Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 19-12-2007, 09:38   #1

Default 2.4 with lpg

Hi i know some of you have 2.4 terranos with lpg conversions, i am thinking of buying one & wondered what equivalent mpg you would get & if there are any down sides to lpg ? many thanks :?
Old 19-12-2007, 09:48   #2
Terranosaurus
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 2001 2.7 TDi T2 SWB

Mines running badly at the moment, think I need to remove the EGR, but when running well it will return around 20mpg on gas which is the equivalent of over 40mpg for petrol as LPG is under half the price of petrol.

Disadvantages are mainly the availability of LPG, its not bad near the major road network and cities but stray into the wilds and you're on your own.

Mines done with the gas tank in place of the petrol tank and a 20L auxiliary tank under the drivers seat(under the floor though) this gives very little range on petrol, also the tank stuck out below the chasis rails making it the lowest point of the truck and very vunerable, some 6mm Dural and a body lift got it up behind the chassis and guarded but that wouldn't be everyones cup of tea, if jut for the road not an issue at all though.

Some are done by putting the gas tank across the boot which obviously takes up boot spaces. With the LWB it is possible to have both tanks under the back as there is more space behind the axle.
Terranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 20:11   #3
Rodan

Default LPG 2.4 mav

I've had an lpg mav for the last 2 months - been learning as I go along, fuel consumption is very similar to petrol ie 22-25 to the gallon but lpg is half the cost of petrol so its reasonable. Runs well and there are plenty of lpg suppliers around my local. I really like the car to drive and it works well off road!
Old 20-12-2007, 11:03   #4
theduck

I don't have an LPG car at the moment but when I did found it OK if you are towing a caravan you just have to plan your route better , it's ok if you go on the continent but you will need an adaptor but forget Spain they don't (or didn't have ) any.
theduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 18:30   #5

Thanks for all the info so far, we are going to test drive it tomorrow so shall tell you all what i think, its up at £2000 for a 1996 face lift model which i didnt think is to bad, my only concern is would i be better with a diesel for economy or would the lpg work out cheaper :?
Old 21-12-2007, 11:18   #6
theduck

Personally now that I have had both types of vehicle I would only go for Diesel, my reasons are it is more readly available, you don't have to be so fussy over changing oil,spark plugs, air filter, although it may seem only a trival matter it is something to bear in mind. the reason you will have to change the spark plugs is that they burn hotter and therefore where out quicker as they also have to have the gap closer (check what the gap is with a LPG fitter) every thing has to be at optimum performance.

Hope you make the right decision, at the end of the day it's up to you :smile:

Regards

Dave the duck
Old 21-12-2007, 11:28   #7
Terranosaurus

Vehicle: 2001 2.7 TDi T2 SWB

Theres no fuel filter to change on the plus side.

Fit platinum 60,000 mile plugs and change every 2 services and theres no problem

Why do you say need to be fussy about oil?
Terranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 14:55   #8
theduck

:roll: :?: can't remember about the oil ops: fuel filter £9.00 but like I said HB it's only what I prefer another + for LPG its a petrol engine so it's not so noisey. still I love me 2.7TDi I've gone off petrol :smile:
Old 21-12-2007, 18:19   #9

Went to test drive the lpg terrano today & it was very disappointing, it ran ok but the body was very tatty so i think its going to be a newer diesel instead.
Many thanks again for all your comments :smile: