Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 17-10-2019, 23:44   #1
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs up LED lighting upgrade in Garage.

We had 5 double florescent light units in our garage all but one of those being second hand ex-shop fitting items bought from a recycling type shop in Burton on Trent some 18 years ago. They are switched so that normally just one illuminates with an option switch for all five.

They were starterless units with a tube size / wattage no longer manufactured so went for an upgrade. I toyed with fitting LED tubes but as the lamps were downlighters wanted a better spread. I think I paid about £5.00 each for the lights so they owed me nothing.

I initially bought some on the internet - Bright Source 5 ft twin LED units with a whopping 6600 Lumens but they never arrived so took a refund via PayPal after a lack of tracking details etc.

I bought 3 similar LAP units from Screwfix with a 3 year warranty but only 5600 Lumens & a couple of 5 ft units from local lighting shop that push out 4000 Lumens (they were cheaper).

When they are all switched on it feels like an operating theatre with super bright illumination. Downside is they are unlikely to last 18 years - but then neither am I. lol
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 02:40   #2
jims-terrano

Hate to tell you but Rustic bet you too it

When I was in his garage with the Mav I thought it’s a bit dark in here with two energy saving bulbs. Had a look around and soon realised he had loads of LED flood lights dotted around the walls. No need to switch them on as we could see what we needed but I reckon it would of been a similar effect to yours. All this said I’m sure nobody would mind been out done by uncle rustic

Some great light output from LEDs these days, definitely the way to go.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 08:32   #3
macabethiel

Thumbs up A man ahead of his time with LED's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
Hate to tell you but Rustic bet you too it

When I was in his garage with the Mav I thought it’s a bit dark in here with two energy saving bulbs. Had a look around and soon realised he had loads of LED flood lights dotted around the walls. No need to switch them on as we could see what we needed but I reckon it would of been a similar effect to yours. All this said I’m sure nobody would mind been out done by uncle rustic

Some great light output from LEDs these days, definitely the way to go.
Rustics Maverick ownership reminds me of one of the last cars I sold when I worked at an Opel Dealership in B.o.T. It was PFA108 M a Kadette 2 Door Demonstrator (a Special Edition model with Rostyle wheels) with about a thousand miles on the clock.

This customer came to our dealership wanting to buy his "forever car" he was a retired teacher. Although Opels had pretty good bodywork protection he paid to have it Ziebarted. I saw the car quite often in Derby up until around 1985 with the same bloke driving it - it had an off colour front wing but looked pretty sound still.

Currently shown as no MoT so I guess its been scraped - not lasted like Rustics Mav..
Old 18-10-2019, 09:43   #4
jims-terrano

The mav has now got 2 new yuasa batteries fitted and a pair of wiper blades.

Gave it a run round after fitting batteries and now it’s under cover. Started polishing it and hopefully finish that at the weekend. Probably won’t drive it great deal plus I need to rest as I’ve had too much going on including my brother in a hospice.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 13:40   #5
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
We had 5 double florescent light units in our garage all but one of those being second hand ex-shop fitting items bought from a recycling type shop in Burton on Trent some 18 years ago. They are switched so that normally just one illuminates with an option switch for all five.

They were starterless units with a tube size / wattage no longer manufactured so went for an upgrade. I toyed with fitting LED tubes but as the lamps were downlighters wanted a better spread. I think I paid about £5.00 each for the lights so they owed me nothing.

I initially bought some on the internet - Bright Source 5 ft twin LED units with a whopping 6600 Lumens but they never arrived so took a refund via PayPal after a lack of tracking details etc.

I bought 3 similar LAP units from Screwfix with a 3 year warranty but only 5600 Lumens & a couple of 5 ft units from local lighting shop that push out 4000 Lumens (they were cheaper).

When they are all switched on it feels like an operating theatre with super bright illumination. Downside is they are unlikely to last 18 years - but then neither am I. lol
I've literally just done the same job last night on my own garage!!!

I've also boarded it all up, it's great to have another level in the garage, I'm going to need as much space as possible if I'm to continue to strip Terrano's

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 21:51   #6
macabethiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
I've literally just done the same job last night on my own garage!!!

I've also boarded it all up, it's great to have another level in the garage, I'm going to need as much space as possible if I'm to continue to strip Terrano's
I am wondering if its worth painting the garage roof white as the trusses are fully boarded with MDF with loft ladder into roof space to store junk.

Might just give it a lighter look still!
Old 19-10-2019, 13:17   #7
Banshee

This is the Baton that I purchased for the 1st floor

https://www.diy.com/departments/colo...2761167_BQ.prd

It was that good I've gone for 2 of the next size up for the ground floor of the garage as the one starter is becoming very very lazy. 5 year warranty on them as well so the receipts will be going into the house folder

https://www.diy.com/departments/colo...2761181_BQ.prd

Old 19-10-2019, 18:58   #8
macabethiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
This is the Baton that I purchased for the 1st floor

https://www.diy.com/departments/colo...2761167_BQ.prd

It was that good I've gone for 2 of the next size up for the ground floor of the garage as the one starter is becoming very very lazy. 5 year warranty on them as well so the receipts will be going into the house folder

https://www.diy.com/departments/colo...2761181_BQ.prd
They look suspiciously like the LAP ones that Screwfix do similar shape etc. but with a longer warranty.

The LAP ones were really easy & easy to fit - supplied with clips,screws, connectors that popped out at the end etc. Provision for linked end to end connections if you doing a row of them.
Old 19-10-2019, 19:54   #9
Banshee

Ah you live and learn, to be honest, if we are still in that house in 5 years time I'd be surprised and I can't imagine I'd take them with me.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk