Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Closed Thread

Old 21-04-2020, 21:10   #31
solarman216
Off road maniac
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubbytucker View Post
Well a moment ago you were surmising that no exposure to viruses and the like might make people more susceptible to this virus. By that token the HCP's that have been exposed to it must have been super-full of it and therefore ultra resistant? I fail to see the relevance to your personal hygiene habits as a kid in the context of viral load and mortality.
Well there is more to life than meets the eye, I have built up a very good immune system, but more than that I think fit, ie my way of thinking is that for example cancer is the bodies repair method gone wrong, so if my body can cause cancer then it can repair it, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
Old 21-04-2020, 21:11   #32
solarman216
Off road maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez_uk View Post
Can't wait to see the first prototype mask made from old terranos
I like that, Rick
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
Old 21-04-2020, 22:05   #33
Flying Torquewrench

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol Y61 2.8TD

Rick, I am not arguing with you regarding the spread of droplets etc. You have to look at it from a wider point of view. If you really want perfect social distancing then everybody would be confined to their house. Which is impossible to do as has been proven in the last few weeks. Therefore a workable middle ground has to be found and that is 2 metres. If everybody followed the advice correctly then 2 metres ‘should’ be enough as we should be coughing into our sleeve etc.

However we can both argue till we see blue in the face and probably still won’t agree. Everybody is entitled to their view and each person has a different take on what is best. Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree and move on.
I value your contributions on this forum and your insight is always very welcome. It would be a great shame if a difference of opinion regarding social distancing would come between that.
Old 21-04-2020, 22:16   #34
solarman216
Off road maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Torquewrench View Post

However we can both argue till we see blue in the face and probably still won’t agree. Everybody is entitled to their view and each person has a different take on what is best. Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree and move on.
I value your contributions on this forum and your insight is always very welcome. It would be a great shame if a difference of opinion regarding social distancing would come between that.
Absolutely mate, it is after all just what I think and you think, at the end of the day what happens happens, but it is good to talk about it, Rick
Old 22-04-2020, 13:24   #35
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs up Do all views carry equal weight even when lacking evidence ?

Reading this thread it brings us back to the difference between views that are held by different people.

I am currently reading a psychology book by Jordan Peterson - in the section about arguments with someone he states the following.

When you are arguing with someone, you want to be right, and you want the other person to be wrong. Then it's them that has to sacrifice something and change, not you, and that's much more preferable.

If it's you that's wrong and you must change, then you have to consider yourself - your memories of the past, your manner of being in the present, and your plans for the future. then you must resolve to improve and figure out how to do that.

Then you actually have to do it. That's exhausting. It takes repeated practice, to initiate the new perceptions and make new actions habitual. It's much easier just not to realize, admit and engage. It's much easier to turn your attention away from the truth and remain wilfully blind.

You must decide whether to insist upon the absolute correctness of your view, or to listen and negotiate.
Old 22-04-2020, 18:37   #36
solarman216
Off road maniac

Think I will have a couple of scotches before I comment on that Ted very interesting read, Rick
Old 22-04-2020, 20:38   #37
macabethiel

Thumbs up That's a good idea Rick !

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
Think I will have a couple of scotches before I comment on that Ted very interesting read, Rick
Just wish I could drink more than the 9-14 units a week I have had to limit myself to on advice from HFC Nurse. I'll toast to that with an Alcohol Free Beer !
Old 22-04-2020, 21:40   #38
solarman216
Off road maniac

Well having considered this over a glass or two, I do not regard my views as "arguing" they are simply my thoughts in a very unknown situation, even the so called experts cannot agree, one thing that is agreed is that this is going to be extremely bad for our economy and will take years to recover, yet the powers that be, are running round not knowing what to do, also take the red tape that delayed the air lift from Istanbul, absolutely in disbelief that in this current situation it can be allowed to happen, also the remote testing that should have stated this week but has been delayed because it has been deemed that testers have to be "accredited" FGS red tape by idiots who want to safeguard their jobs, this is not "arguing" nor am I saying I am right, just commenting on my own observations, Rick
Old 23-04-2020, 10:10   #39
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
Reading this thread it brings us back to the difference between views that are held by different people.

I am currently reading a psychology book by Jordan Peterson - in the section about arguments with someone he states the following.

When you are arguing with someone, you want to be right, and you want the other person to be wrong. Then it's them that has to sacrifice something and change, not you, and that's much more preferable.

If it's you that's wrong and you must change, then you have to consider yourself - your memories of the past, your manner of being in the present, and your plans for the future. then you must resolve to improve and figure out how to do that.

Then you actually have to do it. That's exhausting. It takes repeated practice, to initiate the new perceptions and make new actions habitual. It's much easier just not to realize, admit and engage. It's much easier to turn your attention away from the truth and remain wilfully blind.

You must decide whether to insist upon the absolute correctness of your view, or to listen and negotiate.
I like Jordan Peterson, I like to watch people interview him or question him, he is all over YouTube.
Old 23-04-2020, 11:21   #40
macabethiel

Default I will definitely look at some Videos now !

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranosaurusdoug View Post
I like Jordan Peterson, I like to watch people interview him or question him, he is all over YouTube.
My Brother in Law speaks highly of him I will do some watching on You Tube.

It has taken me 3 months of bedtime reading to finish the book - several times I had to re-read whole Chapters.

My previous Christmas Book - The Idiot Brain took me a week! Its a much lighter read.
Old 23-04-2020, 22:43   #41
solarman216
Off road maniac

In the paper today, 50,000 cancer patients may die if we do not lift this lockdown soon, sort of puts the 20,000 corona deaths in the shade or what? Rick
Old 23-04-2020, 23:05   #42
solarman216
Off road maniac

Add to that the likely suicides and other life threatening conditions not currently being treated, and you begin to see that to save lives we need to get back to work now, only my opinion i hasten to add but think about it, Rick
Old 24-04-2020, 01:18   #43
macabethiel

Default That's just not true Rick the figures are false the clue is "MAY"

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
In the paper today, 50,000 cancer patients may die if we do not lift this lockdown soon, sort of puts the 20,000 corona deaths in the shade or what? Rick
Cancer treatments are still being done pretty much as usual.

it's just some journalist making up another scare story by extrapolating data from some delays to treatment.

The Covid 19 deaths are far from over Rick expect the final figures to substantially exceed 30,000 is my guess. The surgery where Wendy works usually has one patient death in an week on average.

If we are halfway through the worst this weekend then we are looking at double the total figures when we hit the peak. The deaths will fall off with a similar slope to the rise,

Wendy was quite upset when she got home today - this week it has been 5 deaths up to Wednesday. That's a massive increase in weekly deaths.
Old 24-04-2020, 01:33   #44
solarman216
Off road maniac

Fair point Ted thanks, Rick
Old 24-04-2020, 09:14   #45
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
Cancer treatments are still being done pretty much as usual.

it's just some journalist making up another scare story by extrapolating data from some delays to treatment.

The Covid 19 deaths are far from over Rick expect the final figures to substantially exceed 30,000 is my guess. The surgery where Wendy works usually has one patient death in an week on average.

If we are halfway through the worst this weekend then we are looking at double the total figures when we hit the peak. The deaths wall fall off with a similar slope to the rise,

Wendy was quite upset when she got home today - this week it has been 5 deaths up to Wednesday. That's a massive increase in weekly deaths.
Those numbers are both shocking and saddening. They are so much worse than should have been as we know that stricter lockdown, sooner and widespread testing would have significantly reduced them.
Closed Thread