Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 27-04-2016, 18:18   #1
Madmark
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: highly modded Terrano 2
Default extended mirrors when towing caravan

With a t2 does any one use extended mirrors when towing caravan if so what ones
Madmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 19:01   #2
Blocky10

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 3.0 SVE Auto

I got a pair of mirrors with my caravan called "suck it and see". Avoid these as they shake about. Best I've used are mirrors that clip or strap to the terrano mirror assembly.
Ian
Blocky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 19:10   #3
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmark View Post
With a t2 does any one use extended mirrors when towing caravan if so what ones
Yes.... but we have a wide caravan.

When I towed the older normal width van I did not bother at first, as I also have a camera on the back of the van, which with it's angle of view meant I had an overlap and could see vehicles in both the camera and the mirrors as they came up the side., but I was told that by law I can't count the camera, and it's only the side mirror views that count. Without the camera, I could not see down the actual sides of the caravan which is the areas you have to be able to see by law...

I have the older version of the "Milenco Aero 2 Convex" mirrors that also have the straps as well as the clamp. I like the belt and braces approach, and don't find they vibrate that much.

I also attach the towing mirror to the top of the T2 mirror, with the bend to the mirror going up, which puts the mirror above other cars mirrors and reduced the chances of someone taking them out.

You can just make them out here..
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 19:45   #4
jims-terrano

Yep when I towed the caravan I still needed them. We have big mirrors as standard but they don't really stick out far enough to have a clear view. I always had mirrors for both sides even though I know a lot of people don't.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 20:22   #5
Sweety

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDI SE LWB

Always do as standard mirrors don't give the view that is needed by law, only can see the front edges of our bailey ranger with the T2 mirrors & not down the side
Sweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 20:49   #6
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

3 points, and up to £1000 if you don't

Used one with two traps,
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 18:22   #7
panelbeater

Vehicle: nissan terrano 2 2.7 tdi

a transit was pulled over for no mirrors on way to clacton.had to drop van and get some befor cop would let it go.
panelbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 22:05   #8
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

I just bought some "rock steady" brand mirrors, basically a cheaper version of milenco, usable but not very impressed, two rubber straps broke first time I used them.
I would tell you not to get convex or concave mirrors though, its a personal preference of but they do my head in
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 22:30   #9
Lazy-Ferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranosaurusdoug View Post
I just bought some "rock steady" brand mirrors, basically a cheaper version of milenco, usable but not very impressed, two rubber straps broke first time I used them.
I would tell you not to get convex or concave mirrors though, its a personal preference of but they do my head in
I have had the Strap Milenco ones for 4 years now, and they are still fine... I never cut my straps down, I just tuck the excess behind the strap to stop it flapping around.

I like the Convex and find they give a better overall view, some how I accidentally ended up with one of each, when I should have had 2 Convex, but it was too late to take them back. I use the normal one on the nearside but find the viewing angle too small to be of any real use, so am keeping my eye out for another convex one.
Old 03-05-2016, 22:49   #10
terranosaurusdoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret View Post
I have had the Strap Milenco ones for 4 years now, and they are still fine... I never cut my straps down, I just tuck the excess behind the strap to stop it flapping around.

I like the Convex and find they give a better overall view, some how I accidentally ended up with one of each, when I should have had 2 Convex, but it was too late to take them back. I use the normal one on the nearside but find the viewing angle too small to be of any real use, so am keeping my eye out for another convex one.
I will get some milenco's at some point, still experimenting with these, I've been swapping them from side to side to see if I can get used to convex mirror and if i can see more with it.

the screw downs on yours I think are metal, mine are plastic, and like I said when I first used them two of the straps broke, but those were the best that thd local caravan place stocked and i was desperate.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:39   #11
Lazy-Ferret

Quote:
I will get some milenco's at some point, still experimenting with these, I've been swapping them from side to side to see if I can get used to convex mirror and if i can see more with it.

the screw downs on yours I think are metal, mine are plastic, and like I said when I first used them two of the straps broke, but those were the best that thd local caravan place stocked and i was desperate.
Yes the Milenco ones have steel screws, and a nice big pad that clips on the end of the screw, to spread the load and stop them marking the mirrors.

If you don't get on with yours and find you prefer the flat mirrors, I have a spare pair of flat Milenco ones here, Only thing is, they are the later ones that don't have the strap. They came with the replacement Caravan when we got it, but as I said, I like my older ones. I am sure we could come to some agreement on them.
Old 04-05-2016, 17:06   #12
terranosaurusdoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret View Post
Yes the Milenco ones have steel screws, and a nice big pad that clips on the end of the screw, to spread the load and stop them marking the mirrors.

If you don't get on with yours and find you prefer the flat mirrors, I have a spare pair of flat Milenco ones here, Only thing is, they are the later ones that don't have the strap. They came with the replacement Caravan when we got it, but as I said, I like my older ones. I am sure we could come to some agreement on them.
Cool, are they the tear drop ones or the square ones?
Old 04-05-2016, 19:54   #13
Lazy-Ferret

Quote:
Cool, are they the tear drop ones or the square ones?
Tear drop.
Old 05-05-2016, 17:55   #14
micktheshed

Vehicle: Dec 2004, terrano 3l Auto

It's only legal to have no extending mirrors if the trailer is narrower than the car i.e. the normal mirrors give a clear view down both sides. For me it makes sense to have the extension either side anyway: if the mirrors go thru a gap then so will the 'van LOL.
On a related point, does anyone know how to stop the original mirrors vibrating?
I resort to forcing the excess rubber strap (from the extension mirrors) under them or using card as a wedge. I had the same problem on my Frontera.
micktheshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 20:54   #15
panelbeater

Vehicle: nissan terrano 2 2.7 tdi

i use the suction type must wet seals though before winding the center screw in though,sometimes they fall off onto the lanyard though.
panelbeater is offline   Reply With Quote