Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 29-07-2020, 08:43   #1
Frank
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Nissan terrano 2
Default Terrano fault

Hi everyone Hope your all well I'm new to the forum I've had my nissan terrano 2 2.7 tdi 1997 about 12 months but only just put it on the road .Got a problem when you set of from a junction or traffic lights it stalls unless you increase the revs also if you leave it ticking over for a short time it just shudders and stops engine management light is on been on since I bought the car I have changed the fuel filter and cleaned the maf.sensor but still has this problem any help would be appreciated Regards Frank
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 10:06   #2
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Hi Frank and welcome, can you tell me what pump have you got, easy way to
tell is by the MAF is it Bosch or Hitachi, also have you read the fault codes ? Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 10:58   #3
lfteixeira

Vehicle: Ford Maverick 2.7 LWB

Welcome.

You have the Terrano for 12 months with the EML on? Hummm....

Like solaman216 say'd, first thing it to read the codes to see what's the ECU complaining about.
lfteixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 11:42   #4
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Welcome Frank

I'm going to go straight in with a fuel starvation issue there. If it's a 1997 it's highly likely you will be on a Zexel Injector Pump setup with a Hitachi MAF.

Pop your bonnet and check the behaviour of your plunger on top of your fuel filter housing with the engine running it should be "rock solid" and you shouldn't be able to depress it much, if you can, then you've got air in your fuel system which would ring true with my suspicions.

Another easy way to prove this would be to replace the rubber pipe from the fuel filter housing to the hard line across the bulkhead which is the feed to the IP. Once you've done this, remove your intercooler and then with a 17mm spanner (I think) undo each injector and turn the truck over a few revolutions and then nip them all back up again. Start the truck and again, check for any air bubbles in the clear pipe while running and check the fuel filter primer plunger again.

Did your fuel filter look quite new when you brought the truck? Swapping the filter and not priming the system back up correctly can cause the exact issues you are getting from experience.

If you're still having problems after that, I'd take a quick look at the Hitachi MAF as it's easy accessed from the top and cleanable with electrical contact cleaner.

I'm still saying fuel though, so I'd be leaving the MAF until last and checking the fuel lines back to the fuel tank and then the sender unit inside the tank for debris.

Good Luck

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 18:36   #5
Frank

Hi mate thanks for the advice put new rubber pipes on the filter housing cleaned mad sensor still has fault when you leave it ticking over for about 5 minutes just judders and cuts out but starts up straight away and if you put it in say 3rd gear at about 35 mph it judders cuts put at traffic lights or junctions unless you rev up a bit does seem like fuel problem rev counter has never worked for some reason got the car of a old guy so it's not been hammered can't get a code reader to plug in its a old connecter type 14 pins I think.
Old 17-08-2020, 18:40   #6
Frank

Can't get a code reader to plug in old type connector on the car
Old 17-08-2020, 21:53   #7
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Can't get a code reader to plug in old type connector on the car
Look in Club promo/workshop downloads and read the fault codes, no need for a reader, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 22:30   #8
Frank

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
Hi Frank and welcome, can you tell me what pump have you got, easy way to
tell is by the MAF is it Bosch or Hitachi, also have you read the fault codes ? Rick
Hi it's a Hitachi maf sensor
Old 18-08-2020, 22:37   #9
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Welcome Frank

I'm going to go straight in with a fuel starvation issue there. If it's a 1997 it's highly likely you will be on a Zexel Injector Pump setup with a Hitachi MAF.

Pop your bonnet and check the behaviour of your plunger on top of your fuel filter housing with the engine running it should be "rock solid" and you shouldn't be able to depress it much, if you can, then you've got air in your fuel system which would ring true with my suspicions.

Another easy way to prove this would be to replace the rubber pipe from the fuel filter housing to the hard line across the bulkhead which is the feed to the IP. Once you've done this, remove your intercooler and then with a 17mm spanner (I think) undo each injector and turn the truck over a few revolutions and then nip them all back up again. Start the truck and again, check for any air bubbles in the clear pipe while running and check the fuel filter primer plunger again.

Did your fuel filter look quite new when you brought the truck? Swapping the filter and not priming the system back up correctly can cause the exact issues you are getting from experience.

If you're still having problems after that, I'd take a quick look at the Hitachi MAF as it's easy accessed from the top and cleanable with electrical contact cleaner.

I'm still saying fuel though, so I'd be leaving the MAF until last and checking the fuel lines back to the fuel tank and then the sender unit inside the tank for debris.

Good Luck
Thanks for the information I will put some clear pipe in line and check for air bubbles thanks again
Old 18-08-2020, 22:43   #10
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Welcome Frank

Good Luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfteixeira View Post
Welcome.

You have the Terrano for 12 months with the EML on? Hummm....

Like solaman216 say'd, first thing it to read the codes to see what's the ECU complaining about.
Hi engine management light as been for years looked on the mot history so I doubt if this as had this problem that long but t am trying to get a code reader that has the 14 pin connector they all have the modern one thanks
Old 19-08-2020, 17:38   #11
elty001

Vehicle: 2000se+ 2.7tdi terrano II

You don't need a code reader to access and read the fault codes on these motors.
Unless you are using Nissan consult software you are most likely to get a false code.
In the quick links at the top right of the screen there is a link to the workshop downloads section.
Scroll down until you find the how to access and read fault codes and follow the instructions to get an accurate fault code
elty001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 18:08   #12
Frank

Thanks for your help going to put clear pipe in line to see of there ate any air bubbles
Old 16-10-2020, 08:54   #13
lfteixeira

Vehicle: Ford Maverick 2.7 LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Thanks for your help going to put clear pipe in line to see of there ate any air bubbles
Check the codes, you don't need a code reader.
Only a paper clip and register the number o blinks...

See here in mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTjw5mgzZHg
lfteixeira is offline   Reply With Quote