Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 20-03-2013, 04:37   #91
Adam_83
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano 1991

hay folks adam again..... if i open the reservoir and pump the clutch will it expel the air in the line or am i dreaming and would this method work...

5 mins onwards (its the backward method)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdf--suwqw0
Adam_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 09:09   #92
briggie

Vehicle: " alice "

i could be wrong , but it could also draw air in perhaps ( i know nuffin , just random thoughts of an idiot )
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 11:16   #93
Adam_83

GAME OVER

oh well folks... just took the car out for a spin and lost the clutch pedal totally, all fluid has gone and it made its way out the slave,

i went to a local garage and he said it is most likely i have put to much pressure in the line from altering the pedal and blew it out,

booked in tomorrow will keep you posted,

thanks for the help.
Old 20-03-2013, 13:21   #94
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

Ohhh no...

to be honest though, it may just have been all the extra use from bleeding the clutch and it was actually the slave cylinder that was pulling in the air in the first place.

When I first started driving, my car which was about 20 years old, was a bit of a mechanical state, and the brake fluid was in a right state, probably not changed in a very very long time, if ever. When I got it, the rear brakes were seized and not working, so while changing the rear cylinders, and doing a full service I changed the brake fluid as well. It was a Black/Brown sludge, and was so thick, I had to take the bleed nipples out, as it kept clogging them up.

I set to bleeding the brakes, but could not get the air out, and had to give up until I could talk to my dad, as I thought I was doing something wrong. When he looked, I had killed the master cylinder while bleeding. It turned out that the unused bit of the Master cylinder had corroded and was really rough, so while bleeding, I was using the whole cylinder including the bit that does not normally get used at the bottom where the roughness was, and it took out the seal.

I wonder if as your fluid was in such a state, if your slave was as bad.

Interesting you don't have the damper pipe on that model, or from the sounds of it, the extra bleed nipple on the master cylinder either, at least you know it was not either of them causing the problem.

You can see mine, ringed in red.
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:09   #95
Adam_83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret View Post
Ohhh no...
i know tell me about it, like your story i often wait for my dad to look at things bit he mostly he says stuff like ' what have you done' and 'why do you always mess with things?' lol

i have been happily smashing it about in my newly fixed ($550) terrano and on my drive the normal groan from the gear box has gotten a lot louder, previous posts and help helped me to diagnose that it was a worn gear box bearing but on the long drive the noise got louder, bit in 1st bit in 2nd louder in 3rd if high revs, nothing in 4th, and in 5th over 60 it is horrible, rum rum rum rum a mechanical grinding noise, like before just not a little noise a big noticeable pain in the aŁ%3 that scares me to death as i am worried i will right off the box.

trip to the mechanic again i think. just a shame i am 300 miles out of town and have to take it to a little local place, but from what i have seen local ozzy boys are the best so i will let you know,,,,

could it be just an increased noise and can i still drive it and just put up with it or (as my mechanic said on the phone) do i risk damaging the box as the 'cluster' is noisy.... not sure what that is think it is a number of gears used in 1,2,3 and 5 and not used in 4th?

cheers folks

ad
Old 17-04-2013, 12:36   #96
Adam_83

Default Help Now Needed

HELP NEEDED

right folks i took it in and the chap said ' your gear box is not very well' the scratching from the box has gotten worse (but nothing in 4th) anyway the guy said i need a recon box as all the bearings are making noise, he said (very honest of him) that i could drive it until it 'Sh1t'2 Itself' (got to love the ozzys) or pay to get it fixed as in both instances it will cost the same.

the big problem is the cost $2000 to fix the box, everything is expensive here but that is out of this world.

he advised a change of oil and oil stabaliser to quieten it down and reduce wear, now i did this and the noise has gone form 9 out of 10 to 5 out of 10 but i can still hear it scratching, the gear box plug didnt look too brill, it was wearing a big metal wig :

at least no big chunks ah.... well all the rubbish is out and the new oil and stabaliser is in.... the big question now is ...

Can i drop the box myself, i will save loads on labour if i drop the box and take it in myself, i am on a farm and have access to a ramp and tools just need to know (from your experience) if it can be done by a novice?

any advice would be great,

please help Adam who is stuck in Oz with non of his mates

thanks

ad
Old 17-04-2013, 12:37   #97
Adam_83

or just drive it till it breaks what so you guys think, i am told it could just be noisy for ever but i am scared i will do lasting damage .....

what would you do ??

thanks folks
Old 17-04-2013, 13:21   #98
stinka

Vehicle: '02 Terrano TDI sport lwb

Drive it till it breaks mate, mine has some serious rattle on idle, but its smooth as hell

I read on ausie forums that not all the bearings are immersed and the upper bearing relys heavily on splash lube, but you need to over fill the box by 1 ltr to get any oil on this bearing, so it collapses. I think its the input shaft bearing

I'm going to do mine at some point, drain it, jack it up on 1 side so its leaning then I can get that extra litre in the box
stinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 11:53   #99
Adam_83

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinka View Post
Drive it till it breaks mate, mine has some serious rattle on idle, but its smooth as hell
thanks stinka that is what i was thinking, i put some thick oil in and that has made it a bit better and 4.5l of oil may add more

would you say up to 5ltrs ?

cheers

ad

oh and mine is easy i can fill it from the top so easy to get the extra in.