Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 13-03-2020, 16:00   #1
Vengar
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Nissan terrano 2 2.7 auto
Default Nissan Terrano 2 1999 2.7 auto td, revving issue

Hi everyone newbie here, need some help please! I just bought my first Nissan Terrano 2 1999 2.7td Automatic two days ago. I have noticed or I am maybe wrong and clueless as its my first automatic. However, when driving on the motorway yesterday the revs are at 4000rpm at 60mph and not changing gears it seems. Additionally, the speedo stick is not matching speed it gets stuck and twitches after 40 mins of driving. This was not happening during test drive around town. It has 125k miles when odometer displays correctly. Thanks
Vengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 21:09   #2
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Hi and welcome, I am not to up on after 98 and certainly Auto's, although my Mrs has just acquired one I have not seen much of it yet, other than I have noticed the speedo not being smooth, so something to look into, but will not be this W/E as got Solar to install, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 22:19   #3
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengar View Post
Hi everyone newbie here, need some help please! I just bought my first Nissan Terrano 2 1999 2.7td Automatic two days ago. I have noticed or I am maybe wrong and clueless as its my first automatic. However, when driving on the motorway yesterday the revs are at 4000rpm at 60mph and not changing gears it seems. Additionally, the speedo stick is not matching speed it gets stuck and twitches after 40 mins of driving. This was not happening during test drive around town. It has 125k miles when odometer displays correctly. Thanks
4,000 rpm at 60 mph sounds like its not changing into top gear. I would start by checking your speedo against a Satnav reading. Generally the Satnav will read a few mph less.

From my memory our old 2.7 Auto r3mR would read about about 2,700 in overdrive top at 70 mph.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 23:15   #4
elty001

Vehicle: 2000se+ 2.7tdi terrano II

First thing to check is that overdrive button on the right hand side of the shifter is pressed in.
There is a light on the dash that shows on and off.
My auto cruises at 60mph at around 2000 rpm in overdrive.
Jerky speedo and intermittent led display are down to dry solder joints in the instrument cluster.
elty001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 13:50   #5
rayf3262

Vehicle: Terrano 3.0 SVE 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
Hi and welcome, I am not to up on after 98 and certainly Auto's, although my Mrs has just acquired one I have not seen much of it yet, other than I have noticed the speedo not being smooth, so something to look into, but will not be this W/E as got Solar to install, Rick
Rick, if you look carefully at the speedo face you can see that the speedo needle balance weight is just binding on the face. I think this is due to the black face not being completely flat. The characteristics of "sticking" change with ambient temperature, presumably as the plastic shrinks/expands.
I think if the needle was pulled away from the face by about 0.5~1.0mm that would "fix" it.
Old 14-03-2020, 21:15   #6
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Thank you for that Ray, I am sure I would have spotted that as being the issue, I will be pulling it out as need to look a couple of things up for others, by the way Maggie now she has got used to Auto again is absolutely made up with it, got a couple of auto hubs to go on as soon as, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote