Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 17-06-2016, 00:14   #16
Davey Boy
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Patrol ZD30 SVE

Thanks for making the effort of sharing this with us Rustic!
Davey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 09:46   #17
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Wink Had the Fudge Test on Friday.

Well had the Fudge Test on Friday and firstly it did not hurt and my GP was very good.
It is the strangest sensation as he orbits his finger around the Prostate Gland to feel it's size. He did two circuits and told me my Prostate was enlarged and has ordered a PSI test as the first step. He went on to say the PSI test is not very reliable! I think the Gleason Test is more expensive so they go for cheap first.

Have to wait a week for the test as you can get a false reading as a result of the "Handling of the Gland".

In view of my age 68 he was not overly concerned as it was not lumpy or hard. Was chatting with my neighbour who I go for a pint with on Sundays and he had an enlarged Prostate diagnosed four years ago and it was BPH - funny he never told me before. A bloke thing I suspect.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 12:26   #18
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

well done fella
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 05:30   #19
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

I am so pleased you guys are starting to discuss this with your friendship groups, it does make a difference.
I have had a few PM's thanking me for bringing this to their attention, most of those have been clear and give reassurance, don't let it stay at the back of your mind thinking, it won't happen to me, boy it really does.
I am writing this at this early hour as I have been woken by pains in my chest from 3 am caused by my prostate cancer having metastased to my sternum, I have been measured up and scanned for a zap of radio therapy to that area, that with luck, will cut down on the pain. Just awaiting date.
With my wife going through breast cancer and me and my prostate cancer, our diaries are full of hospital appointments, there are still many to get planned in too. We cannot forward plan, we take each day as it comes.
This is what "Living" with prostate and breast cancer can be like.
It doesn't have to be like this.

When you get to 60, you will be sent the famous "Poo sticks" this is a check for bowel cancer.

Get checked out.... Your Choice.!
Uncle Rustic
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 05:47   #20
rustic

Default The Gleason Test

You can always look this up on the internet, not a pleasant test by far, they take biopsies of the prostate using a long needle, it goes through the anal wall into the prostate, they take up to 6 samples from each half of the prostate, which is a bit like a wall nut, in two halves, and a similar size, the samples are sent off and depending on how much cancer they find, they then have two numbers, one for each side, if all samples are positive, then you have a gleason score of 5+5 so 10 Unfortunately mine was 5+4 =9
Scores of 1+1 =2 are no immediate concern.... yet, but need to be monitored, and possibly treated.
The test is no guarantee, they may sample 12 points and miss all possible cancer sites, that's why they take so many.
There is a risk of infection, you are going through the anal wall after all You are given strong antibiotics prior and after the test, I was ok.

Uncle Rustic
Old 29-06-2016, 21:58   #21
macabethiel

Default The Gleason Test

My Father-in-Law who has prostate cancer had the Gleason Test but when he told me about the biopsy I could not work out how they reach the Prostate via the Anus.

A very helpful explanation thanks. He is 86 and has had treatment for the last 2 and a bit years. GP has re-assured him he will die with it not from it despite it having spread a little into nearby "bits". Bones & Lymph Glands but not into his bladder.
Old 03-07-2016, 22:20   #22
macabethiel

Default My PSA test was normal

Well got my result back and all is OK just old age enlargement.

I am going to seek advice if annual checks up are a good idea,
Old 05-07-2016, 21:41   #23
melissachels

Vehicle: half of a T2 2.7td swb

aww rusti I admire your openness,

blokes are not good at talking about their health or concerns even with professionals.

we had a episode with cancer last year....well my partner did but testicular instead he's 42 and quite old to get this type of cancer its gererally found in blokes between 18-37

anyway he'd had a vesetomy years ago and just thought is was a knot but it was swelling in size and then he started getting a shooting pain through it.

gp were not the best and didn't put him though for a prority scan, got the referal changed after a second opinion and me telling all the symtoms not just some of and explaining the increase in pain and frequency.

scan was given in 2 weeks, wrong diagnose given over the PHONE and not by a medical proffesional!!!!

less than a week later an oncology appointment and 6 days later, a half cesarion to have the offening nut removed.

xrays, ct scans and mri's follow quarterly along with blood tests.

thankfully we're clear.

I give you all the best rustic.....you've managed to shrink them this far....keep it going!!
melissachels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:21   #24
rustic

Thank you for the support Melissa, I am pleased your partner insisted on taking this further.
If caught early, most cancers can be cured.
Our granddaughter is called Melissa, my son and family are in Bahrain, as my son works in Saudi, on a daily commute to work over the Bahrain- Saudi cause way. We don't see as much of them as we like, they were home in May, and we expect to see them at Christmas.
Unfortunately, we are unable to travel abroad due to the excessive travel insurance, more especially as I am on "Trial" medication.

So what is this post about?
When we retired we thought we would use some of our hard earnt cash in travelling abroad, a year and a half ago, my wife had nothing more than an underactive thyroid, and I had a stiff shoulder and occasional gout to declare.

How things change,
Don't put off till tomorrow that you can do today, certainly springs to mind.

We strived to pay off the mortgage, so we would be debt free before we retired, we achieved this. We missed out on a few expensive holidays abroad, yep plenty of time for that later we thought...

So look after your health, have things checked, but note, we talked to a recently qualified doctor, she said the pass rate to being qualified is 40 % yes forty...
Does that mean they get things wrong 60% of the time? Think about that at your next meeting with the doctor when he/she says there is nothing wrong.
I, over the years have had three separate doctors review my symptoms, three opportunities to check for prostate cancer.
Do I have a bitter taste about GP's? I rest my case.

Uncle Rustic
Old 06-07-2016, 12:55   #25
keefbeef

Vehicle: 2003 Terrano 2.7

Not a tread you would expect to read in a 4x4 macho forum, but nevertheless a very important topic - Men's health.

I myself had a lump on my ball 8 years ago, and it was checked out. Nothing there was what the doctor said. Still there and I'm here - so all good! Recently had pain peeing, again had tests carried out to check for infection and even got the camera down the pee hole. Nothing found. Also got referred to the 'flow clinic' where you pee into a funnel, weird. They didn't think prostate was an issue as didn't have any of the other issues, such as blood, night visits to doctors or poor flow.

In this country we have a great national health service - use it!! I sometimes worry about my health since turning 40, but not scared to go to the GP. That's what they are there for, but in both my cases I was referred to the 'man in the know'. I think that's sometimes the problem is people take GPs word for it. A good GP will refer you to the experts.

Rustic, what can it say... tough story and good on you for posting! We have a saying where I come from - 'keep her lit!!' and I really really do wish you all the best!

You know I have stopped watching DIY SOS cause of stories like this... just can't get away from them!
keefbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 21:57   #26
Sweety

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDI SE LWB

Not been on for a while so got some catching up to do but sorry to read this Rustic as I never knew you were suffering from the condition but credit to you for talking about it as cancers us males can suffer isn't really talked about, I had an op a few years ago & they put a catheter in oh god worst i'very experiencedo legs went to jelly every time I went for a pee due to the pain. My Grandad (mothers dad) had the condition & i'm sure he had an op years ago for it sadly it didn't work fully but he still made it to the grand old age of 92 & it wasn't the cancer that got him my dad was diagnosed with it around 14 years ago luckily it was in the early stages & was treated with radiotherapy & hormones which sorted it out & he got the all clear but after that he arranged to go to hospital twice a year to have his bloods checked & there has been no sign of it returning. At 40 know in a few years will have to go & get myself checked out due to a family history of it on both sides.
Sweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 05:48   #27
rustic

Well it has been a few months since I last posted on this thread, I guess that's because the hormone treatment has been working well, and my PSA value has remained stable for many months, but around 8 weeks ago it started to rise, so the oncologist brought forward the next PSA blood test, horror, my PSA has doubled in 6 weeks. To me that implies that the hormone treatment has slowed down. The oncologist said "don't panic Mr Mainwaring" he organised another neuclearonic scan, which I had last week, and another ct scan for this Friday, to see what is going on and where.
I must admit I have more regular pain now, the cocodamol is working for now, I don't want to go back on the Morphine that I was on just over a year ago just before the hormone treatment started to work.
We have a meeting with the oncologist on 12th December, after yet another PSA test, and I will get the prognosis then. What has been suggested as the next course of action is chemotherapy, should the cancer be growing too fast in other places around my body.
As you can imagine I am an emotional and physical wreck, I am fatigued now, the treatment leaves me tired and if I continue light jobs after 4pm, I suffer that night. The side effects of Chemo are much worse again. As we don't know if this is needed, I guess I should worry about that if the time comes.
I am encouraging my wife to join local groups, she is more a people person, where as I would be quite happy pottering in my garage. Recently we moved our boat from Norfolk to the Thames at Oxford, so as we visit our daughter and grandson weekly in Oxford, it means I can visit the boat weekly too. So I have been very busy doing boat joinery and planning jobs. My wife says she has seen a different person in me, I have hope, something to look forward too, I am convinced that having a positive attitude can really help in this situation.
No doubt I will add to this thread next month.
So again guys, if you suspect that you might be at risk from prostate cancer, get yourself checked out. You really don't want to be walking my path.

Uncle Rustic
Old 27-11-2016, 10:46   #28
jims-terrano

Hi Uncle, fingers crossed for the 12th mate.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 12:47   #29
Blocky10

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 3.0 SVE Auto

Fingers crossed they can nail the b'stard down Rustic.
Blocky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 13:20   #30
rustic

Thanks for your support guys, some days we cope better than others, but this morning we were walking to church, to take communion, and I realised I hadn't clipped my leg bag on, luckily a friend happened to stop and ask if we wanted a lift, that I accepted gracefully. Luckily I don't suffer from incontenence, but more a matter of urgency, which my leg bag allows me to have a life outside the home.
A lift home and a comfort visit in church and I kept my dignity.
For those interested I have an external catheter, a convene, that rolls over like a condom, with a pipe that connects to the leg bag, easy to fit and use, but yet another thing to do morning and night. If I am out and about, there is a tap at shoe level, when it looks like I am tying my shoe laces on some wet grass... The grass just gets wetter lol This has really helped.
Believe it or not, this system was not even mentioned by my oncologist, but having sourced it, I do have it on free prescriptions.
So why am I telling you?
You might know someone in my position, they might not be aware that such things exist, but I can go about my daily business without anyone knowing what my problem is. I have even got smaller upper thigh bags, that I could wear shorts, or even go swimming and still have protection, very very discreet, but single use.

Well there you go, too much information for some, but I won't apologise for that lol.
Uncle Rustic.