Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 16-08-2014, 00:18   #1
AlexD333
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 2.7 TDI
Exclamation Terrano 2" Body Lift Steering Issues - Steering off splines

Whoopsie, came up to mini roundabout went to turn, and carried on straight

Only 5mph though, no damage or anything. I did set it back on but steering us off

Now recovered to work will have a play in the morning. Night y'all.

Any advise on this appreciated.

AlexD333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 00:40   #2
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

Did someone forget to do it back up after the body lift?
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 00:43   #3
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

Or more accurately, forget to undo the other end of the UJ, to allow it to lengthen?
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 01:13   #4
kitchenman

Vehicle: maverick 1994 2.7 TD

Not really your week Alex.
Two good chances to get hurt and you survived
Buy lottery tickets
You may want to talk to the guys who did the lift

Last edited by kitchenman; 16-08-2014 at 01:18. Reason: left a bit out
kitchenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 05:20   #5
R1cho

Vehicle: 1997 LandCruiser Colorado

all par for the course lookin at your pics your injector pumps looks oily
R1cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 05:49   #6
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

Alex, you were very lucky, had you been turning out of a junction, you could have gone head on into oncoming traffic.

During discussions of body lifts, not many people explain about adjusting the steering ?

On my Mav, there doesn't seem that much adjustment left on the upper clamp bolt, and that is standard, without a lift too.

So where does the extra length come from?

Let's reiterate...
You started with a great looking road worthy safe and reliable Terrano, that you would be happy to take your family out in comfort and relative safety.

What have you got now?
A vehicle that weeps for attention after you threw gravel into the air intake,
A car that couldn't pass an MOT
A car that emits fumes into the cab, as the exhaust is too short.
A car with a missing rear ARB, which under certain circumstances can make the vehicle unstable, in say a violent manoeuvre to avoid an obstruction, or in the event of a blow out.
You have bumpers to die for...
The front ARB trying to escape, again making the vehicle extremely unstable, especially now as the centre of gravity is now higher after the lift.
Now you have a vehicle with dangerous steering that could have killed you or innocent road users or pedestrians.

Again you were lucky, had another vehicle been involved, or damage to property, then the police would have been called and the vehicle seized for investigation.

For god's sake, How many wake up calls do you want.
Does someone have to die or be seriously injured before you realise you have a death trap of a vehicle.

To give yourself some peace of mind, take it to a reputable MOT tester, and do what ever is required to make it legally road worthy, then leave it alone, and just drive it, and service and maintain it, as necessary.

If you want to play off road, then buy a scrapper and a trailer, like Rick.
From your own admission, you are not capable of checking the vehicle for faults and doing on going preventative maintenance like the serious off road guys do.
I guess every week they are checking suspension, tyres, wheel bearings, shock absorbers, etc knowing that extreme off roading takes it toll on these parts.

You and You alone are responsible for any one injured whilst you are in control of this vehicle.

If you were my son, and they were my grand children, then I would take this vehicle away and have it crushed.
Harsh I know, but I would give you it's current market value, in it's current state. (scrap value).
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 06:21   #7
AlexD333

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 2.7 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret View Post
Or more accurately, forget to undo the other end of the UJ, to allow it to lengthen?
Well we did slacken it off one side, I do remember it being done back up, I think both sides will need to be slackened and adjusted. All be it A pain that it came undone it was not to be helped.

Yes pump looking oily I shall gave a gander at that

And rustic... Take it easy dude..
AlexD333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 06:39   #8
rustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD333 View Post
Well we did slacken it off one side, I do remember it being done back up, I think both sides will need to be slackened and adjusted...
Hang on... slack or tight, that pinch bolt can not have pulled off that spline, if the bolt in the clamp was still in place... IF FITTED CORRECTLY...

I understand that if the clamp was fitted correctly, then the bolt passes through the recess between the two sets of splines making it impossible for the clamp to pull off with the bolt in place, either loose or tight.

In my opinion, the clamp wasn't pushed on far enough, so the bolt could then be inserted in the right place?

Assembly error.
Old 16-08-2014, 07:27   #9
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustic View Post
Alex, you were very lucky, had you been turning out of a junction, you could have gone head on into oncoming traffic.

During discussions of body lifts, not many people explain about adjusting the steering ?

