Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 06-09-2007, 16:53   #31
(RIP) PLANK
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

There are several threads already running on tyres and squeals i think that may offer sound advice, but i am sure with large chunky tyres on hot dry roads (i find particularly in covered car parks etc.) they do squeal a bit!

However! if it is your rear tyres it could be a sign your diff oil is due for a change but make sure you get the right stuff! there are threads running on this!
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:46   #32
weatherman

Thanksw
Old 16-09-2007, 11:58   #33
grummpyoldgit

Had new pump fitted as old one was leaking slightly,now temp gauge sits at half way and can rise up to three quarters.Nissan dealers said this is normal as its been filled up with virtualy neat coolant ? Is this salesman bull***t or not? Seem to have a light oiley deposit around fan blades, is the new unit leaking? There are a couple of dents in the rad, they look like they've been caused when getting the rad out,dealers say it was'nt us,now theres a suprise. Is it worth fitting a new rad (£140 from Milners)
or am I worrying too much.Not lost any water, changed thermostat.
Old 16-09-2007, 16:29   #34
(RIP) PLANK

if it isn't leaking and the dents arent severe i would leave well alone, you can always get it pressure tested if you are concerned :wink:
Old 25-09-2007, 19:28   #35
Jocky

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol 2.8 TD6 Y61

The time for a new pump has arrived for me.

When returning from a flooded Keswick today driving on A66 my temp gauge was getting a touch to high for my liking. Didn't hear viscous fan kicking in or roaring at the normal temp. Slowed down and temp slowly came back down, also got rid of some heat via the heater :evil: Was nice and hot in the car :wink:

:smile:
Old 25-09-2007, 19:44   #36
SteveP

Hi Gego, I used to a 1995 2.7 Terrano TD and had the same thing when I was towing. Apparently with the turbo diesel when the the engine is under load,and gets beyond the ideal power range ie climbing a long hill etc, the turbo would cause the engine to get hotter than normal. When the engine load is less, like on the flat the temperature would return to normal.It is a normal characteristic of a none intercooled diesel. SteveP
Old 25-09-2007, 20:14   #37
jace

yeagh bet that intercooler scoop helps cool everything down fair bitove air getting rammed downwards through that
Old 26-09-2007, 11:12   #38
Jocky

What I'm saying is the viscous fan didn't start, it normally kicks in and brings temp down when climbing hills.

I've had no problems with it in the past even towed the very same caravan in the hilly and warm regions of northern Spain. The hills are steeper than the mole hills in the UK hahahahaha

So I don't think it is a normal characteristic of the TDI engine, fact is fan didn't work. Never overheated, but temp was way to high

Yes my engine is intercooled

Old 26-09-2007, 15:59   #39
(RIP) PLANK

I can picture exactly what you mean, i didnt realise how bad mine was until i fitted a new pump and then suddenly it was cutting in and out towing up hills, and the temp was better :cry:
Old 26-09-2007, 18:54   #40
Jocky

New pump ordered

Nissan Part No for anyone interested 21010 7F400

My friendly HIGHWAYMAN Nissan Dealer Quoted £160+VAT and even wants £3.60+VAT for the gasket :twisted:
They also quoted £9.95+vat X2 for drive belts as mine is non Air con and has 2 belts, one for powerstearing and one for alternator

Local motor factor quote for QH pump £63.95 INC :smile: will post part no tomorrow

Guess which one I'm buying :?:

QH Part No QCP 3473 Equiv MCP 3473

Won't be fitted for a couple of weeks off on my travels again :cry:
Old 27-09-2007, 17:18   #41
(RIP) PLANK

The QH onw has worked well for us on 3 different T2's ! so i would agree with you!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:23   #42
LouLou

1. Check the rad for general external condition (your changing it anyway so no worries)
2. Add mild or 2-part rad flush after draining the system and follow the flush routine on the bottle(you've drained it already )
3. Back flush the rad (you have a new one )
4. New thermostat
5. New housing (you need on to replace the blob)
6. New pump

= jobs a goodun.................if your head gasket is OK

We tow a two horse box trailer (with two large mares) regularly around the Southern UK. Original viscous fan fitted and the coolant system service as above (1/2/3/4). Temp goes to just below half way up the Mav temp gauge and never any higher
Old 10-09-2008, 22:03   #43
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

i know im late in joining in the line of chat.

I ve had no trouble at all, guage dont move sits still just in the centre all the time towing or not, but my caravan max is only 1241kg.. and im sure we dont get up to that.

with the 806 i had before, it use to get quite warm on long up hill tugs...

Zippy
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 19:13   #44
(RIP) rustygates

Vehicle: 1997 swb + 2003 swb tdi

Hi all,
I tow a caravan 1400kgs + extras must be nearer 1500kgs and have no problem overheating, temp gauge needle is about 25% up the gauge normally and rises very little even on the steepest hills '

rustygates.
Old 14-09-2008, 05:35   #45
Jocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustygates
Hi all,
I tow a caravan 1400kgs + extras must be nearer 1500kgs and have no problem overheating, temp gauge needle is about 25% up the gauge normally and rises very little even on the steepest hills '

rustygates.
So your viscous coupling is working as it should :wink: