Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 03-07-2016, 18:51   #16
don simon
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranosaurusdoug View Post
The few spoil it for the many, same old story innit. I've seen traffic passing really close to cyclists on purpose, I don't get that, if something happened and cyclist goes under car or whatever then more than likely game over, a family or two destroyed cos someones ego was driving, not worth it!

I don't understand the choice of bikes for most though, the tyres and rims are ridiculous
I have been the victim on many occasions of car drivers exhibiting road rage towards the cyclist. The most memorable was the scaffold truck that deliberately tried to run me off the road. It was deliberate because the passenger was laughing and giving me the bird.
Drivers think they can get away with it because there is little chance of getting caught and even if they are caught the courts hand down quite pathetic sentences.

I was told by one driver who passed me with inches to spare that he had to pass me at that particular point... Had to??? What a ridiculous thing to say.

We all have a right to be on the road, it is a shared space. If anything bikes have a right and cars don't. Cyclists don't need permission and a licence issuing from DVLA.
We all make the same contribution to the upkeep of the roads, so share them.
I suggest that anyone who criticises cyclists spend one day on a bike, I bet they haven't got the balls.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 19:00   #17
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

Cyclists ! You want to be a pedestrian in towns like Oxford or Cambridge.
Get a "green man" to walk at a pedestrian crossing and you will more than often be cut up by a cyclist having crossed a red light.
Most people expect it too.
Best to carry an umbrella, so they can see you crossing legally.
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 19:45   #18
don simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustic View Post
Cyclists ! You want to be a pedestrian in towns like Oxford or Cambridge.
Get a "green man" to walk at a pedestrian crossing and you will more than often be cut up by a cyclist having crossed a red light.
Most people expect it too.
Best to carry an umbrella, so they can see you crossing legally.
You're absolutely right Uncle rustic, the number of times that pedestrians step into the road without looking then blaming the cyclist is incredible.
Old 03-07-2016, 20:04   #19
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by don simon View Post
I have been the victim on many occasions of car drivers exhibiting road rage towards the cyclist. The most memorable was the scaffold truck that deliberately tried to run me off the road. It was deliberate because the passenger was laughing and giving me the bird.
Drivers think they can get away with it because there is little chance of getting caught and even if they are caught the courts hand down quite pathetic sentences.

I was told by one driver who passed me with inches to spare that he had to pass me at that particular point... Had to??? What a ridiculous thing to say.

We all have a right to be on the road, it is a shared space. If anything bikes have a right and cars don't. Cyclists don't need permission and a licence issuing from DVLA.
We all make the same contribution to the upkeep of the roads, so share them.
I suggest that anyone who criticises cyclists spend one day on a bike, I bet they haven't got the balls.
Yes we all have to learn to share and have a bit more respect for others in general! Cyclists having more of a right?, if you have have passed tests to make you aware of the rules of the road and how to be safe on them you deserve to be on the road, then tax, mot and insurance that are needed to legally be on the road. I would imagine most cyclists have a car licence too, but as far as I am aware if the cyclist I mentioned in an earlier post knocked my mirror off or caused me to swerve into another vehicle or worse he would have had no insurance to cover any damage or other cost, I think that is unfair.
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 20:17   #20
don simon

Quote:
Yes we all have to learn to share and have a bit more respect for others in general! Cyclists having more of a right?, if you have have passed tests to make you aware of the rules of the road and how to be safe on them you deserve to be on the road, then tax, mot and insurance that are needed to legally be on the road. I would imagine most cyclists have a car licence too, but as far as I am aware if the cyclist I mentioned in an earlier post knocked my mirror off or caused me to swerve into another vehicle or worse he would have had no insurance to cover any damage or other cost, I think that is unfair.
Much as with dashcams, I'm 50:50 on this. The theory I have is that the roads should be safer if no one had insurance and we all had to pay out of our own pockets. It's not that simple though. As the roads are getting more and more crowded I can see that insurance for cyclist is a good idea, I also believe that driving standards and respect for other road users needs to improve massively. I drive 1,500- 2,000 miles per month up and down the north west and the general standard is worse than in Spain.
The second point on insurance is that if cyclist require insurance then it has to be obligatory for pedestrians too.

The comment about rights was slightly tongue in cheek, but being able to hop on a bike without so much as a test hints at it being a right.

We live in a culture where the car is king. This is what has to change. The car is not king and drivers less so.
I drove a Peugeot on Spanish plates and I was often given driving lessons by other drivers.
I drove a little Peugeot 208 and would often be bullied.
I drove a Focus and the bullying reduced.
I drive a Terrano and the bullying stopped.

It's not just bikes that get a hard time. Our attitude to cars, to driving and to other human beings in general is shocking.

Sorry for the rant, but there are a couple of topics that are close to my heart and I feel strongly about.

As you were.
Old 03-07-2016, 20:34   #21
terranosaurusdoug

nowt wrong with a bit of passion

I agree, prevention is better than a cure, road safety education for all, inc pedestrians = prevention
Insurance policy = cure, IF nobody is killed or seriously injured.

Where I live we have a good mix of roads, large vehicles on small roads, horses, cyclists walkers, the occasional stray pony, children. I do not care if I am in the right or wrong, I do not want to be part of somebody losing their life, so I leave space, I am courteous and I don't let my ego or temper get the better of me, most people are the same and no problem. But every now and again pedestrian makes a last minute dash, a horse comes out of a field right into the road just expecting me to slam on or a cyclist will swerve round a pot hole or sunken man hole cover as I am passing them just cos he doesn't want to brake or go over it, poo happens but it ain't worth a life.
Old 03-07-2016, 20:39   #22
don simon

And it's a people issue and not a mode of transport issue. These idiot cyclists will be pillocks when walking, bellends when driving and be the same tosspots who jump queues at the supermarket and stop at the top of escalators.
Esa es la vida...
Old 03-07-2016, 20:41   #23
terranosaurusdoug

Quote:
And it's a people issue and not a mode of transport issue. These idiot cyclists will be pillocks when walking, bellends when driving and be the same tosspots who jump queues at the supermarket and stop at the top of escalators.
Esa es la vida...
I'm off to oz, not many people there and a belting off road scene
Old 03-07-2016, 20:45   #24
don simon

Quote:
I'm off to oz, not many people there and a belting off road scene
Enjoy & watch out for the roos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpul5fSf6qQ
Even the bloody animals have got it in for cyclists!!!
Old 03-07-2016, 20:51   #25
terranosaurusdoug

Quote:
Enjoy & watch out for the roos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpul5fSf6qQ
Even the bloody animals have got it in for cyclists!!!
a laugh or cry moment right there.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:43   #26
perelaar

Vehicle: Terrano II 2.7TDi SWB '97

Just did >3400km all over Europe: Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy. In a "normal" car, without caravan.

And I have to say, I saw a quite some idiot caravan drivers... Imagine, a stretch of German highway without speed limit. We drove at a reasonable speed, about 150km/h. But you know on such a highway people can and will drive at much higher speeds - then why o why do caravan drivers insist on overtaking uphill the moment they see a car approaching?
Happened time and again, with trucks as well. Not to say that most people pulling a caravan did not have an appropriate car to pull it with, and only managed about 80km/h. Half of our speed, and less than a 3rd of the speed of some other cars....

Happy to say though, none of them were from the UK

That being said, the country in which we encountered the least courtesy on the road was NOT Italy as expected, but Austria. Both from bikers and from drivers.
perelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:33   #27
terranosaurusdoug

Non thinkers who don't know how to read a road. Won't catch me slouching with the van on the back, I have to let off pedal on motorways etc, speed creep
Old 04-07-2016, 13:32   #28
perelaar

Vehicle: Terrano II 2.7TDi SWB '97

But then again you tow the caravan with a decent car
perelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 13:38   #29
terranosaurusdoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by perelaar View Post
But then again you tow the caravan with a decent car
Very true, my van is max weight of 1400kg maybe less, and my tezzy can pull 2800kg, so only working at half capacity too

Unlike the auto versions, blocky
Old 04-07-2016, 14:05   #30
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:
Very true, my van is max weight of 1400kg maybe less, and my tezzy can pull 2800kg, so only working at half capacity too

Unlike the auto versions, blocky
Don't start him, you know how upset he gets

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote