old 06-08-2011, 15:56   #1
Bee Elzebub
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: ...Has Gone! 0..0
Default What's eBay "Feedback", etc?

Seen many mentions of "feedback ratings" and the like on eBay and mentioned on threads here - what's that all about? If you're a first-time bidder on eBay, surely you won't have a rating at all? If so, how on earth can you bid for anything if people won't accept bids from anyone with a low 'rating'? Seems rather odd to me, as a beginner...
Bee Elzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 16:20   #2
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Elzebub View Post
Seen many mentions of "feedback ratings" and the like on eBay and mentioned on threads here - what's that all about? If you're a first-time bidder on eBay, surely you won't have a rating at all? If so, how on earth can you bid for anything if people won't accept bids from anyone with a low 'rating'? Seems rather odd to me, as a beginner...
But thats how it is. The more you sell the more feedbacks you get.

Personally I don't think the change to prevent sellers from giving negative feedback was helpful but thats just me.
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 16:23   #3
Terranical

Vehicle: 1994 Terrano 2.7TD SWB

Quote:
Feedback gives would-be buyers a history, hence sellers can get an idea whether or not they are going to get any problems.
I have been using eBay for eight years, and for the first time three weeks ago, sold an item to someone who had no feedback i.e. a new eBay user - guess what - they didn't pay, so I had the hassle of trying to get a refund of my fees from eBay, and also had to relist the item, so I will be joining the ranks of those who insist on a minimum number of positive feedbacks from buyers.
It's prats like that buyer who make things bad for everyone else.
If there is something you really want listed, and the seller insists on minimum feedback, get in touch with them (click on Contact Seller) and see if it's possible to come to a compromise.
Terranical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 16:30   #4
clivvy

Vehicle: Terrano 03 LWB

as above, feedback is just that. Its VERY useful for buyers AND sellers alike. True, its very hard for new sellers and new buyers, but thats how it is. Newbies build up their feedback by buying and leaving feedback for their purchases. There are lots of sellers who will accept new buyers, its mostly private sellers that require "10 feedback or more" etc, and i'm one of them. I wont sell to anyone with 0 feedback, all you do is request they contact you via email first, works for me.
clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 17:09   #5
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Seen many mentions of "feedback ratings" and the like on eBay and mentioned on threads here - what's that all about?
lets you tell the world if the other person is a twat. very useful
Deleted account DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 20:49   #6
Bee Elzebub

Don't suppose I'll be bothering much with eBay, then, if that's the requirement - I can't be bothered with all that hassle. Either people want your money, or they don't...

I can see the point in requiring feedback, but if you really want to buy someone's car and they insist on 10 feedbacks when it's your very first time on (and possibly may be the only time you're ever likely to try), a first-timer has absolutely no chance! I'd rather stick to ads in papers, if this is the rule. I've heard so many bad things about dodgy transactions on the site (my late stepson suffered from some) that I'm inclined to stay well clear.

No doubt there's some good things & deals to be had on eBay, but I think I'll stay off the auction side of things...

Cheers for clearing it up, anyway...
Old 06-08-2011, 21:35   #7
fridgman

Vehicle: 1997 Maverick 2.7TDi swb

Quote:
Don't suppose I'll be bothering much with eBay, then, if that's the requirement - I can't be bothered with all that hassle. Either people want your money, or they don't...

I can see the point in requiring feedback, but if you really want to buy someone's car and they insist on 10 feedbacks when it's your very first time on (and possibly may be the only time you're ever likely to try), a first-timer has absolutely no chance! I'd rather stick to ads in papers, if this is the rule. I've heard so many bad things about dodgy transactions on the site (my late stepson suffered from some) that I'm inclined to stay well clear.

No doubt there's some good things & deals to be had on eBay, but I think I'll stay off the auction side of things...

Quite often when the seller states a minimum requirement of feedback its to avoid the hassle of somebody bidding and then pulling out. If you contact the seller and demonstrate that you are serious about buying then they will most likely accept your bid.
What I find strange is that people bid on expensive things, like cars, based solely on the sales pitch! Surely a few questions to the seller or even look at it before bidding? I am aware that many people bid, win, then try to haggle when they come to pay the money!
fridgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 23:30   #8
Bee Elzebub

Yep, I know what you mean! No way would I buy a car/bike, etc, off eBay without firing zillions of questions at the vendor, and if possible, visit & inspect it before a serious bid. Our lad was caught out on one purchase - it ended in the scrappy as a rusted bodge-up - so I generally use the site as an idea generator, and if what I'm looking at is actually a dealer, I go try before I think of buying... If not, I don't bother.

Our lad was a regular 'dealer' of cars on eBay, always trading upward for better toys; he once accepted a winning bid on a Smart car he had; the 'buyer' turned up on a train, with a bankers' draft £600 short of his final bid, hoping to wangle a deal & drive away quick...but ended up thumbing a lift home to Manchester from Norfolk when the lad told him ... where to get off ... Some people, eh?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:52   #9
fridgman

Vehicle: 1997 Maverick 2.7TDi swb

Quote:
he once accepted a winning bid on a Smart car he had; the 'buyer' turned up on a train, with a bankers' draft £600 short of his final bid, hoping to wangle a deal & drive away quick...but ended up thumbing a lift home to Manchester from Norfolk when the lad told him ... where to get off ... Some people, eh?
The cheek of some people! But as I said I know it goes on and I know they get away with it too
fridgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 16:00   #10
xkalibre

Vehicle: 97 Mav Tdi

i never ask for a minimum feedback level when selling anything on ebay.

i only got messed about when selling a car - buyer bid in last 1/2 hour - no feedback - gave me his details but then wouldn't answer the phone/emails sohad to relist it....only thing that annoys me...i can't leave him negative feedback even though i had to go through unpaid bidder complaint

some people unfrtunately don't realise that you bid to buy not to haggle/decide you don't want it

all part of the fun with evilbay tho
xkalibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 16:03   #11
Kamsin

Vehicle: Maverick 4x4 2.7 TDI 97

Quote:

A lot of buyers will except your bid but may ask you to contact them first via landline, this is to protect the buyer and the seller. If you really wanted some thing and bid on it, then someone who has no intrest in it with no feed back out bids you, just for the hell of it, they wont pay, the buyer wont sell and you missed out too.

I have had it happen to me, lost the bidding only to find it gets re-listed as the bidder failed to pay.

Ebay is getting really bad right now and i try to avoid privates sales as its sometimes too much hassle.

I also avoid the " I reserve the right to cancell the auction as its advertised else where " as this is just a ploy to end the auction if they dont get a price they want, but are to tight to put a reserve price on. I always ask them how much its advertised at esle where and if it i feel it a good price, offer to buy it now. Most of them will give an excuse not to sell to you though, it dont make sence does it. If they have it in the local paper at £300 but wont sell it to you for that incase you would pay more, but will be happy to let Joe Bloogs turn up with £300

Oh GOD look what you have done, i gone and got my soap box out again....
Kamsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 16:27   #12
ClanWolf

Vehicle: Terrano II 2.4i SE

Been a member for 11 years or so, recently Ebay has been my lifeline for selling personal stuff so I can fuel me, the cats & the T2. My positive feedback chugged past 1000 a month or two ago. I will always deal with low feedback buyers in the same way I do with all buyers. If they want to f*ck about, it's their lookout. Ebay and PayPal are dead harsh on your behalf to transgressors if you've stayed within their guidelines, and they take no shit from those who would bring their cash cow into disrepute.

Feedback is essential for buyers to see if the seller is a tit. What gets me is the number of people who just don't bother to leave feedback after recieving an item. Sheer selfish laziness.

I have only encountered problems with a few transactions in ten years, two because the seller was lying, two because the buyer thought I was telepathic over their problems, two because the buyer refused to do anything (including paying me), three lost in transit (fully refunded via post office), one broken in transit due to a packing error on my part (I refunded buyer in full).

I got my only negative feedback from a truly obnoxious twat who argued my shipping terms after he'd agreed them prior to winning the auction. I had to refund him FOUR times because he just wouldn't accept the fact that what he was asking could not be done and as such I was not going to tolerate him. Eventually I directly involved PayPal & Ebay to get him off me.

As for low feed back bidding, just talk to the seller. The 'no low feedback' clause is standard self defence to avoid scammers and wasters. Most asshats won't bother to establish a rapport with the seller, so they should permit you to buy when they realise that you're serious.
ClanWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 18:09   #13
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Lightbulb

Quote:
I have never had any problem with being a bidder on e-bay as Paypal protection favours the buyer. Perhaps if its a high value item then maybe some sellers do not want a no deal on something like a vehicle.

I think if you are a first time seller its probably more of an issue if what you are selling is expensive.

I sold my Yamaha XJ900 last year on e-bay. Within an hour I had two local enquries so I cancelled the entry paid the fee and sold it to the first bloke who made an enquiry and he paid my expected price.

I have never had an issue even during early e-bay times about my ratings.

Only had one load of grief when I bought some alloy wheels from a bloke in Liverpool I paid via Paypal 2 minutes after the auction ended. I knew I had a bargain- guess waht he refunded me an hour later and said there had been a mistake in the listing!

How there could be a mistake when he sent me pictures of the wheels and answered two of my questions I do not know but there was no reserve and I guess none of the watchers bidded against me.

I gave him poor feedback with the details and he then gave me poor feedback as you used to be able to do. In the event it turned out OK as the next week I bought similar wheels in better condition for less and they were more local for me to pick up. RE-sold the wheels on e-bay some 3 years later for £100 more !!
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 21:21   #14
Bee Elzebub

I guess it's always a case of Buyer Beware, as with everywhere else - just seems a bit odd in some ways. I can see many benefits, but I suspect a good few pitfalls, too. Oh, well - it's always going to be a debatable issue, eh? Everyone seems to have such different experiences...
Old 07-08-2011, 21:29   #15
cncfabs

Vehicle: terrano

More like seller beware the odds are well and truely stacked in buyers favor you could buy car on there pay by paypal collect the car and still get your money back unto 45 days later and still keep the car.The only risks on ebay are the sellers, any parcel sent out must be trackable or you leave yourself open to chargeback.
cncfabs is offline   Reply With Quote