On my Mav, there doesn't seem that much adjustment left on the upper clamp bolt, and that is standard, without a lift too.

Let's reiterate...
You started with a great looking road worthy safe and reliable Terrano, that you would be happy to take your family out in comfort and relative safety.

What have you got now?
A car with a missing rear ARB, which under certain circumstances can make the vehicle unstable, in say a violent manoeuvre to avoid an obstruction, or in the event of a blow out.
The front ARB trying to escape, again making the vehicle extremely unstable, especially now as the centre of gravity is now higher after the lift.
Now you have a vehicle with dangerous steering that could have killed you or innocent road users or pedestrians.

Again you were lucky, had another vehicle been involved, or damage to property, then the police would have been called and the vehicle seized for investigation.

Does someone have to die or be seriously injured before you realise you have a death trap of a vehicle.

To give yourself some peace of mind, take it to a reputable MOT tester, and do what ever is required to make it legally road worthy, then leave it alone, and just drive it, and service and maintain it, as necessary.

From your own admission, you are not capable of checking the vehicle for faults and doing on going preventative maintenance like the serious off road guys do.
I guess every week they are checking suspension, tyres, wheel bearings, shock absorbers, etc knowing that extreme off roading takes it toll on these parts.

You and You alone are responsible for any one injured whilst you are in control of this vehicle.

If you were my son, and they were my grand children, then I would take this vehicle away and have it crushed.
Harsh I know, but I would give you it's current market value, in it's current state. (scrap value).
Ouch Rustic - you have puled no punches with your comments.

Trouble is you are right of course but it takes a degree of self awareness and reflective thinking for someone to agree, listen and act.
Too often it takes a major accident for it to sink in.
Look at the Mobile Phone statistics one person killed on the UK roads every two weeks by someone texting or using a mobile phone whilst driving thats 25 people dying needlessly by some thoughless selfish drivers.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 08:17   #10
terrano bob

Vehicle: nissan terrano 2 2.7tdi

Quote:

Let's reiterate...

What have you got now?

terrano bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 08:18   #11
terrano bob

Vehicle: nissan terrano 2 2.7tdi

terrano bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 08:30   #12
elty001

Vehicle: 2000se+ 2.7tdi terrano II

the bolt we slackened off is the one on the shaft,not this one.
this bolt sits into a recess on the shaft on the end of the pas box.
in all the posts I have done regarding bodylift I have mentioned this bolt.
you undo the one on the shaft side of the knuckle,which allows the shaft to move out of the knuckle a couple of mm then when the lift is done you tighten it back up.
obviously this pinch bolt wasn't as tight as it should be and the extra bit of load on the shaft has worked it loose.
just been out and checked mine as I did the same thing when I did my bodylift and both pinch bolts are nice and tight.
elty001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 08:33   #13
elty001

Vehicle: 2000se+ 2.7tdi terrano II

Quote:
Hang on... slack or tight, that pinch bolt can not have pulled off that spline, if the bolt in the clamp was still in place... IF FITTED CORRECTLY...

I understand that if the clamp was fitted correctly, then the bolt passes through the recess between the two sets of splines making it impossible for the clamp to pull off with the bolt in place, either loose or tight.

In my opinion, the clamp wasn't pushed on far enough, so the bolt could then be inserted in the right place?

Assembly error.
looks that way and I hold my hands up to not checking the tightness of this bolt correctly.
thankfully no one was hurt and do damage was caused.
elty001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 08:43   #14
rustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
Ouch Rustic - you have puled no punches with your comments.

Trouble is you are right of course but it takes a degree of self awareness and reflective thinking for someone to agree, listen and act.
Too often it takes a major accident for it to sink in...
Like I have said in earlier posts, I treat Alex as if I was his Uncle...( or more the " God Father" lol... ) I do care for him, as he is a similar age (bit older I guess) to my own son, I really don't want him to learn from his mistakes, which it appears is the way he is going.

Old 16-08-2014, 08:46   #15
rustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elty001 View Post
looks that way and I hold my hands up to not checking the tightness of this bolt correctly.
thankfully no one was hurt and do damage was caused.
I don't think the tightness will be the problem if the bolt passes through the gap between the splines, as it then becomes captive.