Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 20-08-2018, 21:17   #1
Wheelie
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Nissan patrol 3.0 DI
Default I am pi$$ed

After spending another £1700 quid on my patrol for the repairs after my Portugal trip I’ve had another small issue. For those that remember I had an oil pressure warning light come on whilst in Portugal which we put down to water ingress in the switch or wiring from the river crossing. So, the light came back on yesterday so I ordered a new switch and tonight I thought I’ll have a look to see how easy it is to fit. Whilst looking in and around the engine bay I noticed the lovely new transmission cooler pipes and rubbers that cost me £350 just for the parts so I traced them back to where my original leak was which still has the jubilee clip that i put on in EFFING PORTUGAL to stop the leak..
Not only that I happened to notice the appalling welding on the lower brackets for the radiator/condenser. I took the grill out for closer inspection to find the whole of the cross beam that holds all the rads etc is completely rotten. I have spoken briefly to the garage regarding the initial leak I had but by the time I had found the rot they had closed, so in the morning they will be getting another phone call a I can’t promised that I won’t loose my cool, and for those that have spent anytime with me should know I’m pretty horizontal but this has really angered me. They could of said about the cross member being rotten before trying to weld to rust at least given me the option to make a decision on where I want to go with it and as for the leak that has still not been repaired well I’m gobsmacked
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 21:25   #2
jims-terrano

I hate garages working on my cars for this reason.

Is the cross member just like the terrano cross member, not actually structural other than holding rads? If it is it shouldn’t be too difficult as it can be bolt together rather than welded.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 21:35   #3
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Gobsmacked mate, if you want to have a run along to me some time, I am sure we can get it sorted, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 21:52   #4
Wheelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
I hate garages working on my cars for this reason.

Is the cross member just like the terrano cross member, not actually structural other than holding rads? If it is it shouldn’t be too difficult as it can be bolt together rather than welded.
Not structural I believe but it could have been changed when the rad was out and cooler piework was going in, ok it would have cost me a bit more but not as much as I could be now
Old 20-08-2018, 21:53   #5
Wheelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
Gobsmacked mate, if you want to have a run along to me some time, I am sure we can get it sorted, Rick
Thanks rick
Old 20-08-2018, 21:56   #6
Davey Boy

Vehicle: Patrol ZD30 SVE

That's a great offer Rick.

Neil, is it the lower rail?
Mine is corroded also, but to replace it with a new Nissan one means a lot of work, as the thing comes as a complete welded frame that surrounds the radiators, the corroded rail is the lower part of this frame.
I was considering cutting and welding some angle iron over this rail only to strengthen and tidy at the same time.
I've lashed it with rust converter recently to at least stop the rot to some degree.
D
Davey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 22:01   #7
Wheelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
That's a great offer Rick.

Neil, is it the lower rail?
Mine is corroded also, but to replace it with a new Nissan one means a lot of work, as the thing comes as a complete welded frame that surrounds the radiators, the corroded rail is the lower part of this frame.
I was considering cutting and welding some angle iron over this rail only to strengthen and tidy at the same time.
I've lashed it with rust converter recently to at least stop the rot to some degree.
D
Yes Dave it’s the lower rail, it looked bolt in but difficult to tell with half of missing. It’s going to have to be done because it will annoy me knowing it’s half gone
Old 20-08-2018, 22:04   #8
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

I'm just glad that you're not a big fella or I'd be genuinely worried for the garage staff.
Nothing boils my wee wee more than this sort of thing and what an offer from Rick.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 23:27   #9
Barrbeast

Vehicle: 1990 4.2 SWB Safari

It's the Patrol factory rust, very common unfortunately

Cut out the rot and weld new metal in is the way to go.
Barrbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 14:07   #10
Wheelie

I have an update on rust gate.
The garage have quoted me for the bottom cross member 3 uprights and the top cross member, they have said they will supply the Labour (7hrs) free of charge to strip down remove the 2 cross members and uprights and fit the new items then rebuild it. Which I thought was very good of them. They obviously value my custom and to be honest having used them for 20 plus years this is really the only hiccup in all that time.
The down side is that because the bottom cross member is completely gone and the radiator is swinging in the breeze at the bottom I probably now won't make Salisbury plain meet. The parts are having to come from Japan and it will be 3 to 4 weeks before there here and that's if we don't hit any snags. I waited 7 weeks for the transmission hoses

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 23-08-2018, 19:42   #11
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

There'll be other meets and sounds like a bit of a result on the welding.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote