Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:59   #1
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van
Default Breathing back life.......

The world has changed a lot this year and I appreciate people's priorities may have changed, but as of late the forum has been a barren wasteland for content.

We're lucky to get into double figures of members that log in daily now, whilst I know that it's not a social media platform and people don't NEED to be logging in daily, I am a bit underwhelmed at the lack of mods and upkeep of trucks and even just general chit chat posts.

Does anyone have any bright ideas of what we can do to increase the footfall through here.

Maybe we need to diversify before the social media platforms kill this place off for good

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:08   #2
elty001
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 2000se+ 2.7tdi terrano II

It's not just this forum mate.
So many are in the same situation.
Like you say it's the same handful of members who are logging in on here.

Don't think it will be long until groups like this are a thing of the past
elty001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:21   #3
Banshee

Quote:
Originally Posted by elty001 View Post
It's not just this forum mate.
So many are in the same situation.
Like you say it's the same handful of members who are logging in on here.

Don't think it will be long until groups like this are a thing of the past
I certainly don't feel like updating my project threads much these days anymore

Might just start my own offline journals in Evernote for reference

Old 07-08-2020, 13:49   #4
Fubbytucker

I'll be honest, needing to pay a subscription for the majority of content will put most people off, especially given the low footfall of the forum.
I think the subscription needs to be shelved until the forum attracts more members, then maybe reinstated once there is enough information to justify the cost.

It's a niche group of car owners it is targeting, and the Australian forums are so heavily visited due to the popularity of the marque that a local group is always going to struggle.
Fubbytucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 14:44   #5
Banshee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubbytucker View Post
I'll be honest, needing to pay a subscription for the majority of content will put most people off, especially given the low footfall of the forum.
I think the subscription needs to be shelved until the forum attracts more members, then maybe reinstated once there is enough information to justify the cost.
I don't own the site so can't call the shots on this kind of decision but not entirely sure I agree either.

I joined back in 2012 when I was on the hunt for a truck and easily got my tenners worth of advice in a few days. There's certainly value for money here when you go digging and the search function favours you!!! But at the moment I do think we need new ways of getting people through the door.

One thing that does let this place down hugely is the lack of image hosting in my opinion, the ability to only upload one picture per post is very archaic. The majority of users pre 2016 used to use Photobucket for image hosting which was fantastic until they screwed the world over and locked everyone out of their accounts unless they paid a £300 a year hosting fee for forum embedding. This forum got obliterated and I single handedly hacked the majority of members albums and re uploaded the pictures into new IMGBB albums under my own account and ammended all of the embed codes within the threads. It was a thankless task and I've still not completed it. This is one place we could start I suppose just in case IMGBB go the same way as Photobucket went and we lose everything again. A hell of a lot of threads I fixed would have been USLESS without the pictures fixed, we need our own hosting platform.

My second idea was to try and arrange some decent forum discount with trusted suppliers such as Japanese 4x4 Spares, Pioneer 4x4, JimnyBits, Xpajun etc, more of a managed subscription based discount using your unique profile membership ID rather than a generic "Nissan20" type code that will make it onto Google for every Tom, Dick and Harry to use within a month making it pointless. I ran the same scheme with Milner Off Road successfully for a while until I lost complete trust in the quality of their products and customer service!!!

Does anyone else have any other ideas? I'm all ears and can take them to Bat to see how much of this is feasible

Old 07-08-2020, 20:42   #6
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

This virus shit has devastated a very large portion of peoples lives and the knock on effect is what we are seeing now.

On the good side we are departing for Bournemouth with the tin tent on the 21st to stay at a nice site for 4 days, thereafter heading to CAT at Machynlleth for a few days to have a look at the latest developments after which we will head home, but open ended we can stay longer if anyone wants to do some lanes while we are around it will be welcomed with open arms, Makeitfit, Fez etc
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 16:25   #7
Flying Torquewrench

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol Y61 2.8TD

To be honest Banshee it is a bit of a chicken and egg story.

I log in occasionally and have a look at the project threads. But lately there is not a lot of news on those, hence why I log in less frequently. Having been on the Job Retention Scheme money is a bit tight at the moment and work on the Patrol has taken a backseat.

Unfortunately for the forum, the Terrano and Patrol are the pure 4x4 (no offense intended to anybody) vehicles that get modified. But as you also know they are slowly disappearing from the scene. Look at the Navara threads, not a lot happening on those as they are not really offroad vehicles as a Patrol or Terrano is.
Flying Torquewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 04:00   #8
weedave

Vehicle: Terrano 2
Talking I just wanted to say -Chin up lads

Hey guys,

I am by no means the most active but i just wanted to say to those more experienced and the very hands on project guys.......Please dont stop doing what you do and posting it on here. Loosing that sort of info/experience/skill from a niche site like this would be a great loss to guys like me who do in fact get a lot of education from this place.

Yes i live in NZ (for now anyway) but a while ago i thought i'd have to go back home which after a 6 year slog with immigration here was truly devastating to me until i realised that THIS club had a core group of like minded folk that i could get more involved with and honestly fellas that helped me mentally more than any one will ever know.

I dont do facebook i much prefer finding the down to earth folks who dont mind sharing as opposed to the keyboard guys that just love to bring the negativity into everything....Fxxk them...

I realise the site has been slow but please dont let this unprecedented time in our lives destroy everything....we will bounce back.

Groups like this never die, the might fluctuate in size but c'mon just look at how many people still buy landrovers

To me the key to groups like this is more collective activities.
obviously that is a bit hard to do at the minute but that will improve.

Sorry, felt like i had to clear my chest there!!

Chin Up Fella's - it'll come right.

regards
Dave
weedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 21:49   #9
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Nice to know Dave, keep looking in, it has been quiet of late, partly due to covid but also T2's and Patrols are getting rarer by the day, however I recon my Patrol and the Mrs T2 3ltr will be the last motors we will have, all the time I can maintain them they will last us out, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 08:01   #10
Davey Boy

Vehicle: Patrol ZD30 SVE

As said Zac, these strange times continue to be really hard and confusing.
I’ve appreciated your efforts with this forum since I joined.
Don’t wrap it up yet mate.
This forum is still standing-up where others are folding and going across to being Facebook based Clubs.
I belong to some of these for my overlanding and travelling side of things, but people come and go, say something and bugger off and you can never find them again. Their memberships have grown into thousands, but where are they?
The memberships are very diluted and faceless.
That’s where this Forum is different.
We honestly know each other and each other’s vehicles because we chat and have had the opportunity to meet up.
When we share information or ask questions, that info is available for all to see and it stays available for others to go back and refer to.
Facebook can’t do that.
It’s a wholesome community in this place and I’ve benefited from being a member of it.
Things are changing all the time at the moment. Our lives will settle down to some sort of normal soon.
I’ve personally been really busy with emergency work and Response stuff but never been away if that makes sense. I’m always poppin in for a look about.
Keep well Zac.
Keep Well all!
Davey
Davey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 14:56   #11
FerdiNL

Vehicle: SWB Pajero 3.2 DI-D

Indeed keep things up!

I used to be on a Peugeot Rallye forum, but most enthousiastics ran away from it and it slowely died.
Yes the Patrol and Terrano are getting old and people start getting newer trucks, but there is still an active community.

So keep posting the updates and this forum will stay alive
FerdiNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 03:49   #12
weedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarman216 View Post
Nice to know Dave, keep looking in, it has been quiet of late, partly due to covid but also T2's and Patrols are getting rarer by the day, however I recon my Patrol and the Mrs T2 3ltr will be the last motors we will have, all the time I can maintain them they will last us out, Rick
no worries Rick, just started a thread on the y60 section so i'll be about a while yet

something dawned on me recently (an interesting thought on culture) , those who are in the sheds working on projects, developing the mods and tuning, learning new skills, doing the maintenance etc are the follow on from the mindset that drove the likes of the industrial revolution, a very "English" thing, if no one objects to that statement, and in that thought the cars/trucks/bikes whatever it is your into may change but the mindset wont....good stuff i thought

Plus there's always import's, priced it recently to take mine home from nz, around 2 grand your money.
you can pick up at Td42 Gq y60 around 200,000km (125,000 miles) here from around 4-8 grand (pounds)
Whats the market like your end??

cheers
dave
Old 23-08-2020, 09:55   #13
Barrbeast

Vehicle: 1990 4.2 SWB Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedave View Post
no worries Rick, just started a thread on the y60 section so i'll be about a while yet

something dawned on me recently (an interesting thought on culture) , those who are in the sheds working on projects, developing the mods and tuning, learning new skills, doing the maintenance etc are the follow on from the mindset that drove the likes of the industrial revolution, a very "English" thing, if no one objects to that statement, and in that thought the cars/trucks/bikes whatever it is your into may change but the mindset wont....good stuff i thought

Plus there's always import's, priced it recently to take mine home from nz, around 2 grand your money.
you can pick up at Td42 Gq y60 around 200,000km (125,000 miles) here from around 4-8 grand (pounds)
Whats the market like your end??

cheers
dave
Similar prices here I think but far far rarer, even rotten ones make upwards of 3k at least if they have a TD42 engine, SWB especially!
Barrbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 14:52   #14
Flying Torquewrench

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol Y61 2.8TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedave View Post
a very "English" thing, if no one objects to that statement
Hopefully somebody objects as I am Dutch lived in the UK for 20+ years though. Does this mean that I am no longer welcome?. .
Flying Torquewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 22:53   #15
weedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Torquewrench View Post
Hopefully somebody objects as I am Dutch lived in the UK for 20+ years though. Does this mean that I am no longer welcome?. .
with a username like yours how could you not be welcome...

ssssshhhh i'm from Northern Ireland, giving Englishmen compliments is not really allowed....