Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Testimonials

Testimonials Here you can read what members have to say about the full membership.

Old 07-10-2015, 13:41   #1
Dave_Askham
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 05 Terrano 2.7 LWB
Default Hi Folks.

I just wanted to pop a message on here to say hello to all.

I've just found this forum, read it for 10 mins decided you looked like a great bunch and were worth every penny of a crisp 10 note. So I'm a fully paid up member of the Nissan 4x4 club - even though I own and run a Nissan Note !!

I'm just doing some digging about trying to find the 'low down' on Nissan Terrano 2's - as I have provisionally agreed to swap my car for one so her indoors can tow a horse trailer...... I know, I'm a soft touch....

Any advice on model, engine size etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dave_Askham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 13:49   #2
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

Welcome, normally there'd be a request for photos but I see you haven't got the Terrano yet.
Basically the Terrano comes in two flavours the 3.0l and 2.7 tdi. I have a 2.7 for numerous reasons. I like the fact that it doesn't have a timing belt or chain, it's gear driven, secondly it's the same engine as used in London taxis so should be reliable and thirdly I can bung cooking oil in it to run it.
I think the 3.0l have a bit more power and delivery of power is a bit more refined.

There's probably more to it than that, but that's how I arrived at owning a 2.7l and love it.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 13:55   #3
Dave_Askham

Thanks for your swift reply and warm welcome,

I've been debating the choice of 2.7 / 3.0 in the first instance, followed swiftly between the SWB or LWB conundrum. I was not aware the 2.7 was gear driven, that is a bonus.

I also can't make my mind up on the Auto / Manual gearbox, my Mrs has an Audi A3 TDi auto and my Nissan Note is Auto (inherited from my late Grandad) - both of which are a pleasure to drive, but I know Auto boxes can be a real headache. Could you or anyone else offer advice on +'s and -'s of an Auto??
Old 07-10-2015, 13:59   #4
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

Hi Dave, and welcome to the best site for Terranos, and Mavericks (also Patrols).
We know more about these trucks than all the Nissan dealers put together.
I have the Ford Maverick, Nissan Terrano in disguise, and.... here we go again. I have had this since new for over 20 years ... Why? ..
Because if it ain't broke don't fix it, but I have done a lot of preventative maintenace on it, including waxoyling etc.
We have many cheap fixes, and guides on fixing it, also what to look for, so now you are a member, take a look at us.
We are a friendly bunch... too friendly at times as we talk about our selves a lot, and our other hobbies.
We have several members who no longer have Terranos, but like the fellowship.
Again Welcome.

Rustic
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 14:21   #5
don simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Askham View Post
Thanks for your swift reply and warm welcome,

I've been debating the choice of 2.7 / 3.0 in the first instance, followed swiftly between the SWB or LWB conundrum. I was not aware the 2.7 was gear driven, that is a bonus.

I also can't make my mind up on the Auto / Manual gearbox, my Mrs has an Audi A3 TDi auto and my Nissan Note is Auto (inherited from my late Grandad) - both of which are a pleasure to drive, but I know Auto boxes can be a real headache. Could you or anyone else offer advice on +'s and -'s of an Auto??
LWB or SWB? I think you'll be better off with an LWB as a tow car as it's longer, personally I prefer the LWB as I sleep in it from time to time.

Manual and Auto each have their fans, in fact there's a whole thread here that will answer your question...... or not
http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/f...ight=automatic
Old 07-10-2015, 14:25   #6
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by don simon View Post
Welcome, normally there'd be a request for photos but I see you haven't got the Terrano yet.
Basically the Terrano comes in two flavours the 3.0l and 2.7 tdi. I have a 2.7 for numerous reasons. I like the fact that it doesn't have a timing belt or chain, it's gear driven, secondly it's the same engine as used in London taxis so should be reliable and thirdly I can bung cooking oil in it to run it.
I think the 3.0l have a bit more power and delivery of power is a bit more refined.

There's probably more to it than that, but that's how I arrived at owning a 2.7l and love it.
Make that "3 flavours", don't forget the poor unloved 2.4 petrol ones as well!!!

Main advice from me is, if you are towing bigger things like Nags in boxes, then don't go for the auto gearbox, it has a lower towing capacity, and seems to not enjoy towing. I know of 2 people in Kent who have left the joy of Nissan ownership after buying (ab)used Autos, and killing them towing.
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 14:33   #7
don simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret View Post
Make that "3 flavours", don't forget the poor unloved 2.4 petrol ones as well!!!

Main advice from me is, if you are towing bigger things like Nags in boxes, then don't go for the auto gearbox, it has a lower towing capacity, and seems to not enjoy towing. I know of 2 people in Kent who have left the joy of Nissan ownership after buying (ab)used Autos, and killing them towing.
Isn't there a very good reason that they're unloved? But yes, you're 100% correct, I forgot about the high fuel consuming lower towing ability 2.4 petrol.
Old 07-10-2015, 14:44   #8
Dave_Askham

Boom - and the replies come rolling in !!!!

I like rustic's comment that the site members know more than the 'main dealers' - or should that be 'main stealers' put together - I have no doubt that this is 100% accurate !!

I've also got a VW transporter T4 - 2000 model, owned from new - 187,000 miles and still going strong, so I know all about owning and loving a vehicle for the long term, She's like an old friend and I could never part with her !!! I'm buying a Terrano to save abusing the van towing the bloody horse trailer !!!!

I've just read the Auto / Manual thread and I think my mind is made up, it would be nice to continue to have a lazy auto, but the towing capacity is not sufficient for the trailer, Dobin and Dobin #2 - so Manual it is, I like the sound of a LWB too, I'm used to the van so not scared of a 'larger' vehicle.... and I have 2 kids, my daughter nearly 3 and my son 6 months, so the more space the better !!

It appears that my choices are narrowing quite quickly !!

thanks to all for your input thus far.... now to have a look about and see what's available and at what price.....
Old 07-10-2015, 15:00   #9
bry

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano MK 2 SE

Howdy,Which ever model you choose.Just take time to check all the places where the tin worm likes to feast.Sills,boot floor,rear seat belt anchor points,front x member under the radiator, to mention a few.
bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 15:17   #10
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret View Post

There's none left, Rick's got them all parked in his yard

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 16:20   #11
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

One of the nice things about the LWB T2, is it does not feel like a large car to drive, I have to ration the wife driving mine, as once she gets her mits on it, I struggle to get it back...

Being short, she has the seat right forward, where as I have it right back, then because the electric mirrors are so easy to adjust, she changes them. After she has driven it, she leaves the seat right forward, so I struggle to get in, and end up, because of the lifts, stuck half in and half out, trying to slide the seat back. This then becomes the excuse of "Well as it's all set up for me, I might as well drive this time!!" Even off roading the other weekend, she acts all, "Oh I am so nervous of this or that bit of mud", then once in the driving seat is ploughing through the tank traps causing mini tsunami's.

So in short, don't have any fears of the LWB, they drive just like a car, even when lifted..
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 16:29   #12
jims-terrano

Had my oldest lwb since 2002 and it's still going strong. Towed alsorts and carried alsorts inside and on it, it's been a proper work horse. As said watch for the tin worm, take a look at my project thread in my signature to prove the tin worm is there but with a little work it can be banished. Manual for towing heavier loads for sure but I can't wait to get behind the wheel of my auto. 2.7 is pretty bullet proof but not heard anything particularly bad about the 3.0 either.

Check out the downloads in quick links for some cheap fixes too.

Good luck with the search.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 16:50   #13
Dave_Askham

So here I am bored at work scouting around on the internet.... and I have come across this.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2817861117...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks pretty good to me from the outside....
Old 07-10-2015, 17:09   #14
Paultrol

Vehicle: Patrol

Morning and welcome.
Stick your finger in the air to em all and go for a TROL you won't be disappointed.
TROL POWER.
Paultrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 17:19   #15
Dave_Askham

I assume by TROL you mean Patrol??? - I've not really considered one tbh.... but from first view they look like they are twice the price !!

what would be the advantage of a patrol over the terrano's??