Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 29-08-2018, 22:10   #1
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van
Default "Death of the Diesel"

Make of this what you will and feel free to discuss but I felt a sadness whilst reading this :/

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...8s-axed-models

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 22:23   #2
luke1987
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano 2.7 SE LWB

Out of all those I will miss the volvo D5 the most, That 5 cylinder was just an immense engine so smooth and went like the clappers with bags of torque. On the plus side I have recently noticed that we are busier than ever and more people are choosing to repair there cars than throw them away, I think it is inevitable that diesels and petrols for that matter will phase out but not in our lifetime. It will be a long time before my td27 gets replaced with a glorified washing machine motor and 6 tons of batteries plus if they stop selling diesel altogether we've always got veg .
luke1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 22:49   #3
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

The powers that be are so out of touch with reality it beggars belief, their thoughts come out of their arses, battery power just shifts the power plant to the power stations, and we are not building any viable ones for the future, as for the batteries yea right, just ask where all the lithium is coming from, I am a great Solar fan (as I am off grid) but please do not try and tell me it will save the planet, once you analyse the complete picture from manufacture, transport, installation, use for 20 or so years, decommission and disposal you will see there is very little gain if any, the powers in charge mostly are lining their own pockets with so called green technology because they are involved with with the firms concerned, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 00:09   #4
jonny

Vehicle: Terrano

Can't argue with that Rick. I was talking to an electrical guy I know (He runs a huge firm that fits out hospitals, stadiums that kind of thing) and he made a valid point that our electric grid is old and there is no way it can cope with 10s of thousands of cars being plugged in at once. They have to figure in a surge for kettles when the adds come on during a popular show, no chance with thousands of cars.
jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 06:37   #5
jims-terrano

Sadly we live in a society that is led by the media, sadder still is the media would appear to be the government or upper echelons tool.
Somewhere along the line someone will be making money out of all this and I seriously doubt there have ever been any green credentials regarding policies towards the motorist.
One thing to note from personal experience. As of late I’ve been going out for walks at break times, one of my routes takes me over a motorway bridge. There is a definite smell of diesel fumes in the air. Looking out over the motorway the majority of traffic is commercial which is powered by large diesels. Maybe if ever the man with common sense gets to run things the transport system will be revisited. Unfortunately one of the assets that our victorian forefathers left us was demonised and axed in the 60s never to return due to our societies insatiable appetite for building. The railways were an invaluable asset for transportation of goods and indeed people.

Enough of my cynicism, drive what vehicle you prefer for as long as you feel it is practically possible. I reckon most of our choices will include a TD27
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 07:08   #6
Banshee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
Sadly we live in a society that is led by the media, sadder still is the media would appear to be the government or upper echelons tool.
Somewhere along the line someone will be making money out of all this and I seriously doubt there have ever been any green credentials regarding policies towards the motorist.
One thing to note from personal experience. As of late I’ve been going out for walks at break times, one of my routes takes me over a motorway bridge. There is a definite smell of diesel fumes in the air. Looking out over the motorway the majority of traffic is commercial which is powered by large diesels. Maybe if ever the man with common sense gets to run things the transport system will be revisited. Unfortunately one of the assets that our victorian forefathers left us was demonised and axed in the 60s never to return due to our societies insatiable appetite for building. The railways were an invaluable asset for transportation of goods and indeed people.

Enough of my cynicism, drive what vehicle you prefer for as long as you feel it is practically possible. I reckon most of our choices will include a TD27
Here here Jim

The whole thing smells like scandal and corruption

Your point regarding commercial vehicles is very true, I don't see any rules or regs coming in for these type vehicles but instead the poor motorist has to suffer again

Old 30-08-2018, 08:01   #7
jims-terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Here here Jim

The whole thing smells like scandal and corruption

Your point regarding commercial vehicles is very true, I don't see any rules or regs coming in for these type vehicles but instead the poor motorist has to suffer again
The unfortunate thing about commercial vehicle using diesel is we are dependent on them now. Without them our society couldn’t function. There’s not just the goods or transportation of people but also a vast amount of employment which is people’s livelihoods.

My best advice is live as you can with as little harm to others as possible or in other words live and let live, I can think of people who need that advice but fortunately none on here.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 09:42   #8
perelaar

Vehicle: Terrano II 2.7TDi SWB '97

Mind you, overhere in Belgium it is near on impossible to keep an older diesel powered vehicle. Reason why I sold the T2, even though I'm sure it could have gone one for at least 5 or 6 years.

Enormous road taxes (for my T2, >800€/year), ban on driving in city centers if you don't have a Euro5 or 6 (and several cities considering complete ban of ALL diesel vehicles), ever increasing fuel prices (diesel now close to 1,5€/litre, about £6,2 per UK gallon)...
perelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 17:06   #9
Banshee

Quote:
Originally Posted by perelaar View Post
Mind you, overhere in Belgium it is near on impossible to keep an older diesel powered vehicle. Reason why I sold the T2, even though I'm sure it could have gone one for at least 5 or 6 years.

Enormous road taxes (for my T2, >800€/year), ban on driving in city centers if you don't have a Euro5 or 6 (and several cities considering complete ban of ALL diesel vehicles), ever increasing fuel prices (diesel now close to 1,5€/litre, about £6,2 per UK gallon)...

Old 31-08-2018, 21:56   #10
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs up I agree Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
The powers that be are so out of touch with reality it beggars belief, their thoughts come out of their arses, battery power just shifts the power plant to the power stations, and we are not building any viable ones for the future, as for the batteries yea right, just ask where all the lithium is coming from, I am a great Solar fan (as I am off grid) but please do not try and tell me it will save the planet, once you analyse the complete picture from manufacture, transport, installation, use for 20 or so years, decommission and disposal you will see there is very little gain if any, the powers in charge mostly are lining their own pockets with so called green technology because they are involved with with the firms concerned, Rick
When me and my mate are having a pint, talking drivel etc in a haze of alcohol we have named it moving the "exhaust pipe" with electric cars that are battery driven.

The UK government joined the push towards diesel in private cars now they are punishing those who joined the switch. I am still staggered that they did not check real world vehicle emissions.

As always hitting the less well off in society with high fuel tax and VEL duty. I drive two diesels that are over 12 years old and they subsidise those rich enough buy an all electric vehicle - that our tax money being given to Tesla Drivers etc.

In about 20 years time there will be a mountain of old batteries to dispose of or try to recycle.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote