Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 06-10-2007, 21:29   #1

Default Veg Oil

This topic was split from another as it was way off topic, now should be easier to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano
Nice one, sounds better than Meadowhell :

Jim T
Was in Meadowhell for about 20 mins or so, long enough for Lucy to grab what she wanted, and I called into Aldi as I was told they are selling bio diesel, sorry I mean chip fat for 56p a litre. Some strange looks when all I bought was 20 single litre bottles. Would have been a lot stranger if they'd seen me pour it into the tank :roll: :
Old 07-10-2007, 08:52   #2
bigjim
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano
Nice one, sounds better than Meadowhell :

Jim T
Was in Meadowhell for about 20 mins or so, long enough for Lucy to grab what she wanted, and I called into Aldi as I was told they are selling bio diesel, sorry I mean chip fat for 56p a litre. Some strange looks when all I bought was 20 single litre bottles. Would have been a lot stranger if they'd seen me pour it into the tank :roll: :
I called into Aldi as I was told they are selling bio diesel, sorry I mean chip fat for 56p a litre (Quote) must try this some time may need some advice, :arrow: found a BP garage in Milton keynes selling standard deisel for 95p per ltr
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim

I must try this some time may need some advice, :arrow:
Read this thread, http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.co.uk...ewtopic&t=5341 and follow the links in it.

I have also been informed it(veg oil) can be used at 50/50 although to start with I'm using it a bit less. Some are using it at 90% or more, but I believe this can lead to problems cold starting in winter. I'll be filling the tank today from about a 1/4 and will add 10 litres to see how I get on. I dropped in 3 litres the other day on about 3/4 tank with no noticeable differance, I'm now to down to 1/4 tank so will suck it and see.
Old 07-10-2007, 16:29   #4
bigjim

Is that any cooking oil? or vegie oil? or dont it matter much? as long as you can fry with it???? can you fri chips in diesel???? : :
Old 07-10-2007, 18:01   #5
jace

might taste bit funny lol
Old 07-10-2007, 18:32   #6
Terranosaurus

Vehicle: 2001 2.7 TDi T2 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim
Is that any cooking oil? or vegie oil? or dont it matter much?
Rapeseed oil is better than, sunflower which is batter than Soya il. It's down to viscosity (thickness). I'm running my van on it now, cuts my weekly fuel bill by 1/3 to 1/2 which can't be bad. The vans a Y reg Renault Master 2.8 TDi, performance is the same MPG is th same as best I can tell, smells different but no worse and I only use about 50L a week so can get away with the 2500 limit a year, have all my old receipts for fossil diesel and am keeping all my veg oil receipts. I use rapeseed, which is usually what you get if you buy vegetable oil, but read the label to check.
Terranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 19:05   #7

The cheaper the better as the cheap stuff is normally thinner, I paid 56p for each litre at Aldi and its thin enough to use neat. I filled tank today with 10 litres of veg oil and £45 of ordinary diesel. No noticable differance in any running, just smelld like a chip shop. Been out in it and done some lanes again today, so engine had to work hard, 4 adults and 2 kids in vehicle too. Next time I fill up I'll use more veg oil and keep increasing the amounts gradually to see how I go. Its early days for me with this yet, so its all experimenting and listening to others.
Old 07-10-2007, 19:08   #8
Terranosaurus

I'm on nigh on 100% (just the bit of fossil fuel thats still in there) in the Renault, which engine you got in the Disco Andy.
Old 07-10-2007, 19:10   #9

Its a 200Tdi, with about 111000 on the clock
Old 07-10-2007, 19:19   #10
KillerPete

Camarman,

Keep the updates coming on the vaggie oil run, am very interested in do it myself. But want to make sure nothing is going to go bang before I try it. Need motor for day to day running.

Cheers

Pete.
KillerPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 21:02   #11
jace

from what ive read youll need to change fuel filter as veg oil stips varnish that builds up from normal road derv
Old 07-10-2007, 21:05   #12
Terranosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jace
from what ive read youll need to change fuel filter as veg oil stips varnish that builds up from normal road derv
Thats recycled used oil/bio-diesil as far as I can work out, rather than SVO - straight vegetable oil.
Old 07-10-2007, 21:10   #13

I know a chap who has been using it for 12 months with no filter changes and no ill effects. All this sort of info is why I decided to start trying it.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:59   #14
bigjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird
I'm on nigh on 100% (just the bit of fossil fuel thats still in there) in the Renault, which engine you got in the Disco Andy.
Humming bird i also have a Renault trafic camper van you recon this will run veggie oil its a 2.1d 1988 F reg?????? :
Old 08-10-2007, 09:04   #15
bigjim

Does anyone use the free oil from the chip shops???? i know it has to be filtered and the only bad thing i have heared about it is seperating the animal fats from the cooking oil? but a filtering machine can't be hard to manufacture???? can It???? :idea: