Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Report Website Problems Here Only!

Report Website Problems Here Only! Please report here any problems you find with the new format site. Please feel free to post any comments you feel may improve the the site.

Old 05-12-2013, 17:32   #1
briggie
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: " alice "
Question " introductions "

how long should we give visitors the opportunity to " introduce themselves " ? ..... as I feel some people are abusing this option to post technical questions on a regular basis , at the detriment of paying members ..... its not fair in my opinion .
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 17:40   #2
Terranical

Vehicle: 1994 Terrano 2.7TD SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggie View Post
how long should we give visitors the opportunity to " introduce themselves " ? ..... as I feel some people are abusing this option to post technical questions on a regular basis , at the detriment of paying members ..... its not fair in my opinion .
Interesting observation, perhaps a max of three posts before being chopped (might be difficult to monitor though!)
Terranical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 17:47   #3
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

It's very hard, the reason I joined was everyone was so friendly, and up for a laugh, but I only knew that by looking around and reading posts and responces

Maybe, they should be allowed to read the posts in just one section, maybe Terrano Mods, and only allowed to post in introductions. Then if they had a question, they could ask, and the members would not post answers, just something like.

Hi, and Welcome, yes, we have seen that a few times, and there are several posts on here on how to fault find that for the members.

Then they would have to join to get the answer, and if they have paid, then hopefully they would then join in.

Something I also like, is how people are not (normally) sticklers for staying on topic... often it is the anecdotes that go along with a question that makes it more fun.
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 18:01   #4
briggie

Vehicle: " alice "

don't get me wrong , im all for helping people and keeping the wonderfull nature of the forum , but I feel some people are abusing the friendly and helpful nature of members , why pay for something when you can get it for free sort of attitude .
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 19:21   #5
dave123

Vehicle: terrano 2 /2.7se tdi

I joined back in june because I had just brought my first t2 and was having a few issue with it and I feel for just £10 you have got so much help and you get to meet good natured people who are nothing but kind and all willing to help . I will stay a member . people need to join and stop trying to get stuff for nothing
dave123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 20:15   #6
clivvy

Vehicle: Terrano 03 LWB

I think to be fair, the site has to prove its worth, and you only find that out by asking questions. I have seen countless members based on that method and I think its fine. A limit, yeah three sounds alright to me because lets face it the membership fee is covered usually with just one question answered and the result being positive!
clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 21:26   #7
exosteve

Vehicle: 2001 2.7 td lwb terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave123 View Post
I joined back in june because I had just brought my first t2 and was having a few issue with it and I feel for just £10 you have got so much help and you get to meet good natured people who are nothing but kind and all willing to help . I will stay a member . people need to join and stop trying to get stuff for nothing
im always trying get summat for nuffin
exosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:56   #8
Bat21
Administrator

Vehicle: Tonka Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggie View Post
how long should we give visitors the opportunity to " introduce themselves " ? ..... as I feel some people are abusing this option to post technical questions on a regular basis....
There will always be people who feel everything on the internet should be free.

In an ideal world those that have been helped by folks here should be showing their support by joining up.... but unfortunately we no longer live in an ideal world.

It would be difficult to monitor how many tech questions each newbie had asked, so the best form of censorship would be for those who so often answer to say "oi, time to join up and we will tell you the answer"
Bat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:06   #9
makeitfit

Vehicle: Maverick TDi BLACK mmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat21 View Post

It would be difficult to monitor how many tech questions each newbie had asked, so the best form of censorship would be for those who so often answer to say "oi, time to join up and we will tell you the answer"
That's the way
I just give very short answers and nag 'em to pay up
makeitfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 13:12   #10
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitfit View Post
That's the way
I just give very short answers and nag 'em to pay up
It only took you to say that once after your very helpful post when I introduced myself and I paid the membership

The answer you provided me was worth £10 alone!!!!!!

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 13:38   #11
firebobby

Vehicle: Terrano 3.0 SVE 2005

A few hello and welcomes and maybe a couple of enquiries are fine, but as a few members already do, we just badger them to join, saying "you get so much more info if you pays your tenner".

Most take the hint, but as Bat says, if they don't want to pay up...stop answering their questions.

At the end of the day, £10 is nothing for the advice you get from our club
firebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 18:26   #12
clivvy

Vehicle: Terrano 03 LWB

I agree. people who get the hump because they are asked to pay for full membership are not worth working with, because they are all take take take, and that's no good. This club works, because everyone here is decent and understands the worth of being helpful. We have to keep this site going, but that costs - that's a fact, and if people cant understand that, if they cant understand that not everything is free, then they can sod off and go to a library. the £10 fee is a bargain, and though I understand times are hard for most, owning a Terrano or Maverick and coming here for help shows you must have the money because these cars cost a hell of a lot more to fix without the help from this club, so those excuses are rubbish!

One point to make though, is that there will be long running members who no longer pay the £10 fee, and I think this is fine. A majority of those guys have proven themselves time and again, so if they cant afford the fee right now, or don't really benefit then that should be fine also.
clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote