Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 06-05-2010, 18:04   #31
clivvy
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano 03 LWB

s'not good if the flywheels gone...
clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 18:06   #32
briggie

Vehicle: " alice "

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivvy View Post
do we arrange a funeral for sally ?
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 18:36   #33
briggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivvy View Post
do i cancel my insurance ?
Old 06-05-2010, 18:40   #34
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

We got another engine to go in remember, but depends how bad we beat her up at small fields on Sunday, she should go well with the 3 litre ford engine in, Rick
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 18:46   #35
lacroupade

Just intrigued as of course theres no pure mechanical connection between auto gearbox and flywheel, its a viscous coupling* (thats what the torque convertor does), so not clear what sort of force would have caused such a problem.....I won't blame the garage that dropped the box in but it is most likely to be that or the original 'explosion' at the root of it....

BUT, its pleasing to see that we were right about this engine NOT falling apart - it would have been the first mechanically knackered 2.7 diesel engine this site has seen in the 5-6 years I've been popping in and out.....

* thats why you can leave an auto in gear at the lights without doing anything; theres no clutch or mechanical linkage to break or wear out unlike a manual clutch.
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 18:47   #36
briggie

"TWOC is an acronym standing for Taking Without Owner's Consent. Synonyms used by police in the UK include UTMV: Unauthorised Taking of a Motor Vehicle, and TADA or TDA: Taken and Driven Away. TWOC derives from the wording of S12 Theft Act 1968 and it has become the term used by the police in England and Wales to describe any unauthorised use of a car or other conveyance that is not actual theft. Since the taking need not involve an intention to permanently deprive the owner of the car, it is easier to prove than theft (this having an element of with the intention to permanently deprive the owner of their goods). The term came to prominence with a sharp rise in car crime in the early-1990s.

Old 06-05-2010, 18:50   #37
briggie

joking apart , is it fairly common for this flywheel to go ?
Old 06-05-2010, 18:58   #38
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggie View Post
joking apart , is it fairly common for this flywheel to go ?
Like a mechanical engine failure on these, its unheard of Briggie......seriously.

I know I harp on about it but you don't get 300k-400k-500k miles in a London taxi from a junk engine......these engines have been run in that scenario for so long (and we are talking pre-Mistral/Maverick/Terrano remember) with shitloads of stop/start etc.. but are STILL going, to the extent that its now possible to have your 2.7 Nissan taxi engine converted from compression to spark ignition, i.e. into a petrol engine....it costs circa £5k but apparently meets emissions requirements in London that the diesel can't.

Do you start to see just how reliable the engine is and why we kept saying "couldn't be a big end"...?
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 18:59   #39
briggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroupade View Post
Like a mechanical engine failure on these, its unheard of Briggie......seriously.

I know I harp on about it but you don't get 300k-400k-500k miles in a London taxi from a junk engine......these engines have been run in that scenario for so long (and we are talking pre-Mistral/Maverick/Terrano remember) with shitloads of stop/start etc.. but are STILL going, to the extent that its now possible to have your 2.7 Nissan taxi engine converted from compression to spark ignition, i.e. into a petrol engine....it costs circa £5k but apparently meets emissions requirements in London that the diesel can't.

Do you start to see just how reliable the engine is and why we kept saying "couldn't be a big end"...?
well something bad has happened
Old 06-05-2010, 19:02   #40
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

when they did the gear box??
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 19:10   #41
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Not a normal thing, I would put my money on flywheel bolts failing/coming loose, if the crank had broke it would have to be a very straight break for the rest of the engine not to try and turn, but as it is the starter spins the flywheel without effort and it keeps spinning after starter stops, I might mention that we started it up at Pauls, for him to listen to and we have started it three times since being in the yard, and the third time it was idling and simply stopped, I thought it may have seized but no I could turn it with a spanner on the PS pump pulley, I then tried the starter and got the result we have now, so if Briggie had tried to use it, he probably would not have got more than a mile from the garage, however will know more when we pull the engine out, but cannot get it in the workshop at the moment, always the way, you can never have something just when you want it, perhaps we won't race it a Smallfields after all, in spite of the lovely paint job, Rick
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 19:14   #42
briggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
Not a normal thing, I would put my money on flywheel bolts failing/coming loose, if the crank had broke it would have to be a very straight break for the rest of the engine not to try and turn, but as it is the starter spins the flywheel without effort and it keeps spinning after starter stops, I might mention that we started it up at Pauls, for him to listen to and we have started it three times since being in the yard, and the third time it was idling and simply stopped, I thought it may have seized but no I could turn it with a spanner on the PS pump pulley, I then tried the starter and got the result we have now, so if Briggie had tried to use it, he probably would not have got more than a mile from the garage, however will know more when we pull the engine out, but cannot get it in the workshop at the moment, always the way, you can never have something just when you want it, perhaps we won't race it a Smallfields after all, in spite of the lovely paint job, Rick
so will the new engine have a flywheel and will it cure the problem rick ? ..... ps nowt wrong with my old paint job lol
Old 06-05-2010, 20:28   #43
Bat21
Administrator

Vehicle: Tonka Toy

My take on this.

Bolted to the crank is the torque converter drive plate which is a relatively thin disc of metal.

Bolted to the drive plate is the torque converter/flywheel (it is the same thing).

When Rick started Pete's motor at my house the noise sounded like a metal plate banging/resonating on overrun.

My theory is (and was on Tuesday) that the torque converter drive plate is cracked/damaged in some way.

Going by what Rick is now saying I still stick to this theory.

I am quite surprised that the guys at the garage where Pete's truck was last week didn't arrive at this conclusion.
Bat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 20:32   #44
briggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat21 View Post
My take on this.

Bolted to the crank is the torque converter drive plate which is a relatively thin disc of metal.

Bolted to the drive plate is the torque converter/flywheel (it is the same thing).

When Rick started Pete's motor at my house the noise sounded like a metal plate banging/resonating on overrun.

My theory is (and was on Tuesday) that the torque converter drive plate is cracked/damaged in some way.

I am quite surprised that the guys at the garage where Pete's truck was last week didn't arrive at this conclusion.
thanks paul mate , im gutted .... if it wasnt for bad luck id have no luck at all ... can this be fixed viably with the bits we allready have ? ..... or do i arrange sallys funeral ?
Old 06-05-2010, 20:41   #45
briggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat21 View Post
My take on this.

next question ..... at what point do we say " fuff it " and break it for spares ? ....or can it be fixed viably ?