Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 25-06-2011, 19:26   #1
4wheel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano 11 2.7Tdi SWB
Default Towing Speed

This morning we went up to the Strawberries and Steam Fair near Swindon -lovely day with plenty to see.However,on the way up the M4 there was a goodly breeze blowing and we passed a car and caravan doing about 65mph.Now I said to the good lady that I thought (comments please !)that he was travelling too fast with a caravan in tow.
Low and behold on the way back on the M4 this evening there was a caravan upside down on the centre reservation,all mangled and bent,no sign of the car.Not the same combo as it had just happened but what is the consensus of a safe towing speed ??
4wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 19:43   #2
geoffdown

Vehicle: terrano 2.7tdi SE+ (X)reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheel View Post
This morning we went up to the Strawberries and Steam Fair near Swindon -lovely day with plenty to see.However,on the way up the M4 there was a goodly breeze blowing and we passed a car and caravan doing about 65mph.Now I said to the good lady that I thought (comments please !)that he was travelling too fast with a caravan in tow.
Low and behold on the way back on the M4 this evening there was a caravan upside down on the centre reservation,all mangled and bent,no sign of the car.Not the same combo as it had just happened but what is the consensus of a safe towing speed ??
law is 60mph on duel and mways 50 single carrageways i tow between 50mph tol 60 but only 60 if the weather is good i.e no wind or rain
geoffdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 20:05   #3
clivvy

Vehicle: Terrano 03 LWB

I agree with the above, there is alimit for caravans for a very good reason. Once, I saw a Zafira ZXR towing a caravan down in wales, over took me in my MX6 at about 70 mph...over took!! idiot.
clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 20:26   #4
geoffdown

Vehicle: terrano 2.7tdi SE+ (X)reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivvy View Post
I agree with the above, there is alimit for caravans for a very good reason. Once, I saw a Zafira ZXR towing a caravan down in wales, over took me in my MX6 at about 70 mph...over took!! idiot.
but the idiots dont no its law for towing anything i see them towing car trailers past me when i am doing just over 70mph
geoffdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 22:18   #5
clivvy

Vehicle: Terrano 03 LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffdown View Post
but the idiots dont no its law for towing anything i see them towing car trailers past me when i am doing just over 70mph
yeah, its very scary.
clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 22:39   #6
(RIP) PLANK

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivvy View Post
yeah, its very scary.
don't forget it's not just speed it's about not overtaking! No using the "fast lane" on the motorway. Most of the caravan accidents i have seen (and near misses) have been going to fast!
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 23:15   #7
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANK View Post
don't forget it's not just speed it's about not overtaking! No using the "fast lane" on the motorway. Most of the caravan accidents i have seen (and near misses) have been going to fast!
No such thing as a fast lane, it is the third lane or overtaking lane, just a little point, Rick
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 23:20   #8
(RIP) PLANK

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
No such thing as a fast lane, it is the third lane or overtaking lane, just a little point, Rick
note the " " around the term
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 00:08   #9
solarman216
Off road maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANK View Post
note the " " around the term
OK, Rick
Old 26-06-2011, 00:18   #10
4wheel

Vehicle: Terrano 11 2.7Tdi SWB

Interesting,thanks.I have towed everything from a small trailer to a 25ft cabin cruiser which had a mind of it's own.Always sat at about 50mph just too be safe.Funny thing is one of the better towing vehicles was a 2.1i water cooled VW Combi.I think it's brick shape pushed all the air out of the way and made towing easier.Had a lot of torque in 3rd as well so not too bad on the hills,much better on the downhills though
4wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 01:42   #11
solarman216
Off road maniac

OK some interesting points here, a caravan yea right no way would I be pulling one at 70 plus unless there was no wind at all and even then I would be careful, but car trailer with car on it, low side wind resistance no problem at very high speeds if the whole outfit is balanced right, the only time I have had any sign of a problem is when encountering rutting in the nearside lane and that disappears under 70, Rick
Old 26-06-2011, 02:28   #12
Deleted account DD

loading, tow vehicle type, trailer to vehicle match and driver ability affect the way a caravan outfit makes safe progress more than anything else.

Some people are more dangerous at a walking pace than others at 60mph plus.

The weather is contributory but if i had been given a beer for every time it is used as an excuse for incompetence id be permanently pissed.

Switched off drivers are switched off drivers towing or not.

Be honest how many of you who tow are REALLY aware of whats going on around you?

How far ahead or behind you do you KNOW whats going on? if you ask most drivers cant tell you beyond the 3rd or 4th car. Thats appalling if youre considering towing on the speed limits with all of its associated maneuvers.

Other "fieldcraft"............... going down the M1 for example the trees at the side grow bent over because of the wind, how many of you look ahead at them to see if the ones further on are moving more than the ones youre going past at that point ie an increase or direction change in wind?

Do you look at your sat nav or route plan and actually think "ahh yes, flyover or bridge........windy maybe?"

How many actually know or check nose weight? too much or too little can be fatal. A reasonable gauge is under a tenner.

Do you understand about the bow wave from your vehicle as well as the ones youre passing and the effects of them?

Have you ever even thought of the different effects of that bow wave between single carriageway (ie oncoming) with the increased closing speeds vs dual carriageway (ie more overtaking or being overtaken)

How many of you stash the awning under the fixed bed at the back? tins and heavy packets in high cupboards. Do you know where your c of g is or even what it is?

Thats only a few of the points that Ive come across talking to hapless individuals (failed safe tow drivers) who funnily enough werent to blame (or so they tell me) across the board both general, vehicle and caravan towing.

None of us are perfect, I certainly arent but Its having knowledge of and switching onto points like that that make the difference between as safe a tow as poss and someone who gets by and relies on fingers crossed.
Deleted account DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 06:42   #13
pgrem

Vehicle: mistral

hi,here in nz the speed for all vehicles towing is 90km.vehicles not towing is 100km,cheers pete
pgrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 19:55   #14
73anth

Vehicle: 2.7tdi Lwb terrano

i bought my lwb terrano with the intention of towing a decent sized caravan, just bought a twin axle van (advised to for more stable towing) about 26foot total length.
whilst towing it home, i went up to 70mph, and it was straight as a die, no shakes or anything, but as someone else posted above, this is before all the extras are added on, and the family are in the car!
i think it will always be a learning curve, as the weather changes ect.
73anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 20:25   #15
bazza

Vehicle: terrrano 3.0 di

well i tow at 70 mph all the time on a m/way ,, have dunn for 20 years ,, guess iv been lucky over the years never a wobble ,, but think its how you load your caravan ,, but lets face it some caravans are put on the back of some cars are just over weight for the car from the word go ,, why the police dont drag them over for is another question ,, been a HGV driver well ex one ,, if i was over my axle weight on a lorry your dunn for it full stop ,, so why are cars with a over weight caravan aloud to plod on down the m/way for
bazza is offline   Reply With Quote