Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 28-08-2018, 16:57   #1
barney russel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: astra
Default Joined for a friend with Terrano problems.

Hi all,

I've joined for a friend that works away all week and doesn't get much time, he owns two 03 reg Nissan Terrano 3.0 LWB's and both have recently broken down, one has something wrong with the diesel pump, not exactly sure what it is but i think it had spill in the name, which he's been told may cost a lot to repair and the other one he bought on Sunday and on the journey home, fifty miles away, something went wrong with the rear diff and is now undrivable so he's not a happy chappy,
Do i have to become a fully paid member to post in the Terrano section as it won't let me post at present?

Many thanks.
barney russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 17:35   #2
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

You'll have to join up and pay the membership fee before you can access any other parts of the forum I'm afraid.

Feel bad for your mate What a nightmare, the 3.0 litre is usually a good engine, now he has two though should be much drama to get him a good one going as he will have spares a plenty

Get some more info off your buddy and post it in the Terrano section and we can go from there, I'd personally be looking to swap the rear diff's over which isn't as bad as it sounds.

The later Terrano's are known for having weaker rear diffs as circa 2001 Dacia started meddling with the Terrano on a cost cutting exercise and swapped the early stronger cast H233 diff for the weaker C200, if he really want's to go to town he should invest in an earlier rear axle and find a front diff to go with it as the ratio's are different on the 3.0

Ian (Blocky) on here has done this swap with plenty of pictures in his brothers unit

I'll post the link but again you won't be able to see it until your a paid up member, who knows, we might even find a buyer for his scrap one when he's finished, or does he intend on repairing both?

http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/f...t=diff&page=13

Post #189 onwards, get a cuppa and admire the mans workmanship

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 17:36   #3
Blocky10

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 3.0 SVE Auto

Hi there.
I have an auto 3ltr on which I had to change the rear axle, as the diff sprung a leak.

I fitted a complete rear axle from an earlier terrano which was a 2.7 and manual and it was a straight swap. You just need to make sure the rear brakes are the larger type and it has the abs sensors fitted. The rear diffs are a cheaper version. I'd consider swapping the diffs over to get a running truck back on the road.

I haven't had any running problems so further info will be needed to try and solve the pump problems.

Membership is just £10 and you will be able to look at and download enough info to problem solve most problems.

EDIT : Nowt to do Zac?
Blocky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 18:02   #4
jims-terrano

Welcome aboard and as said what a nightmare.

The one with the diff problem I’d be tempted to simply change diff oil first, use genuine Limited Slip Diff oil tho as they are sensitive to wrong oil.

Spill pipes?
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 19:35   #5
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Welcome mate, yes agree with Jim change the oil, the first newer type diff I came across I was so convinced something was broke that I removed the cover plate first, and found nothing wrong, re fitted it and filled with new LSD oil and it was as good as gold, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 20:00   #6
barney russel

Thanks for all the welcomes and good advice gents, i did read somewhere this was a friendly forum and it sure looks that way

I think he wants to keep the one he's had the longest (the suspensions been raised which he likes very much!) but repair both and sell the newest one, he bought that one to move some stuff around with his trailer but he's got no chance at the moment,

Yes i think it was something like spill pipes but apparently it can be sent away to be tested and or possibly be prepared or a new one would be expensive, he can't really do much mechanically and his new mechanic is a bit of an unknown quantity at present,

I also read that the diff oil needed to be correct and it would be a good idea if new diff oil was used and it helped it would be a good idea to replace it again in a few hundred miles as it would clean all the build up of gunk out,

I have been looking for a secondhand 3.0 diff but they are not as common as the 2.7 but as he would have to pay someone to do all the work the cheapest fix is the best fix at present, i doubt he'll be that lucky but if a diff oil change sorted it he would be very happy!

Is there anyone near Portsmouth that might be able to take a look by any chance?
Old 28-08-2018, 20:05   #7
barney russel

He did say he was driving the new one home and it felt like it was dragging on one side when he changed lanes, there were no noises on the test drive and he tried to give it a good run, he had to stop because of noise, not sure if wheel locked up but the police towed him off the motorway and apparently the wheel wasn't seized, the recovery driver had major problems unloading it but he was new and the wheel was locked up by that point too, sorry for the lack of accurate symptoms.
Old 28-08-2018, 20:14   #8
Blocky10

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 3.0 SVE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney russel View Post
He did say he was driving the new one home and it felt like it was dragging on one side when he changed lanes, there were no noises on the test drive and he tried to give it a good run, he had to stop because of noise, not sure if wheel locked up but the police towed him off the motorway and apparently the wheel wasn't seized, the recovery driver had major problems unloading it but he was new and the wheel was locked up by that point too, sorry for the lack of accurate symptoms.
Could be the lining come unstuck off the brake shoe. That's more common than it should be too.
Blocky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 20:40   #9
barney russel

That's not too difficult to check, thanks.
Old 28-08-2018, 21:53   #10
jims-terrano

It wasn’t in 4wd by any chance was it? As we’ve discovered on here the 4wd system is very robust but it should only run in 4wd when on a slippery surface to allow wheel slipping which stops transmission wind up. That wind up tension can cause problems driving but it normally finds a way to slip the wheels.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 21:56   #11
barney russel

No i'm pretty sure he said it wasn't in 4wd.
Old 28-08-2018, 22:13   #12
barney russel

I'm paid up now so have started a thread in the Terrano/Maverick engine and running gear section with a better explanation of the engine fault, apparently the fault is with the spill valve module? any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks.
Old 28-08-2018, 22:58   #13
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

As said in your other thread, that is nonsense, spill is a reference to the point of injection timing on an in line pump, it does not apply to rotary pumps, if it was serviced recently the fuel filter may not have been fitted correctly so allowing air in, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 23:02   #14
barney russel

Thanks Rick, it was serviced about four to six weeks ago and has been running fine up until that day, "apparently" the mechanic squirted diesel somewhere into the intake and it started fine until it ran out of fuel again.
Old 28-08-2018, 23:21   #15
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

Check the filter, if they used a crap one could be at fault, sorta sounds like air in system to me though and welcome
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote