Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 16-09-2017, 10:54   #61
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Default Jeep out of frying pan into fire be careful ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlipper View Post
I did slide under Banshee, but to be honest it looked remarkably clean to me! There was some rust that I presumed to be surface rust because it looked (at least to my untrained eye) no worse than my car which has never even had an advisory for rust.
I've just come back from the garage and I'm livid! It turns out the cracked windscreen was caused by the chassis flexing because of the level of corrosion. I'm so angry that the seller watched me put my grand-daughter into that car and drive off.
He's refusing to answer the phone to me now, I get his missus answering, stating he's not there, then slipping it onto speakerphone so he can hear what I'm saying.
Thanks to Google cache I've collected loads of evidence that he's actually a trader, not a private seller. These days you have to go through Citizen's Advice to be referred to Trading Standards, so I've done the first bit and I'm hoping that TS get back to me (it's purely at their discretion ).
I still don't have too much hope of recompense, but I'm going to make sure that I'm a thorn in that guy's side for as long as he's selling cars.
On the plus side, I've located a Grand Cherokee 4.0L (lpg) and the guy (a mechanic) wants the Terrano in the deal because he'll weld it himself and put it to work on a farm. He's also willing to put a new ticket on the GC.
The garage quoted me £700 just for the welding - and those are backstreet prices for an old friend!
That's bad news is he local to you or too far to pay him a visit ?

Just a word of warning the Jeep Grand Cherokee will in all probability cost you a fair bit in maintenance depending how old it is and if it's a WJ series or older. Give you an idea my WJ 2.7 CRD XS model is an early 2005 registered. We bought it in Jan 2015 with FSH and 69-70 k on the clock. Now done 102k and has cost £2300 in service & repairs including tyres. Main costs this year have been on the suspension.

There are others on here who have run Jeeps or have LPG conversion experience. My son-in-law had a LPG conversion on his Audi A8 and it never seemed to run right. I think there is a wide range of conversions and quality with LPG. Don't forget you can't use Eurotunnel with LPG vehicle.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 23:12   #62
Phlipper

Vehicle: Terrano II 2.7TDi

Thanks maca'
I've now bought a 2005 Kia Sorento 3.5 v6 auto with an LPG conversion. It's a lovely car, drives like new but was owned by a painter/decorator so the leather has splashes of white paint dotted around and the car stinks strongly of paint thinner (currently trying the ground coffee trick as we speak). I'm hoping I'll have better luck this time, still wondering what to do for the best about the Terrano though.
Apparently you can't actually speak to Trading Standards these days, you have to go through Citizens Advice, who then refer you to TS, and you just have to wait and see if they contact you.
In an ideal world, I'd think a rogue trader posing as a private seller who sold and watched a man load a 7yr old child into a deathtrap would peak the interest of TS, sadly I fear we don't live in that world these days. I suspect that a small claim against him will only be me throwing good money after bad (been down that route before, and if he knows the law he'll know just how toothless the system is). He's selling under a few pseudonyms too, so when I finally pin down which one is his real name I'm going to make sure that he's well publicised.
Phlipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 09:13   #63
RJL Services

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano 2.7 2003

drive it to his place block his access take wheels of it spray paint terrano with slogans about the death trap he sold you so every one knows take local press with you
RJL Services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 10:08   #64
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJL Services View Post
drive it to his place block his access take wheels of it spray paint terrano with slogans about the death trap he sold you so every one knows take local press with you
This guy knows the drill!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 10:25   #65
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Default Direct Action not for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJL Services View Post
I agree with your sentiments but I just could not do it I lack the courage!
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 21:08   #66
Phlipper

Default Urgent advice

Could do with a bit of urgent advice if anyone's about?
Old 20-09-2017, 21:15   #67
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

What do you want to know? Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 21:18   #68
Phlipper

I put my wreck up for sale on ebay at £650, because there seem to be a few non-runners up at around that price, and I've just been offered £500 to take it tomorrow. I'm just wondering if they are genuinely fetching 6 - 700 as doer-uppers? Have you any experience with this... don't really want to be out of pocket £200, but a bird in the hand, as they say
Old 20-09-2017, 21:36   #69
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

I would have offered you no more than £300 for it in that state, take the £500 now, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 21:46   #70
Phlipper

Thank you, advice taken!