Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 12-11-2018, 19:37   #1
Wallace
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: '97 Terrano II 2.4 Xtreme
Default Thought I had better post........

........as I have been lurking for a while.

Browsed the site for a while trying to make my mind up what to do with the Terrano I have had sitting for a number of years and decided to get an Mot and go from there with a view to replacing my work hack Fiesta, it's a '97 2.4 Xtreme in completely standard trim other than a towbar. I bought the car from a friend in 2011 and he owned it for 6 years, looking at the Mot history we stopped using the car that year and it joined the transport museum.

I'm having fun with it! Has already let both the missus and I down as the starter motor commutator partially broke up and destroyed the brush pack, probably more a case of the brushes wearing out destroying the commutator. The temperature gauge has been faulty since my mate had it, reads a little high despite changing the sender and I found the one the second different one he bought back in 2010 in the glovebox! IR thermometer shows temperature to be ok though so we just put that down as 'character'.

This morning on the work trip the heater wasn't giving a great deal of heat so I'll drag it in the garage later to see if there's a bleed point that needs relieving as it was ok last week.

Cheers.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 20:14   #2
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

No bleed point on the heater but if I remember correctly, and that is a tall order, I think there is a bleed screw on or near the front of the inlet manifold, it is marked "do not remove when hot", Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 21:09   #3
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
........as I have been lurking for a while.

Browsed the site for a while trying to make my mind up what to do with the Terrano I have had sitting for a number of years and decided to get an Mot and go from there with a view to replacing my work hack Fiesta, it's a '97 2.4 Xtreme in completely standard trim other than a towbar. I bought the car from a friend in 2011 and he owned it for 6 years, looking at the Mot history we stopped using the car that year and it joined the transport museum.

I'm having fun with it! Has already let both the missus and I down as the starter motor commutator partially broke up and destroyed the brush pack, probably more a case of the brushes wearing out destroying the commutator. The temperature gauge has been faulty since my mate had it, reads a little high despite changing the sender and I found the one the second different one he bought back in 2010 in the glovebox! IR thermometer shows temperature to be ok though so we just put that down as 'character'.

This morning on the work trip the heater wasn't giving a great deal of heat so I'll drag it in the garage later to see if there's a bleed point that needs relieving as it was ok last week.

Cheers.
Sounds like your thermostat could be giving up to me mate

Worth checking it, get it on the boil and see

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 22:53   #4
Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
No bleed point on the heater but if I remember correctly, and that is a tall order, I think there is a bleed screw on or near the front of the inlet manifold, it is marked "do not remove when hot", Rick

Thanks Rick, had a quick look with my phone torch at 06:30 this morning and nothing I could see on the heater hoses, I'm just into my fourth bottle of Hobgoblin so it will have to wait until tomorrow evening or lunchtime tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Sounds like your thermostat could be giving up to me mate

Worth checking it, get it on the boil and see
Radiator and head etc all seem to have consistently normal temperatures as they did when my mate had it and the temperature gauge started reading high. Viscous fan is working ok, the coolant needs changing so I'll check the thermostat whilst drained for peace of mind and probably change it anyhow unless it's horrendously expensive. Really want to get a couple of hundred more miles on it and a bit more fresh fuel through before servicing, just odd that the heater was blasting hot air last week and the gauge reads the same.

I'm told I like a challenge!
Old 27-11-2018, 20:50   #5
Wallace

Best part of 500 miles on it now and payday is looming so I will give it a service. Digital clock in the dash works ok but not the illumination, is that a known fault? Original Nissan radio display has given up which is a shame as it works ok and I like how basic it is. Looks like I will have to swap it as my missus listens to a different station.

Quite like driving it, a few rattles to sort that sounds like the exhaust on it's last legs and a bit of an odd induction growl as the revs rise I don't remember being there before.

Hunting about for a Workshop Manual, can only find photocopies of a Nissan manual on Ebay or a CD, is there anything available?

Cheers.
Old 27-11-2018, 21:11   #6
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

If the clock is the same as the TD2.7's, then there is a wedge bulb behind it that supplies the illumination.

Displays on radios are a huge problem, and it is easier to fit an after-market radio, than try and find a working replacement Nissan one. The radio is coded to the ECU when they are first connected, and will not work on another ECU, so you can't just go and get one from a breaker, even if you did find one with a good display.

The workshop manual is available in the downloads, but to get access to that, you will need to pay your £10 membership.

Ohhh... and before condemning the exhaust, check the metal panels on the side steps (if you have them) as the aluminium corrodes away from the steel bolts, and they start to rattle. Also there are some heat shields riveted to the floor above the exhaust, and they also come loose and rattle.
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 22:27   #7
Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Ferret View Post
If the clock is the same as the TD2.7's, then there is a wedge bulb behind it that supplies the illumination.

Displays on radios are a huge problem, and it is easier to fit an after-market radio, than try and find a working replacement Nissan one. The radio is coded to the ECU when they are first connected, and will not work on another ECU, so you can't just go and get one from a breaker, even if you did find one with a good display.

The workshop manual is available in the downloads, but to get access to that, you will need to pay your £10 membership.

Ohhh... and before condemning the exhaust, check the metal panels on the side steps (if you have them) as the aluminium corrodes away from the steel bolts, and they start to rattle. Also there are some heat shields riveted to the floor above the exhaust, and they also come loose and rattle.
Thanks, I will whip the dash out and have a look at the display bulb, all the others are nice and bright. Had a feeling that might be the case with the Nissan radio, I have nicked the Panasonic radio/CD player out of the Fiesta I was driving but needs the plugs altering to DIN.

Mate who had the car before me mentioned that he replaced a few back boxes as they rot, it does seem to give off a fair bit of steam condensate from cold.

Weather isn't nice at the moment and cannot get in the workshop as I have an Interceptor in bits. Is the workshop manual download a factory copy?

Mike
Old 27-11-2018, 22:35   #8
Davey Boy

Vehicle: Patrol ZD30 SVE

A have a Jensen and you like drinking Hobby.
Looking forward to meeting you Wallace!

Davey
Davey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 23:07   #9
Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
A have a Jensen and you like drinking Hobby.
Looking forward to meeting you Wallace!

Davey
This one is not mine, sold that some years back. I work on a couple and have use of them when here, this one is a '69 MkI. Prices have gone mad and it's taken the fun out, I worry a bit more about driving them and trips to Tesco are only for fuel now not beer!
Old 27-11-2018, 23:20   #10
Lazy-Ferret

Quote:
Thanks, I will whip the dash out and have a look at the display bulb, all the others are nice and bright. Had a feeling that might be the case with the Nissan radio, I have nicked the Panasonic radio/CD player out of the Fiesta I was driving but needs the plugs altering to DIN.

Mate who had the car before me mentioned that he replaced a few back boxes as they rot, it does seem to give off a fair bit of steam condensate from cold.

Weather isn't nice at the moment and cannot get in the workshop as I have an Interceptor in bits. Is the workshop manual download a factory copy?

Mike
They do a Din converter for the Terrano, ironically, it's a Panasonic I nicked from my wife's Volvo in mine.. You will also need a converter for the aerial lead, as the Nissan one looks a bit like a coat press stud.

Not sure on the workshop down load, I guess it is the Factory one, it's a proper one with all the info and specs in, but the only problem is, they kept changing the T2's, and not bothering updating the manual, so some items take a bit more checking for as the T2's get newer, as not always in the place they say.
Old 28-11-2018, 13:31   #11
Wallace

I had a look for DIN leads, seems to be a few different types. I have the Fiesta DIN adaptor lead, might as well chop the Nissan radio plugs off and splice them to the Fiesta adaptor if I can figure the connections.
Old 28-11-2018, 14:15   #12
Lazy-Ferret

Quote:
I had a look for DIN leads, seems to be a few different types. I have the Fiesta DIN adaptor lead, might as well chop the Nissan radio plugs off and splice them to the Fiesta adaptor if I can figure the connections.
Only thing is, IIRC, there is not a lot of room behind the radio for a lot of scotchlocks, so you will need enough wire to be able to tuck the connections to one side of the radio.

This is the aerial converter you will need

I can't remember which ISO lead you need, as I have 2 T2's and both are different, and fortunately, neither have had the dash out for a while.
Old 29-11-2018, 21:44   #13
Wallace

Thanks for reminding me about the aerial connection, I might have one in a safe place somewhere.
Old 30-11-2018, 08:45   #14
Wallace

Joined up last night hoping to download a workshop manual and the links do not work. Am I looking in the right place?
Old 30-11-2018, 15:56   #15
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:
Joined up last night hoping to download a workshop manual and the links do not work. Am I looking in the right place?
Right place but they are still all broken

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote