Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 08-07-2018, 19:15   #1
jims-terrano
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Default What Dash Cam Advice

Is there anyone on here that uses dash cams? I fitted them to all the cars in our family after my wifes accident, closing the gate after the horse has bolted and all that. Anyway although I’m generally satisfied with ours Rexin Front and Rear systems I have found that number plates can be a little tricky to read when I view footage on the laptop. Night time footage is even worse for detail but would prove what another vehicle was doing ect.

What other dash cams are people using and is anyone having problems with the heat especially the sticky pads that hold them.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 20:03   #2
RJL Services

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano 2.7 2003

jim i use nextbase cams as they seem to be good quailty i have 2 of the 312gw i got of amazon one in my car one in the wifes car i find these good as they are wifi and are updateable via nextbase software which also gives you a player to view your recordings has gps and speed data built in you can put your vehicle reg in it to show which vehicle it was used for i have tried the cheaper ones that are crap i think it is a case that you get what you pay for which i why i have four or five cheap ones in the draw also it is always a good idea to have a good quailtity sd card too hope this helps also you window warning sticker if you want to put it on they have been stuck to the windscreen since i bought them the camera just slides out of the mount so if you want to take it out mount and wires stay put i also hard wired them too i hope this helps
RJL Services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 20:06   #3
jims-terrano

These aren’t the cheapest in fact about £80 when I bought them. I got these because they are very discreet. I’d rather not have them too easily spotted as they can work against you as well as for you.
Old 08-07-2018, 20:25   #4
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

In spite of what I said in Edale, I finally had an incident with a Shearings Holiday bus driver on Friday that has forced my hand and I've decided to get a SJ5000 for £90. It's not a dedicated dashcam, but I also wanted a more versatile camera.
I have a feeling that night time quality might be an issue.
If it weren't this one, it'd probably be a Nextbase 212 or 312, they get the best reviews.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 20:40   #5
Jay666d

Vehicle: Patrol GU3 (Y61) 3.0 SVE

I've never been a fan of the Dash-Cams that have screens built in to the back of them.

Way back a bit, I had a 2 Channel Blackvue 650.

The image wasn't terrible, and the tech moves so fast I'm sure it will be even better now!

But since I last looked, theres so many other brands on the market, and then copies of those brands!
Jay666d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 20:51   #6
jims-terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay666d View Post
I've never been a fan of the Dash-Cams that have screens built in to the back of them.

Way back a bit, I had a 2 Channel Blackvue 650.

The image wasn't terrible, and the tech moves so fast I'm sure it will be even better now!

But since I last looked, theres so many other brands on the market, and then copies of those brands!
Don’t forget all the weird and wonderful names they all have
Old 09-07-2018, 06:23   #7
briggie

Vehicle: " alice "

hi jim ,

I have 2 nextbase dash cams , plus a old blackvue ( that doesn't work ) I stick the old blackvue in the rear window so drivers think im recording them ,

the nextbase are very good and have saved me a lot of money after a surgeon smashed my wing mirror off in baildon and then denied it , the police came to my house , viewed the footage and then agreed it was his fault
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 17:24   #8
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs up Thinkware 770 F & R

I have a Thinkware 770 F & R unit the front camera is very discreet, rear one less so.
View it via a Mobile Phone App as there is no screen. Had it fitted & set up by an online firm recommended by a mate who had parking sensors parking fitted to his Panda Penguin 4x4.

Only wire you can see is the one to the rear camera.

You can read number plates easily even at night. Also has two different modes when parked up.

Think the model has been replaced now, wireless mode for downloads or remove the memory card. Hand button to press for continuous recording.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 18:31   #9
Mav96

Vehicle: Maverick 96 2.7 Lwb Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
I have a Thinkware 770 F & R unit the front camera is very discreet, rear one less so.
View it via a Mobile Phone App as there is no screen. Had it fitted & set up by an online firm recommended by a mate who had parking sensors parking fitted to his Panda Penguin 4x4.

Only wire you can see is the one to the rear camera.

You can read number plates easily even at night. Also has two different modes when parked up.

Think the model has been replaced now, wireless mode for downloads or remove the memory card. Hand button to press for continuous recording.
I myself am leaning to one of these avg/£230, or maybe one of the 2 newer models? £300 ish

Can you tell me if the security light is always blinking, cheers
Mav96 is offline   Reply With Quote