Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:03   #1

Default Foot and Mouth

I see from todays news that a new outbreak of "foot and mouth" has been discovered in Surrey.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6930684.stm

Apart from the obvious of pushing up prices again, (they'll soar anyway from the floods) this will have impact on our rights of way network (Green lanes).

A 3km protection zone has been put in place around the premises and a UK ban imposed on movement of all livestock.

Defra has opened up a helpline in response to the latest outbreak. It is on 08459 335577.

At the moment no lanes in the area have been closed, but it will be only a matter of time.

All memebers green lanning in this or other areas are therefore advised to check before setting out, and if neccessary replan or avoid the affected areas. This is an easily spread disease from farm track to farm track. Its so easy to be accused of abusing lanes that it maybe wise to avoid the lanes in Surrey for the meantime.

"In accordance with legislation, all cattle on the Surrey premises will be culled, said a government spokesman."

FOOT-AND-MOUTH DISEASE
Foot-and-mouth is a highly contagious viral disease which affects cattle

Symptoms include fever, lesions in the mouth and lameness

The disease only crosses the species barrier from cattle to human with very great difficulty

The disease in humans is mild, short-lived and requires no medical treatment
Old 04-08-2007, 08:38   #2
Boggert
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

What next...? is it me or just problem after problem...
Boggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 18:51   #3
(RIP) PLANK

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

I think cameraman is right best to keep away from lanes in the area for the time being, as one small mistake now could lead to months of no lanes for anyone
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 11:35   #4

A new outbreak has been found in the same area and a 10 Km restricion zone is in place.

A further restriction of movement of animals has been placed countrywide.

Please check before green laning.

The latest link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6992466.stm
Old 13-09-2007, 19:31   #5
NNMan

As someone from a farming back ground, I would ask people to be careful whereyou go while things like this are about and also to be patient till things get sorted.
NNMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 23:07   #6
(RIP) PLANK

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

well i have been wanting a ouple of gaots for ages, looks like i will have to wait evn longer now :cry:
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 10:31   #7

Copied from wayfinder, as I couldn't put it better myself.

As you will no doubt be aware, there have been a number of both reported and confirmed cases of Foot and Mouth disease recently. Additionally, since 22 September there have been cases of Blue Tongue Disease identified. Wayfinder would advise all users of the countryside to exercise extreme caution and understanding when enjoying our hobby. Please stay away from all rights of way in the areas affected by either of these very devestating diseases and also to be sensitive in other ares.

Be aware that landowners may understandably be aprehensive about the use of rights of way crossing or adjacent to their land even if they are not in an affected area. They have no way to know that the user of the way has not been in an affected area in the recent past.

Further information is available from DEFRA (Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs). The information on their website is updated regularly and you should check the current situation regularly using the links below:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/

http://www.defra.gov.uk/footandmouth/