Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 30-07-2023, 02:04   #1
solarman216
Off road maniac
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs
Default Solar powered chain saw

I told Zac about this some time ago, but thought I would share it with the rest of you, since I have a wood burner I have needed a decent chain saw but with the price of fuel these days not to mention 2 stroke oil, when I saw a battery powered saw instantly took notice, and as I already have tools using this battery system decided to have a go, well I have to say it is the best tool purchased for a long time, it is excellent so handy and light and cuts a 300mm log with ease, now the best bit, as we have not used the generator for more than 3 months all our power comes from solar including of course the charging of the saw batteries, so it is indeed a Solar Powered Saw, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2023, 11:21   #2
jims-terrano

That sounds like a great bit of kit. I’ve seen battery powered chainsaws on YouTube videos but always thought that they might not be up to the job, obviously you have been able to prove otherwise.
I’ve had battery drills for years but eventually the batteries gave up being nicads. About 8 years ago I bought a Makita and paid extra for a second battery, at the time the bloke behind the counter at Screwfix told me I wouldn’t need it as these are lithium batteries but I got one anyway.
The lithium batteries have been a game changer and over recent years have started replacing or buying extra power tools that use the same batteries. Makes so much sense that manufacturers are now making more and more tools that utilise the same batteries.
My concern is that it makes so much common sense that they are bound to throw a spanner in the works.
We have Solar on the house roof and currently we are exporting back to the grid as well as using our normal domestic devices. I would love to think about a battery and inverter system for the house. I have seen these battery and inverter power bank devices that seem to be coming out of china. It seems that the manufacturers are giving these devices to people with successful YouTube channels in return for publicity. There’s one particular bloke got one of these setups who lives in an outlying area and has the ability to run his whole house from these devices. I think this type of off grid setup is definitely the way to go to beat the costs of these greedy companies that seem to have the monopoly. You’ve been saying this for years Rick and have been reaping the benefits too.

Keep it up Rick
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 00:19   #3
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Storage of electrical power is a very good and viable idea, which of course is what I have and have had for 20 years, but if you want to do something along those lines it will be much more difficult if you want to remain grid tied, the problem is that grid tied = being controlled ie your inverter come storage system will be controlled remotely by someone else, not what you want, plus expect to spend £5000 + for such a system, the real way forward is a stand alone system not connected to the grid, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote