Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 02-05-2011, 21:33   #1
R1cho
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 1997 LandCruiser Colorado
Default Static Caravan

I'm thinking of getting one of them static tin tent thingies, not just for the family but also to rent out throughout the year so was just wondering if anyone knew what sort of insurance i would have to have for it? i assume i would need some kind of public liability insurance but being new to this sort of thing am unsure.
R1cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 21:37   #2
extreme-4x4

i dont know much about the whole rent a static thing, but i do know of all the people i know that have them wish they didnt.
none have made it viable.

thats the best i can offer
extreme-4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 21:44   #3
R1cho

as long as it pays for itself to stay on site thats all i care about, not looking at making a proffit, more somewhere i can take the family on holiday without forking out stupid peak season prices
Old 02-05-2011, 21:49   #4
(RIP) PLANK

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

I think Briggie has more experience than most when it comes to static caravan ownership
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 21:51   #5
clivvy

Vehicle: Terrano 03 LWB

yeah , Briggies your man, in fact, he's down at his static now i believe sorting it out for a booking.
clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 21:54   #6
extreme-4x4

thats the trouble they dont make it pay . basicly it works out your funding the site to rent your caravan out the one you just signed up 30 k for . you pay to buy it , maintain it and get to stay in the equivalent of a rental yourself.
all your risk and depreciation
Old 02-05-2011, 21:55   #7
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

I have a static for sale if you are interested, but no site, and I think most sites will only allow vans that they sell, but if you could find a private site it could be worth it, Rick
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 21:57   #8
R1cho

i would do the renting out myself, the site i have found has the option for them to rent it out for you or you rent it out yourself, they give the first years rent and water rates for free aswell and i wont be spending 30k lol
Old 02-05-2011, 22:02   #9
extreme-4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
I have a static for sale if you are interested, but no site, and I think most sites will only allow vans that they sell, but if you could find a private site it could be worth it, Rick
hens teeth.... but they are out there, not cheep but fantastic investment. as your in control. i remember my dad nearly bought a plot on its own cliff top in cornwall.... to this day wishes he did
Old 02-05-2011, 22:07   #10
R1cho

this is the one i've been looking at

Old 02-05-2011, 22:10   #11
extreme-4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1cho View Post
i would do the renting out myself, the site i have found has the option for them to rent it out for you or you rent it out yourself, they give the first years rent and water rates for free aswell and i wont be spending 30k lol
is it local ? cos unless your paying for cleaners someone has to sort it . travelling to sort it will cost you time and fuel minimum.

sorting bookings wont happen over night. the ones i know that do it themselves find it better than the site sorting it , but the workload is hard and costly , bookings are hard to get but the regulars are a bonus.

thinking about it and i know about 20 people with these things the only family that does make it work the wife sorts the caravan and the husband is self employed so holidays can be taken as and when , leaving the van free for peak times .

that is the biggest downfall . everyone wants it when holidays are on , even you. few want it when school is on
Old 02-05-2011, 22:14   #12
solarman216
Off road maniac

letting it out may not be as easy as you think and do not forget in between each letting you have to go and clean it up, so if it is not close by this can become a big problem, and you will be stuck with site fees no matter what and when the day comes to sell it you will be governed by the site and some sites have rules about the max age of a van when it reaches that age you might as well give it away for what it will be worth, not trying to put you off, but just saying look into ALL aspects first, Rick
Old 02-05-2011, 22:18   #13
R1cho

Quote:
letting it out may not be as easy as you think and do not forget in between each letting you have to go and clean it up, so if it is not close by this can become a big problem, and you will be stuck with site fees no matter what and when the day comes to sell it you will be governed by the site and some sites have rules about the max age of a van when it reaches that age you might as well give it away for what it will be worth, not trying to put you off, but just saying look into ALL aspects first, Rick
Already been looking into that, the place i will be siteing it doesn't have a max age on there, as long as the van is well maintained and looks good it can be there, as for cleaning etc its only a 2 hour drive from where i live so any repairs etc can be done by me and cleaning also
Old 02-05-2011, 22:59   #14
solarman216
Off road maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1cho View Post
Already been looking into that, the place i will be siteing it doesn't have a max age on there, as long as the van is well maintained and looks good it can be there, as for cleaning etc its only a 2 hour drive from where i live so any repairs etc can be done by me and cleaning also
OK wish you well, but 2 hour drive = 4 hours + the time on site, say another 4 hours= 8 hour total, if you have a series of weekly lettings?????? Rick
Old 02-05-2011, 23:14   #15
extreme-4x4

Quote:
OK wish you well, but 2 hour drive = 4 hours + the time on site, say another 4 hours= 8 hour total, if you have a series of weekly lettings?????? Rick
miles, how many ? 4 hours sounds like 50 - 60 quid minimum . but yes 8 hours thats a days work in itself and if your not doing it , the person who is wont be doing it to fund someone else's holiday they will want paying . but then why should you do 8 hours work and spend your 60 quid so someone can come and mess up your holiday caravan .

you'd be far better off paying full whack renting someone else's one and put your feet up save your money . or tap briggie up for club discount

another option is a tourer and leave it on a site with storage. they site it for your arrival any time you want to use it . you pay only for what you use , its yours exclusively and if you get bored or want a change find another site