Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 22-02-2014, 23:39   #31
solarman216
Off road maniac
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Spanner View Post
Finally found one without the dreaded TIN worm

Only problem is, its star ship enterprise mileage its done 186k

Its a 2005 3.0 and the price reflects the mileage, full service history owned by the same chap since new

How good are these engines is it worth a punt or should it be avoided
the basic T2 will go on and on, 2.7's if looked after will do 300k plus London taxi's used them, the 3 had problems early on with pistons/bores or some thing related, but later ones solved this issue, I do not know the year of the cure, but if this one has done that sort of mileage I would say it is safe, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 21:16   #32
Rusty Spanner

Doesn't really matter now .... Gone and bought myself a real 4 x 4 got my self a Defender

Every Terrano I looked at was seriously suffering from Tin worm probably worse than most Land Rovers, so decided to stick with what I know cheers any way guys

Rusty Spanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 21:34   #33
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Quote:
Doesn't really matter now .... Gone and bought myself a real 4 x 4 got my self a Defender

Every Terrano I looked at was seriously suffering from Tin worm probably worse than most Land Rovers, so decided to stick with what I know cheers any way guys

Hope you can control the oil leaks, has it got all the dif locks? ie 3 cos if not my Mav will be recovering you if I see you at Slindon, lost count of the Defenders I have recovered there, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 21:52   #34
Sweety

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDI SE LWB

Quote:

2 of my friends are having to replace their chassis & body panels on their defenders due to major tin worm I like a motor that's warm & dry inside & works not broken down at the side of the road, on the back of an AA truck or just have parts falling off all of the time been there, seen it with LR The old saying once you go jap you don't go back is true
Sweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 00:11   #35
Rusty Spanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweety View Post
2 of my friends are having to replace their chassis & body panels on their defenders due to major tin worm I like a motor that's warm & dry inside & works not broken down at the side of the road, on the back of an AA truck or just have parts falling off all of the time been there, seen it with LR The old saying once you go jap you don't go back is true
Been around Land Rovers all my life, but really fancied a Terrano I know how capable they are off road but no need for mines better than yours shite especially when its just not true Solarman your Terranos ass is so near the ground I struggle to see how you can call it off roading

It was just the rust issues, we all know how easy and accessible Defenders are. Chassis and bulkhead are so easy to work on, but I took one look at the Terrano rear sill rot and wouldn't know were to start, so looks like I'm going to be spending my time cold wet and deaf but hey ho each to there own
Old 08-03-2014, 00:54   #36
Sweety

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDI SE LWB

Quote:
no need for mines better than yours shite
To be fair mate i've had years of crap off LR owners for owning a Terrano & keep getting told you want to get a real 4x4 a LR so i'm quick to fire back these days as I stupidly got a disco 2 & it was crap off road compared to my old SWB Terrano
Sweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:06   #37
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

Quote:
Gone and bought myself a real 4 x 4 got my self a Defender
To be fair, as Sweety says, you started it with that comment...

A T2 comes from the factory as a very capable off roader, with out having to fit things... even wading in shallow water, the T2's diff and gear box breathers are already extended to a reasonable depth, where as on the Landrovers, you have to fit plugs to stop water getting in...

You can't post something like that on a Nissan forum, without expecting people to retaliate, especially when saying something as misleading as a Defender is a "Real Off Roader" when all the ones that are any good are heavily modified, chopped and altered with a stack of additions.
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:07   #38
Rusty Spanner

Well that was my choice disco 2 or Terrano

Disco 2 is a total heap of proverbial couldn't find anyone with anything good to say about them , only thing that put me off the Terrano was not being able to find a good one as in no sill rot, The only decent one I could find was a 3.0l and I just wasn't sure about the engine so I'm back in the Defender camp with a trusty AA card ....you never can tell....
Old 08-03-2014, 01:08   #39
Rusty Spanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret View Post
To be fair, as Sweety says, you started it with that comment...

A T2 comes from the factory as a very capable off roader, with out having to fit things... even wading in shallow water, the T2's diff and gear box breathers are already extended to a reasonable depth, where as on the Landrovers, you have to fit plugs to stop water getting in...

You can't post something like that on a Nissan forum, without expecting people to retaliate, especially when saying something as misleading as a Defender is a "Real Off Roader" when all the ones that are any good are heavily modified, chopped and altered with a stack of additions.
Crawl back in your hole
Old 08-03-2014, 01:10   #40
Rusty Spanner

I asked a question about a possible purchase how many reply's......... let me count........ erm ...... 1

Mention a Land Rover my god there all out the wood work might of been better offering some constructive advice and I might of bought a Nissan
Old 08-03-2014, 01:33   #41
Rusty Spanner

Anyway thanks to those that offered some help

Think I better make my way over to one of them erm Land Rover Forums before the Fender gives up the ghost

Are they proper forums by the way or do Nissan forums pull them out of the MUD also

Later people
Old 08-03-2014, 01:43   #42
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:
Crawl back in your hole
Play nicely!!

You came here for advice on a Nissan forum and we gave you our informed "opinions" based on our own experiences.

You brought a Defender that was your choice, a very capable motor mate and I would love to own one.

Like all motors if looked after from the start like rustics Maverick they will more than likely outlast most modern cars, it's luck of the draw, metal is metal and it will oxidise and rust eventually if not protected, some more than other depending on environment and usage.

I wish you all the best with your Defender mate and hope it brings you many happy years of motoring

How about a few pics?

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:02   #43
bry

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano MK 2 SE

If you need to compare a Jap Motor against a landy.Have a look and see what the Aussie folk in the out back use.Nuff Said..
bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:47   #44
Rusty Spanner

This threads going in the wrong direction

My first comment about a real 4 x 4 was a bit of wit, it was meant in jest, sorry to offend I really didn't think it would be taken that way

I really did fancy a Terrano as previously stated.... I've had Land Rovers all my Life I know what they are pitfalls and all, and believe me they have them . The only thing that stopped me buying a Terrano was the fact I couldn't find one that didn't need welding. I know what your thinking you'll struggle finding a Defender that's not been bitten by the tin worm, and you would be right
Although I can weld I doubt I would be up to reconstructing the sill sections and rear floor of a Terrano were as chassis work on a Defender is no problem ,
I was looking for a SWB Terrano without any signs of Tin worm, something I could of kept on top off with a bit of preventative maintenance, I just couldn't find one

Cheers Banshee I'll post a couple of pics next time I'm out and about

Cheers people take care .... Now were did I put that AA card .....
Old 08-03-2014, 10:49   #45
jims-terrano

To be fair Rusty Spanner was quite right, they are rot boxes especially the newer ones and that's why I haven't got myself a new one. There are some right sheds about and garages want top dollar for them. What's worse the older ones are often getting so long in the tooth they're not a good buy either. Personally I want to be in the queue to buy Rustic's .

I also don't give a stuff what anyone drives and I like Landy's too. All car's have their common issues and if you are familiar with a particular car the issues may not worry you.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote